Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New baby Forum or good website on new babies?

New baby Forum or good website on new babies?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:33 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default New baby Forum or good website on new babies?

i looking for New baby Forum or good website on info new babies?
Im a new father for first time 8 days ago and just looking for some info
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:34 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: New baby Forum or good website on new babies?

This should do...

http://www.bubhub.com.au/

Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

http://www.cyh.com/Default.aspx?p=1 has tonnes of info for new babies to teenagers
or if you have specific questions the parent line 1300 364 100

Maria
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations on becoming a Daddy!!

Can any of us on here be any help? I'm a Mummy to 5 so have a little bit of new baby experience

I use/used babyworld.co.uk but I do wonder about some of the members on there although the members that are also on here are all lovely of course

Alison x
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:50 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

When I was pregnant and after the first was born I used to follow this site: http://www.babycentre.com

Here's the Australia version of the same site, linked to the message board for your baby's birth month.
http://boards.babycenter.com.au/n/pf...uestid=9987386
This is great and allows you to follow along with other parents with babies the same age. There's other boards as well and also lots of info on the different stages of development, care, etc.

I actually followed the Canadian & American version of the sites. So if you find there's not enough activity on the UK one you could check out the others.

As mentioned above one of the most active websites I've seen in Oz is Bubhub and there's another one too but can't remember the name at the moment.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I used Bounty.com but as mentioned on some of these baby sites the members can bit a bit questionable. Take everything with a pinch of salt and do what you feel is best because ultimately everything is your (and OH ) decision.

I'm no baby expert but I do have an 8 month old boy so quite up to date on most baby things, they tend to change the advice and guidelines like no ones business!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I used Bounty.com but as mentioned on some of these baby sites the members can bit a bit questionable. Take everything with a pinch of salt and do what you feel is best because ultimately everything is your (and OH ) decision.

I'm no baby expert but I do have an 8 month old boy so quite up to date on most baby things, they tend to change the advice and guidelines like no ones business!
There are guidelines for bringing up a baby that's funny Whatever happened to common sense (rhetorical question, no answers required).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

The forum on here --> http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/ is pretty lively.

I used to spend a lot of time on there when I had baby questions - its also austalian so any local issues will be discussed with appropriate local detail.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by DadAgain
The forum on here --> http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/ is pretty lively.

I used to spend a lot of time on there when I had baby questions - its also austalian so any local issues will be discussed with appropriate local detail.
Seconded - a great site!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There are guidelines for bringing up a baby that's funny Whatever happened to common sense (rhetorical question, no answers required).
Why is it funny? Of course there are guidelines, such as now its not recommended to allow babies to sleep on their stomachs, guidelines now state that parents should wait till their babies are 6 months before introducing solids where previously it was 4 months. Previously you could make up formula bottles 24 hours in advance they recommend making them freshly now to avoid the milk going off.

Guidelines help new parents and although every baby is different and you don't follow everything to the letter it certainly gives you a good starting point.

Of course common sence comes in to it but when I had my baby I had never been around young children so didn't know certain things. Not everyone is a baby expert straight off.

*the things I mention are UK guidelines.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Why is it funny? Of course there are guidelines, such as now its not recommended to allow babies to sleep on their stomachs, guidelines now state that parents should wait till their babies are 6 months before introducing solids where previously it was 4 months. Previously you could make up formula bottles 24 hours in advance they recommend making them freshly now to avoid the milk going off.

Guidelines help new parents and although every baby is different and you don't follow everything to the letter it certainly gives you a good starting point.

Of course common sence comes in to it but when I had my baby I had never been around young children so didn't know certain things. Not everyone is a baby expert straight off.

*the things I mention are UK guidelines.
I wouldn't have thought anyone was an expert straight off, even after someone has had several babies they wouldn't consider themselves that. It's all totally dependent on the baby and they are all different. My chuckle was because these 'guidelines' change as often as you change a nappy and can instill a huge amount of panic in new parents because they assume that as guidelines they should follow them and the baby may not be aware of them .

For example, a friend had a big baby, he was 'over' mum's milk at three months, just not getting enough. It was her first baby and she was hugely stressing and the so called experts were telling her to keep going, that it was way too early to wean - crap, the baby needed more than milk but until another mother who'd been through the same thing spoke to her, she was terrified of not following guidelines in case she harmed her baby.

Internet forums full of new parents, older parents etc are far more valid than following 'guidelines' from so called experts (many of whom have never had a child).

Sorry, it's just one of my bugbears from when my girls were tots and I was told I was wrong in what I was doing because it didn't fit with the ideas they had then.

I tried telling my eldest that she wasn't to sleep on her tummy when she was a couple of months old. She didn't want to know and wouldn't sleep until my SIL suggested 'allowing' her to sleep on her tummy. That was roughly the time that the woman off the tv lost her boy through SIDS. I went through all kinds of hell thinking I was killing my baby.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and let you all get on with it
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:26 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

There is only one book you need for the baby - "The New Contented Little Baby Book" by Gina Ford. I swear by it.

There is another book you may need for yourselves (not after 8days - give it another 10days...... ) - "Baby-Proofing Your Marriage" by Cockrell/O'Neill/Stone.

(One of the cheapest places to buy books, plus free worldwide delivery - www.bookdepository.co.uk)

Good luck!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:45 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 22B
There is only one book you need for the baby - "The New Contented Little Baby Book" by Gina Ford. I swear by it.
Are you sure that shouldn't be swear at it?

We read this book and found it to be most destructive unhelpful piece of advice anyone has offered since Lord Cardigan suggested 'just going for it' at the battle of Balaclava. We had a go at Gina's methods, but after a few days came within a few seconds of multple homicides:

I nearly killed wife
wife nearly killed me
I nearly killed bub
wife nearly killed bub...
bub nearly killed us (not sure how exactly?)

We were all angry and fighting about it the whole time. Eventually we saw sense, tossed the book away (quite literally - theres still a dent in our wall from when I flung it HARD!) and found our own rhythms and settled down without too many problems....

We've since heard plenty of other stories much the same from people who swear that book is PURE evil!!

My tip for "Baby-Proofing Your Marriage": Dont purchase "The New Contented Little Baby Book"
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:25 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Ha ha - well, I guess it takes all sorts! I loved it and found it made (makes? he's still only 2) life soooo much easier, but there you go!

I guess, then, that we should say borrow the book and try it out before you buy!!