Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

Originally Posted by cresta57
Are you casting one in situ? When we replace pots we usually use a few slates cracked into strips to support the pot then just mortar flaunching to repel the water.
That's what 'we' did.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:35 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Are you casting one in situ? When we replace pots we usually use a few slates cracked into strips to support the pot then just mortar flaunching to repel the water.

I thought about that, but the aperture at the top of the chimney is too wide - it's also rectangular, and could probably hold two pots, though the one I have was freebie from the neighbour, so that's all it's getting.

My plan was to build a suitably sized frame, with an inverse 'hole' in it, then pour concrete into it and strengthen the sides with some strapping or wire mesh that will be forever entombed in the concrete. While it's wet, I'll semi press the pot into the concrete, then remove it again, so that it forms a nice positioning indentation when the concrete is dry.

The weak points will be where the hole is closest to the edge of the rectangle, so I'll make sure that gets enough meshing.

I'll photograph as I go and post in The Shed...

S
Old Mar 29th 2014, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Or rescue you when you mess up cos you don't read instructions or don't have the skills needed
Ah, I read the instructions, but they WERE wrong for the loo seat I installed recently- they showed parts for a totally different loo. And, thinking about it, the instructions for the lift-up storage bed were also wrong-ish, in that they showed a double bed, not a king single, which had dividers in the middle, so I spent a while looking for parts it didn't have.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Ah, I read the instructions, but they WERE wrong for the loo seat I installed recently- they showed parts for a totally different loo. And, thinking about it, the instructions for the lift-up storage bed were also wrong-ish, in that they showed a double bed, not a king single, which had dividers in the middle, so I spent a while looking for parts it didn't have.
Reminds me - it's about time I got a new seat. Ours is a bit ragged around the edges - and I might finally get a new ironing board (with cover) - the saga as described on BE - where I have been getting by with 3 dollar replacements) has been going on for about 5 years now. But there is a part of me that is loathe to have to deal with such trivial matters.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Reminds me - it's about time I got a new seat. Ours is a bit ragged around the edges - and I might finally get a new ironing board (with cover) - the saga as described on BE - where I have been getting by with 3 dollar replacements) has been going on for about 5 years now. But there is a part of me that is loathe to have to deal with such trivial matters.

I bought a nice Bamboo one from Aldi - it was only $19, but it is VERY comfortable...

S