Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New Glasses at Specsavers not right - wait til Oz?

New Glasses at Specsavers not right - wait til Oz?

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:17 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Default New Glasses at Specsavers not right - wait til Oz?

Hi all,

Sorry this is slightly long-winded...! I wear prescription glasses, with fairly small adjustments to my vision, but for most of the day. Been going to Specsavers for about 6 years now and they've always been great quality etc, fit perfect, and improve my vision.

Now this time I went after my 2 years, had eye-test, slight change but decided to buy new specs as 1) BOGOF offer was on and 2) I'd stood on my spare pair so only had my current pair. What I found hard firstly was how limited the choice was if you just wanted a fairly plain small pair of half-rim glasses... They used to have loads of them, but this time they were all diamante, bright greens, huge holes in the side, too OTT for my face.

I finally managed to find 2 pairs but had to compromise on styles etc, but they look nice enough. When I came back in to pick them up, the lenses didn't feel right. My right eye was blurred and the whole world was distorted, which I said to the woman - 'just persevere' she said, glasses take time to adjust to. I said even though they never have before? And with a very slight change? She said yes so ok off I went to try them.

Took them back 2 days later, definitely not right, I can't focus with them on. Retested and the new test said my right eye needed a stronger prescription than last time, whereas the test they did the week before said my right needed a weaker one (hence why it was blurry). I appreciate this is the difficulty with tests where they say 'which is better, 1 or 2?' and it can be hard to identify, so I was happy enough when they said they'd replace the lenses to the new script.

Went back in, tried them on, no still wrong - can focus now but the world is still distorted, when I turn my head or anything - looking straight ahead at one spot was fine though.

She checked they were made up to the right script, yes. I said it's not that, it's the lenses or something, I can SEE fine through them. Sent me off to try them again but I knew still wrong. So back again 2 days later, where the girl checked and said the lenses seemed to be too flat maybe, so she faffed around altering them in the machine and now they are better but still not right. Tells me to try them again! But I KNOW when I can't see right... With my glasses usually, put them on and that's it, don't notice them. With full frames, half-rim, thick sides, everything, I never noticed a problem. These are similar style to my current pair so shouldn't matter.

I feel like they think I'm just being difficult but I know I can't wear these, and don't want to be stuck with them after spending nearly £125 to get them. I rang up today and was told again 'glasses take time to adjust to' - I know what they mean, in that if you look out the gaps in the sides you can see the world at your normal vision. But it's not that!! My whole perception is wonky with them on, particularly the right lense.

I feel like saying, just leave it, there's something wrong that you can't fix and I've had enough. Every time I come away and wear them for 2 days, and I end up with severe headaches, frowning, aching eyes and generally grumpy about the fact I can't see properly.

Would I be within my rights to say I want to just give up, if they can't do anything else to fix it? It's with 2 pairs of glasses so it's not a frame style that's the problem. Their policy is "We want you to be completely happy with your purchase at Specsavers Opticians. If you have any concerns within six months of the date of your purchase we will put it right. No quibble, no fuss."

I was nearly in tears yesterday so frustrated at this, and have never had problems sorting my glasses before. I just want to be able to see properly!!

How does the price compare in Australia? Would it be worthwhile me getting glasses out there or cheaper here?

So confused but just want it sorted. It feels like it is becoming a Saga...

lerato
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:09 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Glasses at Specsavers not right - wait til Oz?

L, this sucks, I agree. Your glasses have GOT to be right. There is a place where people get their glasses from here which is mail order - let me see if I can find the link....

Here you are:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ses+mail+order

Have a look through that.

It certainly sounds like you need to go back and stamp your foot... but see a manager or ring their head office. I'd ask for my money back and go elsewhere if they can't get it right for you.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

Hey,

I had a similiar problem with Specsavers, really disappointed with the company. In a nutshell, I got my eyes tested before going travelling for a year. There was a slight change to my prescription and they also told me that I had an astigmatism in the right eye which had gone undetected all my life.

