British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Mozzies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/mozzies-703116/)

ABCDiamond Jan 31st 2011 11:14 pm

Re: Mozzies!

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 9142527)
I'm almost tempted to get one of these which CLAIMS to be able to clear an area of 2 acres of mozzies! http://www.pestrol.com.au/pestrol-ou...tor-p-110.html - but $200 is a bit much....

Using that in an urban situation may create more problems.

They are designed to attract the mozzies, and may well empty all your neighbours yards of mozzies, which are all heading to your attractor. It may well dispose of many of them, but you could end up with more that are now in your location than you had before, that are targeting you, in preference to the unit..

However, place it at the far end of a 2 acre block, and the human occupied area may well be pretty clear.

DadAgain Jan 31st 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 9142568)
....However, place it at the far end of a 2 acre block, and the human occupied area may well be pretty clear.

So you're saying I need a bigger block! - So now the mozzie repellant is not going to cost $10, or $200 its going to cost $800K!!!! :frown:

<back to the drawing board>

ABCDiamond Jan 31st 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 9142585)
So you're saying I need a bigger block! - So now the mozzie repellant is not going to cost $10, or $200 its going to cost $800K!!!! :frown:

<back to the drawing board>

:rofl: :rofl:

Gems Feb 1st 2011 12:43 am

You can buy antihistamine cream at the chemist. Most people wrongly assume antihistamines are just tablets.
That will bring any swelling and itching under control fast.

Gems

LisaIan Feb 1st 2011 2:04 am

I've tried many things to stop the itching and I recently read somewhere to rub roll on deodorant on them, I've since tried it a few times and it really works!!!

Hope it works for you too!

Dreamy Feb 1st 2011 2:07 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 9142206)
We use the mosquito clicker and swear by it. I was a little skeptical at first, but it really works, a few clicks and the irritation goes in a couple of minutes.

http://www.mosquitoclick.com/

Never worked for me :(

Sherlock Holmes Feb 1st 2011 2:48 am

I was attacked by mozzies in my first year. Hasn't been so bad since.

Vitamin B works.

Vitamin C is a natural antihistimine.

Both these vitamins work well if taken before and after a drinking session to avoid a hangover.

Mozzies love people who eat bananas.

Mozzies follow carbon dioxide - which we emit. Mozzie coils and candles etc. cover the carbon dioxide. Apparantly. :)

Jerseygirl Feb 1st 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 9142904)
I was attacked by mozzies in my first year. Hasn't been so bad since.

Vitamin B works.

Vitamin C is a natural antihistimine.

Both these vitamins work well if taken before and after a drinking session to avoid a hangover.

Mozzies love people who eat bananas.

Mozzies follow carbon dioxide - which we emit. Mozzie coils and candles etc. cover the carbon dioxide. Apparantly. :)

I hate bananas but mozzies still feast on me. The best thing I've found is a clip on device by Lentek...it's the only thing that I've found repels them and other biting/stinging bugs.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Feb 1st 2011 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9142377)
Good:p

barsteward :p

iamthecreaturefromuranus Feb 1st 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9142448)
I can second vitamin B supplements ... they do turn your wee a funny colour though ... oh, is it only me?

I once had some liquorice ice cream that turned my poo blue... didn't help with mozzies though. :)

DeadVim Feb 1st 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9142954)
I once had some liquorice ice cream that turned my poo blue... didn't help with mozzies though. :)

A nice party peice ...

What has a hazlenut in every bite? Squirrel shit.

Jen1977ni Feb 1st 2011 3:54 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9142954)

When I was a wee doll I had an iron deficiency so the doctor gave me 'iron medicine', I tell ya, my poops were AS BLACK AS YER BOOT MATE! Scared the sh 1te outta me I can tell u lol

Rainydaze Feb 1st 2011 9:35 am

Lavender oil is good, and the ice works a treat too.

I was told recently that mossies are attracted to you if you're Vitamin-B deficient to begin with (which i am) so that explains the recommendation to take Vit-B tabs.

BTW, encountered march flies for the first time recently, now they're horrific!:eek:

Jen1977ni Feb 1st 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Rainydaze (Post 9143580)

I was told recently that mossies are attracted to you if you're Vitamin-B deficient to begin with (which i am) so that explains the recommendation to take Vit-B tabs.

BTW, encountered march flies for the first time recently, now they're horrific!:eek:

Aren't they what we called 'clegs/klegs' in Norn Iron!?

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Rainydaze (Post 9143580)

Did you not encounter orange marching flies in the north of Ireland:lol: