New Caledonia

Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Caledonia

Hi All, OH and I are looking for a week escape in September time and we were going to go to Fiji again but he has seen some deals to New Caledonia - has anyone been there and if so can you recommend a hotel?- we do want something very nice as it is only for a week.

Cheers
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Caledonia

Originally Posted by Hebe
Hi All, OH and I are looking for a week escape in September time and we were going to go to Fiji again but he has seen some deals to New Caledonia - has anyone been there and if so can you recommend a hotel?- we do want something very nice as it is only for a week.

Cheers
I went there through a work treat. I can quite easily say that if it were my money I wouldn't go. The New Caledonia marketing company must be the best in the world as I didn't find it anything like what was in the brochures or on Getaway. Noumea itself, I think is a hole. The French have completely destoyed what was potentially a paradisiac haven. We stayed at the Meridien and although it was a 5 star I would equate it to a 3 star in Aus or UK. Also Le Meridien is right next door to a derelict hotel (ex Club Med), which was torn apart in the cyclone of 2001. We went there is 2006 and they still hadn't touched it. It looked like you were in the middle of Bagdad.

Added to that New Caledonia is incredibly expensive, probably the most expensive place you can go to in the Pacific, mostly this is due to the crap French law that means they have to import all their goods and produce from France rather than the close NZ and Aus places.

We did go to Ile Aux Pines, which is paradise on earth, so if your aim is to be there only then great, if you plan on spending most of your time in Noumea I strongly suggest you rethink and save your money.

Pretty much everyone on our trip was left feeling disappointed and slightly short changed
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I went there through a work treat. I can quite easily say that if it were my money I wouldn't go. The New Caledonia marketing company must be the best in the world as I didn't find it anything like what was in the brochures or on Getaway. Noumea itself, I think is a hole. The French have completely destoyed what was potentially a paradisiac haven. We stayed at the Meridien and although it was a 5 star I would equate it to a 3 star in Aus or UK. Also Le Meridien is right next door to a derelict hotel (ex Club Med), which was torn apart in the cyclone of 2001. We went there is 2006 and they still hadn't touched it. It looked like you were in the middle of Bagdad.

Added to that New Caledonia is incredibly expensive, probably the most expensive place you can go to in the Pacific, mostly this is due to the crap French law that means they have to import all their goods and produce from France rather than the close NZ and Aus places.

We did go to Ile Aux Pines, which is paradise on earth, so if your aim is to be there only then great, if you plan on spending most of your time in Noumea I strongly suggest you rethink and save your money.

Pretty much everyone on our trip was left feeling disappointed and slightly short changed

Thanks for that - we are looking at Le Meridien Ile Des Pins but maybe we may change our mind and do Fiji after all.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:55 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - we are looking at Le Meridien Ile Des Pins but maybe we may change our mind and do Fiji after all.
Don't get me wrong, my criticisms are of Noumea and Le Meridien on Noumea only. The rest is stunning. But then so are Fiji, Vanuatu and Tonga (from what I've heard) and they are a 10th of the cost.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't get me wrong, my criticisms are of Noumea and Le Meridien on Noumea only. The rest is stunning. But then so are Fiji, Vanuatu and Tonga (from what I've heard) and they are a 10th of the cost.
I understand that - I will see what is around - just looked up Le Meridien Ile Des Pins and stunning - OH has a very busy job and so one week of the year we like to step off the world

Tried to give you karma but it is telling me I should spread myself a bit more
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I understand that - I will see what is around - just looked up Le Meridien Ile Des Pins and stunning - OH has a very busy job and so one week of the year we like to step off the world

Tried to give you karma but it is telling me I should spread myself a bit more
Karma Filth!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard the sort of money you spend in New Caledonia would be better spent in Tahiti. The Pacific has better value elsewhere.

Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:13 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by IvanM
I have heard the sort of money you spend in New Caledonia would be better spent in Tahiti. The Pacific has better value elsewhere.
to be fair I haven't been to any of the other islands in the Pacific, but from what I have heard they are much nicer places to visit and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:34 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

If you fancy somewhere other than Fiji I can vouch for Rarotonga Hebe, really lovely.