At the end of the test I did say that I felt there was a blur and I wasn't seeing the letters on the board properly but she said that I would get used to my new prescription in no time.

Picked out frames etc and off I went presuming that all was good. Started to use new specs whilst travelling and there was a constant blur, headaches were awful, they were just wrong, simple as that. Luckily I had an old pair to wear for my trip so at least I could see something!

When I returned home I went to an alternative optician to find out for certain that Specsavers were wrong. And so they were, the astigmatism was a figment of their imagination and my prescription was wrong.:curse::curse::curse: Alternative optician was a bit surprised at how bad it was, diagnosing an astigmatism when it didn't exist was a bit of a shock for her!

Spoke to Specsavers but was unable to get my money back as it had been too long but I wasn't too bothered, just happy to find a decent optician at the end of it.

Incidently I have a friend with a similiar story, only found out afterwards. She now has regular tests at her local opticians and still avails of the BOGOF offer at Specsavers as they accept her test results from her optician.

It gets frustrating when you feel that they aren't listening but do your best to get your money back. All I can say to you is that you are not imagining it, if the specs don't feel right then they aren't right for you.

Good luck!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Make a fuss and get your money back. Eyes are too important to let places like that get away with bad service. I used Specsavers once and never again. They were offering a BOGOF offer and I used them instead of the wonderful small place I'd been too since 3 years old. The moron diagnosed me wrongly and didn't pick up on surgery I'd had done at 3 years old even though the scar can still be seen through their equipment. :curse:
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:09 am
ABCDiamond

I've just come back from a Spec shop in Capalaba.

A pair of lenses to fit my daughters own frames were $68 standard prescription, (thin lenses, anti glare etc is extra).
or, with new frames, from a small range, was $89

They also do a free pair with any pair over $189.

I got a quote for transitions which were about $200 cheaper than the normal Optician that I use.

When you do get here, shop around...

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:11 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

you can try www.selectspecs.com which do great prices compared to the high street....

Steve
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi all,

Sorry this is slightly long-winded...! I wear prescription glasses, with fairly small adjustments to my vision, but for most of the day. Been going to Specsavers for about 6 years now and they've always been great quality etc, fit perfect, and improve my vision.

Now this time I went after my 2 years, had eye-test, slight change but decided to buy new specs as 1) BOGOF offer was on and 2) I'd stood on my spare pair so only had my current pair. What I found hard firstly was how limited the choice was if you just wanted a fairly plain small pair of half-rim glasses... They used to have loads of them, but this time they were all diamante, bright greens, huge holes in the side, too OTT for my face.

I finally managed to find 2 pairs but had to compromise on styles etc, but they look nice enough. When I came back in to pick them up, the lenses didn't feel right. My right eye was blurred and the whole world was distorted, which I said to the woman - 'just persevere' she said, glasses take time to adjust to. I said even though they never have before? And with a very slight change? She said yes so ok off I went to try them.

Took them back 2 days later, definitely not right, I can't focus with them on. Retested and the new test said my right eye needed a stronger prescription than last time, whereas the test they did the week before said my right needed a weaker one (hence why it was blurry). I appreciate this is the difficulty with tests where they say 'which is better, 1 or 2?' and it can be hard to identify, so I was happy enough when they said they'd replace the lenses to the new script.

Went back in, tried them on, no still wrong - can focus now but the world is still distorted, when I turn my head or anything - looking straight ahead at one spot was fine though.

She checked they were made up to the right script, yes. I said it's not that, it's the lenses or something, I can SEE fine through them. Sent me off to try them again but I knew still wrong. So back again 2 days later, where the girl checked and said the lenses seemed to be too flat maybe, so she faffed around altering them in the machine and now they are better but still not right. Tells me to try them again! But I KNOW when I can't see right... With my glasses usually, put them on and that's it, don't notice them. With full frames, half-rim, thick sides, everything, I never noticed a problem. These are similar style to my current pair so shouldn't matter.

