British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Mozzies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/mozzies-703116/)

paulry Feb 1st 2011 9:59 am

Re: Mozzies!

Often easier said than done but resist the urge to scratch it and the itch will go away.

HelenTD Feb 1st 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Rainydaze (Post 9143580)
Lavender oil is good, and the ice works a treat too.

I was told recently that mossies are attracted to you if you're Vitamin-B deficient to begin with (which i am) so that explains the recommendation to take Vit-B tabs.

BTW, encountered march flies for the first time recently, now they're horrific!:eek:

We get huge ones in WA - I call them stealth bombers. You've got to really whack them to get them off your arm or leg:eek:.

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9143628)
Often easier said than done but resist the urge to scratch it and the itch will go away.

We still talking mozzie bites here,or have you been a naughty boy;)

HelenTD Feb 1st 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9143628)

Doesn't work like that though for those with a big reaction, especially once the bite starts to blister:eek:. If I don't use red tiger balm to stop the itching, then I can't sleep, or do anything other than scratch.

Jen1977ni Feb 1st 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9143635)
Doesn't work like that though for those with a big reaction, especially once the bite starts to blister:eek:. If I don't use red tiger balm to stop the itching, then I can't sleep, or do anything other than scratch.

One of the bites on my leg bruised the whole way round once, to about the size of a pringles lid, ached like billyo, not good! :(

paulry Feb 1st 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9143632)
We still talking mozzie bites here,or have you been a naughty boy;)

Yeah, that statement can equally apply to most temptation-related things :lol:

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9143635)

I had that with sand fly bites in Malaysia last year. Impossible not to scratch no matter how much one concentrates their mind away from doing so. And the blisters! :eek:

I find that mozzie bites are easy enough to resist scratching but true, not everyone has the same relatively light reaction

HelenTD Feb 1st 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9143649)
Yeah, that statement can equally apply to most temptation-related things :lol:

I had that with sand fly bites in Malaysia last year. Impossible not to scratch no matter how much one concentrates their mind away from doing so. And the blisters! :eek:

I find that mozzie bites are easy enough to resist scratching but true, not everyone has the same relatively light reaction

The first time I camped in Australia was in Broome. I didn't know about sand flies and I was eaten alive. The bus trip from Broome to Darwin was hell, I looked like a chicken pox victim and scratched all the way:o.

I've tried the Vitamin B tablet and loads of Marmite, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Time hasn't helped either, as I still blister and have 3 at the moment. I just have to try and not get bitten.

fish.01 Feb 1st 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9142185)
I'll have to try the toothpaste :)

I've always been attractive to insects! We've been here 3 years now - my first year was hell, I think I constantly had at least one hugely swollen area (omg knuckle bites are the worst).

The last 6 months I've probably only had 3 or 4 really bad bites, so I'm hopeful that this immunity theory is starting to work out.

I'm still getting bit by some other kind of flying insect - it leaves very small, very hard itchy spots that are a bloody nightmare.

I'm itching now just thinking about it, lol.

My (english) wife would get those "massive" lumps the first couple of years - and get bitten on her bum through her pajamas and all sorts of crazy things while I wasn't bitten at all. Then she just stopped getting them so there is hope :fingerscrossed:

I haven't noticed many around while sitting outside my home (in Brisbane) this summer - maybe high deck on this new house is helping - or they have all drowned.

I have a mate who recently completed one whole year of camping (he lost his rental and thought it was a good idea) and he recommends bushmans as the best premixed repellent. Or dettol and baby oil if you want to make one yourself. :)

Kelli28 Feb 1st 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9144083)
I haven't noticed many around while sitting outside my home (in Brisbane) this summer - maybe high deck on this new house is helping - or they have all drowned.

I have a mate who recently completed one whole year of camping (he lost his rental and thought it was a good idea) and he recommends bushmans as the best premixed repellent. Or dettol and baby oil if you want to make one yourself. :)

I got badly bitten about 3 weeks ago when I first arrived in Perth, stoopid me didn't think Perth would have mozzies as its a dry heat and I was 9 floors up...I looked like I had chicken pox and I scratched them OMG the itch was horrific! It's true once you itch them it's almost impossible to stop the itch, the only thing I find that works for me once I've been bitten is a hot hot shower, don't know why but it seems to work.

Dettol and baby oil would keep more than mozzies away :lol:

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 9144111)
I got badly bitten about 3 weeks ago when I first arrived in Perth, stoopid me didn't think Perth would have mozzies as its a dry heat and I was 9 floors up...I looked like I had chicken pox and I scratched them OMG the itch was horrific! It's true once you itch them it's almost impossible to stop the itch, the only thing I find that works for me once I've been bitten is a hot hot shower, don't know why but it seems to work.

Dettol and baby oil would keep more than mozzies away :lol:

Baby oil wouldn't keep this wee mozzie from biting ya:wub:

HelenTD Feb 1st 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9144120)
Baby oil wouldn't keep this wee mozzie from biting ya:wub:

Wouldn't your teeth just keep sliding off?:sneaky:

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9144169)
Wouldn't your teeth just keep sliding off?:sneaky:

I would take them out:D

HelenTD Feb 1st 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9144172)
I would take them out:D

So you'd gum her to death?:lol:

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9144173)
So you'd gum her to death?:lol:

:thumbsup:

HelenTD Feb 2nd 2011 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9144178)
:thumbsup:

and surely your drool would just slide off the baby oil:eek:.