Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Muslim schools - Deja vu.

Muslim schools - Deja vu.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:56 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muslim schools - Deja vu.

Originally Posted by Burbage
Tolerance, understanding and forgiveness: three well known attributes of the Spanish Inquisition.

As for visiting a mosque, this is of course all about visting people who are equally brainwashed. If you school wants I'll come and give the kids a talk on reality. I await the invitation with relish.

That is because your capacity to question your own religion was brainwashed out of you as a child. You were told to accept things and not question them. This is a dangerous thing to teach children in a world containing so much disinformation. It also makes you easy victims of politicians and advertisers, and others who wish to propagate lies for their own self-interest.

If catholic schools taught critical thinking, which is urgently required for children's education in our modern world, then those children might question such things as:

If Matthew and Luke traced Jesus' lineage through Joseph, then did they believe in the virgin birth?

Is a god who condemns a man and his wife and all their descendents to suffering for ever and in perpetuity for eating an apple really a forgiving god? Are these not, in fact, the actions of a vindictive bastard?

God kills millions of people in the bible and the devil kills seven. Who should I take my chances with?

Etc etc. The bible is so full of holes that in order for people to accept it they MUST be brainwashed.

There is no problem teaching children nonsense as long as they are clearly told that it is nonsense. You don't believe in Santa any more, but there was a time that you did.

Luckily your children live in a society that doesn't kill people who turn their back on religion. Let's all be thankful for that.

Quite a few, I imagine, but they don't expect them to believe it for ever.

Believe me, I know more about christianity than you could shake a stick at.

It's perfectly possible to help your neighbours without having to believe that a woman talked to a snake and got her husband to eat an apple (or a fig, in fact, in the original text) as a result.

Your assumption that I don't know or understand christianity, or the catholic sect, is a little prejudiced. In fact you probably understand less of it than I do, since you have been told not to question what you have been told. Your veiled assumption that, because I don't go to church, I don't have a sense of community is, frankly, insulting. Umans are social animals by instinct, not because of some religious organisation.

"straits"

Maybe if a little less was taught then there wouldn't be quite so many of those neighbour-loving suicide bombers around. The only reason the catholic church isn't still burning heretics and witches is because of the reformation, the enlightenment and the industrial revolution. Without them we would still be at its mercy. Let us be grateful that human intellect won over ignorance. Obviously the church has had to change. But it would love to go back.

I don't feel threatened by religious schools any more than I feel threatened by paedophiles. But I think that children would be better off without them.

Well, apart from the first four. Basic rules that I'm sure society required for its function even before Moses wrote the ten commandments. You do know, by the way, that the ten comandments have been edited by the catholic church?

I have no problem with religion. It's nonsense, and can often be harmless nonsense, and if it makes people happy then why should they not follow it. Certainly there are worse things in the world. But children should not be brainwashed with it. If you want to brainwash them leave it until they are adult. The reason religion won't do this is because children are so easy to brainwash. Why do you think that Hitler came up with the Hitler youth? Children can be made to believe anything and they will often believe it for the rest of their lives.

That's what your parents should have said to the man in the white collar when you were five, then you might have had chance.
I didnt become Catholic until 12 years ago when I met my current husband. I am capable of making my own mind up as an adult, something I know my intelligent children will do. If they reject their faith, so be it. I won't get all high and mighty with them and try to barrage them with my beliefs. As Shakespeare said - "the woman doth protest too much me thinks!"

Who you actually trying to convince here?

Its sooo trendy to bash religion. After all, if you didn't you might actually have to start thinking about your actions eh?

One thing that my religion does for me is, it makes me question my actions all the time, I constantly question how selfish I am being.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:54 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
I didnt become Catholic until 12 years ago when I met my current husband. I am capable of making my own mind up as an adult, something I know my intelligent children will do. If they reject their faith, so be it. I won't get all high and mighty with them and try to barrage them with my beliefs. As Shakespeare said - "the woman doth protest too much me thinks!"

Its sooo trendy to bash religion. After all, if you didn't you might actually have to start thinking about your actions eh?

One thing that my religion does for me is, it makes me question my actions all the time, I constantly question how selfish I am being.
You do not need to have a religion to do all of these things
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:03 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder how many of you celebrate christmas. Wonder how many of you also celebrate the birth of the Bab, the birth of Baha'u'llah or the birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

School bans national anthem

"..the singing of the anthem will be put on hold.."
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:03 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Wonder how many of you celebrate christmas. Wonder how many of you also celebrate the birth of the Bab, the birth of Baha'u'llah or the birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji?