I feel like they think I'm just being difficult but I know I can't wear these, and don't want to be stuck with them after spending nearly £125 to get them. I rang up today and was told again 'glasses take time to adjust to' - I know what they mean, in that if you look out the gaps in the sides you can see the world at your normal vision. But it's not that!! My whole perception is wonky with them on, particularly the right lense.

I feel like saying, just leave it, there's something wrong that you can't fix and I've had enough. Every time I come away and wear them for 2 days, and I end up with severe headaches, frowning, aching eyes and generally grumpy about the fact I can't see properly.

Would I be within my rights to say I want to just give up, if they can't do anything else to fix it? It's with 2 pairs of glasses so it's not a frame style that's the problem. Their policy is "We want you to be completely happy with your purchase at Specsavers Opticians. If you have any concerns within six months of the date of your purchase we will put it right. No quibble, no fuss."

I was nearly in tears yesterday so frustrated at this, and have never had problems sorting my glasses before. I just want to be able to see properly!!

How does the price compare in Australia? Would it be worthwhile me getting glasses out there or cheaper here?

So confused but just want it sorted. It feels like it is becoming a Saga...

lerato
i usedto work for specsavers as an optometrist.

their attitude was get rid of complaints by saying it was the patient's fault.

go back, insist on your money back, and go to an independent optom i.e not tesco, asda, vision express, boots, etc.

much better standard of customer care.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:42 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going into town this afternoon so hopefully get it sorted

They make me feel silly each time I go in saying, well your script is correct so you should be able to see fine. But I CAN'T!!

Thanks ianandhelena for being honest about when you worked there, I'm just going to have to use their 'no quibble, no fuss' thing to make sure they don't try and say it's just me...

moneypen20, it seems like people either have good or bad luck at S.S from what I've read on net. Sorry they were so crap with your eyes... when I had my first eye exam this time around, the woman was like, how many dots can you see? I said none...your head is literally IN my eye ! She didn't even repeat that part of the test, so that can't be good...

lilsweets, that's exactly what I didn't want to happen too, go off to Sydney with these glasses that make me feel ill and don't help me to see. Shame you couldn't get your money back on them. I've been told different things about my astigmatism...first, there was one, then 2, then one, now there's still one, but it got better, then worse, then better....now it's stayed the same. Do I believe I even have one? I'm not so sure anymore!!

tiddlypom, thanks for the thread link, will have a look at that definitely. My dad gets some from a cheap specs place on the outskirts of town, sounds similar to these types of online places. Half-rimmed for £18!

Will let you know what happens after this afternoon's visit...I may well end up in tears!!! But I'll be damned if they're keeping my money and me keeping these crappy vision glasses. So THERE!!

lerato
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that specs can cost a fortune here in Oz. An example -

I came here with a natty pair of Rodenstock titanium frames and multifocal, transisions lenses which I had just bought in the States. They were perfect (I have a lot of astigmatism and some myopia) and cost US$236 in 2004.

Last year I messed up one lens so had another set of identical lenses made here and put into the same frame.

Cost (lenses only, remember) AU$760.

It took them three sets of lenses to get it nearly right, at which stage I gave up and accepted the third pair even though the astigmatism correction didn't work too well due to the fact they had the IOD slightly wrong.

A couple of months ago one lens came detatched from the frame since the plastic was inferior................

Just be careful.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
Be aware that specs can cost a fortune here in Oz. An example -

I came here with a natty pair of Rodenstock titanium frames and multifocal, transisions lenses which I had just bought in the States.
Some Rodenstock prices here: http://www.visiondirect.com.au/desig...enstock_1.html

Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's a very interesting site: thanks.

I had to have full correction for my job when I was working, and with a considerable degree of astigmatism the prescription and construction of the lenses was critical. I used to find that only in the US and Hong Kong could I be reasonably sure of getting a decent result - and at a fraction of the cost of the UK, too! As for Oz..........
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
That's a very interesting site: thanks.

I had to have full correction for my job when I was working, and with a considerable degree of astigmatism the prescription and construction of the lenses was critical. I used to find that only in the US and Hong Kong could I be reasonably sure of getting a decent result - and at a fraction of the cost of the UK, too! As for Oz..........
How's this for Contact lenses:

90 pairs of Ciba Vision Focus Daily All Day Comfort

UK £95.00
http://www.optiquevision.co.uk/produ...id=346&search=

Australia
OPSM - $176.00 (about £80)
http://www.opsmdirect.com.au/Ciba-Vi...Aqua-90PK.html

I last paid $114.42 (about £52)

Always pays to shop around

Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair enough, but when buying specs it's almost a requirement to get them locally if you have a prescription like mine - a mm difference in the IOD as made up renders the specs virtually useless - as my first two sets were. I would imagine that trying to get satisfaction by post would be nigh on impossible!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:48 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I had some glasses from Specsavers and I knew they were not right. Some tosser in the Torquay branch - told me 'it was my fault' and the headaches were in my mind.

My voice became louder and louder and I argued the toss with him for an hour, in the end he was so furious, he gave me a refund.

This has happened twice with Vision Express in Harrow, they got my prescription so wrong, when I went to collect them I knew it was wrong, they got the prism lense wrong.

I refused to take them on both occasions and got my money back.

They said it was my fault also, I told them that perhaps they dont train their technicians properly.

You have to get it 100 percent right, there is no room for error, one tiny error in your prescription can have long term effects on your eyes.

And if the optomotrists are too useless/lazy/pig headed to admit they have cocked up then there is only one person to blame, and it certainly isnt you.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 4:40 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

Thanks guys, will have a look at those links. I realise that obviously getting online etc may make it harder for fittings and so on. Hopefully I won't need to resort to that yet anyway!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I had some glasses from Specsavers and I knew they were not right. Some tosser in the Torquay branch - told me 'it was my fault' and the headaches were in my mind.

My voice became louder and louder and I argued the toss with him for an hour, in the end he was so furious, he gave me a refund.

This has happened twice with Vision Express in Harrow, they got my prescription so wrong, when I went to collect them I knew it was wrong, they got the prism lense wrong.
I've managed not to shout yet but was very close! I went back in yesterday (then I was in a bad mood anyway as they'd made me go into town on a heaving xmas eve to sort it out)

After explaining AGAIN that I still couldn't see when I moved my head, they double checked the pupil distance thing against my current glasses and a few other things. Then she just looked baffled, and kept saying 'but these are the same as your old ones, exactly the same, other than the slight prescription change...". I said, well quite obviously there is something different, as I can see out of my old ones... She went and got those test lenses and asked me to look outside, held them over my glasses and said 'is it clearer now with 1, or with 2?'. I was close to exploding..."AGAIN...I... can...see...FINE - it's when I move my HEAD!!!!!"

So she went to get her supervisor, again she looked very confused. So she came back with the woman and I heard them mutter "...so if we send them back and change the lense type". I was like PARDON? She went on to explain that my new ones had been made up to a standard lense type/size/thickness 4 OR 8..... And my old ones were made to a 6.

So...I said...there IS something different then? Yes, they finally agreed! (But couldn't explain why they weren't sure if these were a 4 or an 8, when they had the paper in front of them...?! Didn't even really want to get into that...)

They apologised, sent off one pair to see if that fixes it, and will see early next week the outcome. This is the last thing I am willing to try. I've paid in full for the damn things that I can't bloody wear yet.

Professional Princess, What's the prism lense? Is that a measurement in the prescription or to do with the lense in general...? Not sure if it was that the girl was referring to this time when I went in. Just wondered!

Fingers crossed for next week else Mr Spec Saver can blummin well give me my pennies back.

lerato

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.