Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My CAR IS TOWED AWAY, NEED ADVICE

My CAR IS TOWED AWAY, NEED ADVICE

Old May 18th 2013, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Shawn-Sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Question My CAR IS TOWED AWAY, NEED ADVICE

I live in a building complex with three stories of parking underground, and my car bay is on third story. Last night I was really tired after work, and parked my car on the same car bay but on the second story by mistake (instead of third story), so I found my car towed away this morning. Stupid mistake, and stinging result. (it has happened to me at least three times, what I did was I just put a note on people's car asking them to move their car)

There is a sign in our parking, saying to call a number if your car is towed away. I called them and they told me they hadn't done it. Then I called the police and they advised me some other company towed my car away.

I am wondering if the owner of that car bay had the right to use another towing company to tow my car. I am asking this because the latter company charges a lot more to release my car than the first company.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Shawn-Sue; May 18th 2013 at 6:40 am.
Old May 19th 2013, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My CAR IS TOWED AWAY, NEED ADVICE

How much did they charge?
Old May 19th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that Company A has just subcontracted Company B to tow away there. Just pay up and learn your lesson about parking in the right spot.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It's possible that Company A has just subcontracted Company B to tow away there. Just pay up and learn your lesson about parking in the right spot.
The usual, unfortunately, is the property company just subcontracts a bunch of nasty little sharks to steal away vehicles in the guise of security - and then wash their hands of responsibility. The subcontractors are usually shady as hell and are only interested in getting the money (often with menaces).

If you want to fight it, the best route is usually the property company; starting polite but firm and then generally making a nuisance of yourself if they don't roll over. A potentially useful avenue is they need to put up signs stating the T&Cs, but if they car isn't taken away by the company mentioned on that sign, that could be considered theft, etc.

Even if you end up paying to get your property back, the general rule of thumb is to make people's lives so hell that the amount of money they have extracted/stolen is less than the cost they have incurred in dealing with you (so its a net money hole, and they are more likely to stop). Small claims courts are quite useful for this - defending a case you might bring means them hiring a lawyer usually, and they ain't cheap.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

You are a criminal and have parked illegally, pay the penalty and be careful in future.