Yes, I celebrate Christmas. I believe it was a pagan festival that existed long before the birth of Jesus (who, IMO, was no different to Jim Jones, David Koresh, et al - perhaps they were multiple Comings?), but that is not why I celebrate it.

I celebrate it because that's what we do - I was raised in Western society, from a CofE background, and that's what we do - it's a cultural thing. I neither need to be religious, nor be politically correct and pay lip-service to being interested in other cultures, to enjoy it and/or feel like I am a well-rounded person (the mince-pies will take care of that!).

It's like asking me why I support the England football team - well, because I'm English, and that's what we do. Do I have to be a fully-paid up member and wear all the strip to enjoy the odd game? No. Am I being discriminatory because I don't support the Peruvian football team and have no interest in them? No.

So celebrating Christmas or not is nowt to do with any of this.
Religious faith is the root of all evil and that's that.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:14 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is...

When in Rome... don't be surprised when the Romans don't like it when you're living in Rome and won't integrate into Roman culture.

I personally have never understood these expat-style societies/communities who never try to integrate into the country they are living in. Regardless of if they are English living in Australia, Indians living in London or people from the Middle East living on the Gold Coast. If you want to fit in, then fit in. If you don't, then either accept that the locals might disapprove or go back home. It's just common sense. Society is about compromise and social integration, whenever you get a group within a community who don't integrate for whatever reason they will always be viewed as outsiders.

It's the same for us, it's the same for them. There is nothing racist about it.

On the religious perspective, I detest forced religion. It's my personal pet hate. I am not religious and I don't like it when people force their religious beliefs on us or our children. However, I have nothing against religious schools. If people of any a certain faith wish to congregate their kids in an indoctrinating environment then go for it, it's a personal choice of the parents to send their kids there. Just don't try to force it on kids in non-religious schools.

The study of Religion certainly has a place in schools, understanding the various faiths and their beliefs is a requirement in modern life given that so much in this world is determined by religious conviction, however the practice of religion and faith should not be allowed in state schools..

Last edited by bigAPE; Dec 4th 2008 at 8:32 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that religion should be a choice for the individual. However that said I did send my children to an interdenominational high school as I wanted them to be able to make up their own minds about religion and not do what I or my husband do. I also had them christened the the same reason so they have choice.

I believe in the history of religion and think all children should learn about it.

I also believe that if you do not expose children to any form of religious education its far more likely they will seek out a cult or some other form to take its place if they are that way inclined.

My friends do not go to church but one of their children does and is a practising member of the church so we just don't know how our children will feel.

Everyone is an individual and they have the choice.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:28 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

The lady protests too much methinks... (is what Shakespeare said (or "doth protest" in one of the folios), but feel free to alter any old text which doesn't suit you, the Catholic Church has been doing it for 1700 years), and I am not a woman, which is why there's a little male symbol next to my avatar.

Aha. Yes well, there's no zealot like a converted zealot.

I have nothing against religion, as long as it never gets hold of society again, as it continues to do in most of the muslim world. But all religion is nonsense. This is not about bashing it, or about being trendy, it's about facing reality.

I am against brainwashing kids with nonsense that is dressed up as truth. There is nothing wrong with teaching morals.

If a person is so arrogant as to believe that they are too important to die, or is simply unable to come to terms with their own mortality then religion is probably for them. But let it be an adult choice. Let it be their choice once they are old enough to make it. But it should not be spoonfed to children as truth.

By the way, I don't continually try to examine my actions for selfishness. I try to avoid acting selfishly in the first place. Is your method to act selfishly and then ask for forgiveness? This makes acting selfishly okay does it? You seem to be of the opinion that someone who is not religious is not moral. The church tells you this. But it is wrong. In fact the majority of christians I know are far worse at applying the moral teachings of Jesus than the realists I know.

Last edited by Burbage; Dec 4th 2008 at 9:38 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:56 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I don't continually try to examine my actions for selfishness. I try to avoid acting selfishly in the first place.
I don't like jumping into religious arguments, but I have to say I totally agree. The only reason to constantly question your actions is if you feel that your actions are inherently selfish and need to kept in check.

I do not need a religious code to define my moral boundaries. They are based on logic and compassion. Being selfless and helping others is not the domain of the religious. Helping others without the prospect of some perceived gain (entry into heaven, etc) is far more moral than someone who helps others in fear that if they don't they will not end up there.

As I have said before, I am very happy for you to believe whatever you wish but don't be surprised, as a lot of religious folk are, when people get upset when you try to preach to them in a condescending tone telling them that they are somehow less moral without Jesus or not fit to be parents because they don't "Praise the Lord" on national TV.

