Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is my grandma too old to visit??

Is my grandma too old to visit??

Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is my grandma too old to visit??

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

Talking to my grandma last night on phone and she really misses all of us - I offered for to pay for her and my mum to fly out - didn't want her to fly on her own. But my mum is dead set against it - she is the 'you moved there you lump it' brigade - thinks that I will come back as I miss her too much - fat chance!

But my grandma is keen to come on her own - I am worried about her coming all this way - she is still active (still goes to all the home games at the Lane) but she has a tax there and back. Still goes to bingo twice a week makes her own way there (top rank).

She is 88 this year tho
My grandmother is well into her 70s, and suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's. Until recently, she also had a cancerous tumour (which has just been successfully removed.)

Prior to her operation, she flew from Western Australia to the UK for my wedding in October last year - and she paid for her own ticket, too!

I was dead chuffed to see her again after nearly two years, and ever so proud of her; she looked a million bucks, and received many compliments!

If your grandmother is still a fairly active old bird and enjoys the company of other people (as mine is and does) then she'll probably be OK.

Whatever you do, don't pass up the opportunity on the basis of a minor worry; grandparents are so, so precious, and once they're gone it's impossible to replace that wonderful feeling you get when you see them again after a long period of time.

I'll stop now, as I'm getting all sentimental and sniffly.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my grandma too old to visit??

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My grandmother is well into her 70s, and suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's. Until recently, she also had a cancerous tumour (which has just been successfully removed.)

Prior to her operation, she flew from Western Australia to the UK for my wedding in October last year - and she paid for her own ticket, too!

I was dead chuffed to see her again after nearly two years, and ever so proud of her; she looked a million bucks, and received many compliments!

If your grandmother is still a fairly active old bird and enjoys the company of other people (as mine is and does) then she'll probably be OK.

Whatever you do, don't pass up the opportunity on the basis of a minor worry; grandparents are so, so precious, and once they're gone it's impossible to replace that wonderful feeling you get when you see them again after a long period of time.

I'll stop now, as I'm getting all sentimental and sniffly.
Just as well - you made me cry - bloody hell.....

fell like a fool sitting here at my desk - lol

Sorry to hear about your grandma's illness.

I worry about what would happen if she started to suffer with some of the common ailments that their generation suffer with - would hate it if she didn't know who I was. My grandad - her hubby - died when he was 73 (18 years ago) and for the two months prior to his death he didn't know me - I used to go and visit the hospital and he knew my son (baby at time) he used to tell everyone on the ward - this is my first great grandchild Thomas - they named him after me - he was so proud but he got confused with who I was.

It comes to us all in the end - tho - doesn't it - forgetfulness...erm I think - what was I saying...???? who are you anyhow?? come to mention it - who am I???
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

my grandad came to visit for 2 weeks in feb, he is 87. He is good for his age but cannot walk great distances. He was fortunate that he had the money to pay for business class with Emirates. They picked him up from his house to take him to airport and then met him again on his return journey. He says he didn't have to walk a step, everywhere he went there was someone to wheel him. The chauffeur service is exclusive to business class but the wheelchair assistance will be given from staff upon request and you MUST ask for it when you book the tickets.
Get her over here. I am so glad my grandad came as I had a reality check when I checked him in at the airport that it could be the last time I saw him. I cried all the way home. Forget your miserable relatives that won't come (my in-laws are like that) and concentrate on getting Nanna over here, then the guilt will be on your Mum that she couldn't be arsed but a lady in her 80's had the balls to do it.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
my grandad came to visit for 2 weeks in feb, he is 87. He is good for his age but cannot walk great distances. He was fortunate that he had the money to pay for business class with Emirates. They picked him up from his house to take him to airport and then met him again on his return journey. He says he didn't have to walk a step, everywhere he went there was someone to wheel him. The chauffeur service is exclusive to business class but the wheelchair assistance will be given from staff upon request and you MUST ask for it when you book the tickets.
Get her over here. I am so glad my grandad came as I had a reality check when I checked him in at the airport that it could be the last time I saw him. I cried all the way home. Forget your miserable relatives that won't come (my in-laws are like that) and concentrate on getting Nanna over here, then the guilt will be on your Mum that she couldn't be arsed but a lady in her 80's had the balls to do it.

Well Said - and thank you. I am feeling much more positive about getting her here now - so watch this space Northern Bird!

Where in the north exactly?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

other side of the pennines to you my dear. a small town called Carnforth in north Lancashire. Famous for being the railway station where Brief Encounter was filmed.
My mother in law was born and bred in Carnforth and has only flown once in her 59 years to visit us when we lived in Canada and that was because we paid. My father in law who is 63 has said he will never come and visit us here. It can be upsetting but they are the ones missing out if they don't come. I drive my daughter to school every day and at the end of my street I have the most amazing view of the Indian Ocean. How can anyone not want to come and visit here and miss out on seeing their kids and grandkids happy as pigs in shit.
I am happy at the moment though as my Dad arrives 2 weeks today. Me and the kids can't wait to see him.
Good luck and keep me up to date.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen this thread. If your Gran is healthy and wants to come - bring her. My parents were 89 and 88 the last time they were here and they came from Scotland. My Mother is a chronic asthmatic and had trouble with blood clots in her legs. The airlines are fantastic with elderly people. My Dad died at 93 but my Mother at 97 would love to come back but has been diagnosed with angina as well as everythingelse, so doesn't think she can make it. She still looks after herself and plays indoor bowls!! So get your Gran over - she'll love it.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Just seen this thread. If your Gran is healthy and wants to come - bring her. My parents were 89 and 88 the last time they were here and they came from Scotland. My Mother is a chronic asthmatic and had trouble with blood clots in her legs. The airlines are fantastic with elderly people. My Dad died at 93 but my Mother at 97 would love to come back but has been diagnosed with angina as well as everythingelse, so doesn't think she can make it. She still looks after herself and plays indoor bowls!! So get your Gran over - she'll love it.
Thanks for the advice - I am busy saving funds - hopefully she will be coming at the end of the year.

Sarah
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:26 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
The airlines will definitely look after her. They'll lay on one of those electric cars to get her to the gate - let her on first - possibly even upgrade her if they've got room.
Hi thanks for this info Hutch, we were talking about this the other day my OH parents are late 70's furthest they've flown is to jersey!! yet they are adamant they are coming to visit us when we get there. Its not so much the physical ailments with them but them not having a clue what to do, especially at the stop off airport.

So do you have to ask for this assistance when you book the tickets?

To Sasbear hope your gran gets out to see you.

when we were in Oz last time we met an 80 yr old American lady who had travelled all around Oz on her own she was fab, a real feisty bird, she was teaching all the Aborigine kids at our hotel how to swim being an ex coach.