Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My Friend Quits Australia after 100 Days

My Friend Quits Australia after 100 Days

Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:20 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My Friend Quits Australia after 100 Days

Originally Posted by Beoz

Anyway each to their own. I know how demoralising it can be when you can't find a job.
Agreed,this from the Australia Forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764091
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I meant more on the weather aspect. They've gone home after 3 months and couldn't even go to the beach. Must be a bit gutted.
Beach smeach...I never go!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
Agreed,this from the Australia Forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764091
Maybe for some but not for all. Mrs Beoz was offered 3 jobs in Australia whilst in the UK, all through writing letters to firms she thought may be interested in her skills. That said she has some pretty specialized skills and I don't know how unique HR is has as per your thread, but I do assume there's lots of HR bods out there.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:06 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

They timed it pretty badly.

If you're gonna come to Aus and be unemployed for a few months you as may as well do it in summer.
Or go north.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I meant more on the weather aspect. They've gone home after 3 months and couldn't even go to the beach. Must be a bit gutted.
Remarks like this make me smirk ! I can almost here the friends of the OP from here, 'we weren't on holiday'. You can't switch from emigrate mode to, 'never mind, we'll have a holiday before we crawl back home emotionally and financially broken.' Well, you can't if you are over, say, the age of 25 and have got a bit more to you than a couple of backpacks and a string of surfer beads around your neck.

If you came for a holiday and a, 'look round and see what's going on' then fair enough you can just walk away and more or less say, 'nevermind.' Chances are, at that age, you have probably got at least one parent or relative to return to.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie

While everyone else laughs at your misfortune ? Yeah, just because people have the means to stay where they relocated to, doesn't mean that they've made it.
If you (general) know people like that, I would suggest you (general) find other people to hang out with. I can't imagine and thankfully don't know, anyone having that reaction to someone elses 'misfortune'.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:38 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

100 days is a long time to be unhappy
well the 1st 50 would have been greatish

i remember someone returned after 2 or 3 weeks and they got pelters for not giving it a go
also heard of someone who didnt even manage to get to the end of the street the airport was on and turned back

im sure you know if its not for ya!

but i would also say that i would never have came here without one of us having work

its not a risk i would have taken
i know expats who came here with a couple of grand and struggled for 5 years till they found their feet. they are happy now
I also know plenty of expats who came here loaded, lived it up for a few years and went home broke claiming it was too expensive here

most expats i know have had to take a financial step back when they get here and build from there. we expected that and were ready for it
but we researched it to the death and still got a lot of things wrong

good luck to anyone taking that gamble now, the harder you work at it the luckier you get
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:51 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit ive never struggled finding work here....quite the opposite actually
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If 'here' is the UK then I agree, I must admit I have never had much trouble finding work anywhere. Ironically where we lived in Brisbane the unemployment rate was 9% whereas here in Herefordshire it is 4.6%.

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Must admit ive never struggled finding work here....quite the opposite actually
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:07 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
If 'here' is the UK then I agree, I must admit I have never had much trouble finding work anywhere. Ironically where we lived in Brisbane the unemployment rate was 9% whereas here in Herefordshire it is 4.6%.
Nope i meant Melbourne.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:22 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

In the uk I have total confidence that if I was fired today I'd be starting a temp to perm position by Tuesday. In Australia... Well I'll be finding out shortly, but we have a critical financial bail out figure at which point we will be returning with our tails between our legs never to be seen or heard in BE again
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It very much depends and changes. For the last few years my job in Oz has been booming and the biggest pain is fielding off calls from head hunters. But, in the last 6 months the vacancies have fallen by 80% at the same time they have risen by about the same amount in the UK

Originally Posted by Beoz
No not at all .... I'm just saying that in certain parts of the UK right now it is hard to find work and that Australia in general, is a little more boyant right now and work is easier to come by.

Saying that I have done the old "turn up and find a job" twice in London and once in Australia. I remember one particular time in London back in 1999 I'd spent 2 years in Australia and expected to turn up in London with no trouble finding work. It took me 5 months to find something in my profession. In the meantime I worked as a painter and decorater. Not ideal but it kept the money rolling in. I actually found it quite enjoyable, not sitting at a desk all day, but did my back hurt. After 5 months a job came my way and it was once of the best jobs I have had and probably the one that I look at with the fondest memories.

Anyway each to their own. I know how demoralising it can be when you can't find a job.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say that since being back in the UK we have noticed there does seem to be plenty of work around, that isnt to say that in certain areas the unemployment rate is very high but that of course is the same anywhere.

Originally Posted by verystormy
It very much depends and changes. For the last few years my job in Oz has been booming and the biggest pain is fielding off calls from head hunters. But, in the last 6 months the vacancies have fallen by 80% at the same time they have risen by about the same amount in the UK
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:08 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spartacus
http://www.loopylace.com/crazyquilts...es/biomapa.jpg

It's a fine piece of work, but 100 days?! I think I could knock that up in a couple of hours.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If your used to working and have never been unemployed, that 100 days would probably seem like a hell of a lot longer. Especially in a foreign country with no idea of what the future holds. I reckon I would jump for safety in that situation as well.

Unless you've been unemployed for that long, then it's difficult to comment on the mindset of these people. One of the worst times of my life was when I took redundancy from the Gas and Fuel at age 40ish and couldnt find work for 6 months.

Being unemployed becomes a real worry after a period of time... then you start to slowly give up.

I've got a lot of empathy for these people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.