I might believe the the little grey aliens from the planet splodge created our world and all life on it, including Gordon Brown, but I wouldn't dare tell you that you are in some way less of a person or parent because you don't. That in itself should define the high standards of my moral code.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Dec 4th 2008 at 9:59 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:05 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Petals
I also believe that if you do not expose children to any form of religious education its far more likely they will seek out a cult or some other form to take its place if they are that way inclined.
The Cult Awareness Network defines a "cult" as

"a closed system whose followers have been unethically and deceptively recruited through the use of manipulative techniques of thought reform or mind control."

Sounds a lot like the catholic church recruiting members through primary schools to me. Janja Lalich and Madeleine Tobias, authors of "Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults" noted

"About two-thirds of those studied have been normal young persons induced to join groups in periods of personal crisis, [such as] broken romance or failures to get the job or college of their choice. Vulnerable, the young person affiliates with a cult offering promises of unconditional love, new mental powers, and social utopia."

Again, sounds like a recruitment process for the born again Christian. One mans cult is another mans organised religion.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:13 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I was brainwashed as a kid - they told me some fat guy in a red suit with a white beard would bring me presents at the end of the year if I was a good little boy.

It was all lies.... I was bad and he still bought me things
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

The lady protests too much methinks... (is what Shakespeare said (or "doth protest" in one of the folios), but feel free to alter any old text which doesn't suit you, the Catholic Church has been doing it for 1700 years), and I am not a woman, which is why there's a little male symbol next to my avatar.

Aha. Yes well, there's no zealot like a converted zealot.

I have nothing against religion, as long as it never gets hold of society again, as it continues to do in most of the muslim world. But all religion is nonsense. This is not about bashing it, or about being trendy, it's about facing reality.

I am against brainwashing kids with nonsense that is dressed up as truth. There is nothing wrong with teaching morals.

If a person is so arrogant as to believe that they are too important to die, or is simply unable to come to terms with their own mortality then religion is probably for them. But let it be an adult choice. Let it be their choice once they are old enough to make it. But it should not be spoonfed to children as truth.

By the way, I don't continually try to examine my actions for selfishness. I try to avoid acting selfishly in the first place. Is your method to act selfishly and then ask for forgiveness? This makes acting selfishly okay does it? You seem to be of the opinion that someone who is not religious is not moral. The church tells you this. But it is wrong. In fact the majority of christians I know are far worse at applying the moral teachings of Jesus than the realists I know.
Here Here,

It is incredibly galling to hear religious people going on and on about their morality compared to non-religious folk. IMO it is better to behave in a moral manner because you feel it is the right thing to do and care for your fellow humans, than behave in such a way because you fear what will happen in the afterlife.

I've also never understood how a murderer/ child abuser etc who confesses and is forgiven after saying a few Hail Mary's can go to heaven, but someone like Ghandi who I'm sure we could all agree lived a very good, moral, life would not be admitted because he did not worship the "one true God"

If people want to teach their own children this sh*t then there isn't much we can do about it, but I do not see why we should collude in perpetuating this in education.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:24 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

religion, created by man, to control man.

'work hard and give your tithe to the church or you will be damned'

It's all just made up and has no more credit than Hansel and Gretel.

just my 2c
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

A mature morality is one where you do the right thing even if no-one else is likely to find out if you do wrong. It is steered by your own internal checks and balances.

An immature morality is one where you do the right thing because you fear the repercussions from others, not because of an aversion to commiting the immoral action (i.e. like a child fears getting told off by their parents).

Kohlberg's stages of moral development outlines this quite nicely (1 being the weakest):

Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)

1. Obedience and punishment orientation
(How can I avoid punishment?)

2. Self-interest orientation
(What's in it for me?)

Level 2 (Conventional)

3. Interpersonal accord and conformity
(Social norms)
(The good boy/good girl attitude)

4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation
(Law and order morality)

Level 3 (Post-Conventional)

5. Social contract orientation

6. Universal ethical principles
(Principled conscience)

I wonder where we would peg religious moral compliance on this scale?

Last edited by rabsody; Dec 4th 2008 at 11:55 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 22B
I believe it was a pagan festival that existed long before the birth of Jesus (who, IMO, was no different to Jim Jones, David Koresh, et al - perhaps they were multiple Comings?), but that is not why I celebrate it.
OMG, that's exactly what I've always said! Jesus was the just first one to try this 'son of god' gig on! If he were alive today and carried on like that he would be classed in the same vein as the David Ickes of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.