Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving and debt in the UK

Wikiposts

Moving and debt in the UK

Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:11 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and debt in the UK

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
CAB told my Dad 7 years
Nope its 6 years, or 5 in Scotland
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:13 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving and debt in the UK

I'm almost regretting what I've said, for fear of offending someone, then I kinda think, WHY SHOULD I WORRY?! This is the second house I've owned on my own, I've worked very hard to be here. It's a newbuild redbrick 3 bedroomed semi, and yes, it takes a good proportion of my wage to pay for it! I'm the first person in this house, and when I moved in, it was just bare walls, no flooring, nothing, the dust from the plaster and concrete would've choked you in your sleep. I worked hard to get it all kitted out, though 4 years on, I've still not painted all of it, haha lol That doesn't matter though, as it's mine, I've worked for it, nobody else.... So it makes me irrate that, the three familes who've just moved in, all in a row, who incidently are all related to each other, and each as lazy as the other, are living in exactly the same house and are paying diddly squat for it! Yes, I agree social housing and all that, but not in an area where people have worked hard to be, the mess they're making of the place, toys everywhere, rubbish everywhere! When those of us who live here and are paying our way, are trying to keep it tidy and respectable! It drives me clean potty!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH :curse:
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'm almost regretting what I've said, for fear of offending someone, then I kinda think, WHY SHOULD I WORRY?! This is the second house I've owned on my own, I've worked very hard to be here. It's a newbuild redbrick 3 bedroomed semi, and yes, it takes a good proportion of my wage to pay for it! I'm the first person in this house, and when I moved in, it was just bare walls, no flooring, nothing, the dust from the plaster and concrete would've choked you in your sleep. I worked hard to get it all kitted out, though 4 years on, I've still not painted all of it, haha lol That doesn't matter though, as it's mine, I've worked for it, nobody else.... So it makes me irrate that, the three familes who've just moved in, all in a row, who incidently are all related to each other, and each as lazy as the other, are living in exactly the same house and are paying diddly squat for it! Yes, I agree social housing and all that, but not in an area where people have worked hard to be, the mess they're making of the place, toys everywhere, rubbish everywhere! When those of us who live here and are paying our way, are trying to keep it tidy and respectable! It drives me clean potty!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH :curse:
errr.... understand your frustration but what is the relevance to this thread?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
A consumer debt will stay with you for 6 years....You should've stayed in Bermuda for another 3.5 years then the debt would be unenforcable
The lengths some people would go to to avoid £60 bill.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:19 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Debt and paying their way, people running from money they've clocked up, it all involves money in some shape or form! Don't worry, my rant is over...sorry if I've offended lol
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:21 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Debt and paying their way, people running from money they've clocked up, it all involves money in some shape or form! Don't worry, my rant is over...sorry if I've offended lol
well your rant did lump dole bludgers and the people of this thread who ran away from a foreign debt in the same basket
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:23 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Think yourself lucky, you could live in Park Lane

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...don/article.do
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:23 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

One of the things that makes this forum unique, is the tendency for people to get side-tracked, and on this occasion, I am guilty of that, OOPSIES! That's what happens when you've taught a class of little darlings all week and are now about to go out to yet another days work in your second job! I'm running on air...exhausted, so am talking a little bit of cr*p, sorry lol
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:25 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

One of the things that makes this forum unique, is the tendency for people to get side-tracked, and on this occasion, I am guilty of that, OOPSIES! That's what happens when you've taught a class of little darlings all week and are now about to go out to yet another days work in your second job! I'm running on air...exhausted, so am talking a little bit of cr*p, sorry lol
I didn't talk disrespectfully about anyone in this thread, I just got side-tracked as I've just said, it's a female thing, NO HARM INTENDED!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:29 pm
Cad and bounder

Back on topic, I do think debt is too readily written off in the UK. Alot of companies now choose to sell the debt often for a few pence to a DCA and let them chase it up.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by perksy
Think yourself lucky, you could live in Park Lane

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...don/article.do
OMG! Imagine trying to heat that place
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Paulry, so many freeloaders in today's society! :curse: Drives me crazy the amount of people here in the UK getting money for nothing, but don't get me started on that!!!!

If you borrow it, pay it back, what goes around comes around, and it'll always be there to haunt u!
What makes you think it isn't the same over here.?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:40 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What makes you think it isn't the same over here.?
I don't doubt that for one minute, unfortunately though, my only experience, so far, is of people in the UK....

Sorry for going off on a tangent earlier, I consider my wrists well and truly slapped!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:43 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I think student loans are enforceable for 25 years, other cards etc 6 years. not sure about personal loans, presume they are the same.

I think everyone should do what is best for their lives and their individual personal circumstances. There are different pressures and different motivators. Also different people can live with different things on their consciences.

I wouldn't worry about anything in the UK - I am not that kind of person but I can also understand how others do. I think you just do the best you can to stay above board and do the right thing by people, try to give back to society in general and you cant go far wrong. Personally I would rather spend my emotional energy constructively rather than judging others.

Vivienne
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:51 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by viviennef
I think student loans are enforceable for 25 years, other cards etc 6 years. not sure about personal loans, presume they are the same.

I think everyone should do what is best for their lives and their individual personal circumstances. There are different pressures and different motivators. Also different people can live with different things on their consciences.

I wouldn't worry about anything in the UK - I am not that kind of person but I can also understand how others do. I think you just do the best you can to stay above board and do the right thing by people, try to give back to society in general and you cant go far wrong. Personally I would rather spend my emotional energy constructively rather than judging others.

Vivienne
If its a pre-1998 student loan, then its only enforcable for 6 years. There was a loop-hole which the government closed. Anything thats classed as a consumer debt has the 6 year life span from when the last payment was made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.