Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving and debt in the UK

Wikiposts

Moving and debt in the UK

Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and debt in the UK

Kim69:To the people you know or of heard of who have jumped ship paying their debts?They just as well had robbed a bank.Better to pay of those debts and have a clear conscience !!!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

spot on broad shoulders cudnt agree more.....
living in reality id av to disagree banks have been robbing the public for years fat cat salaries,bank charges ect so good look to people if they can start afresh some were else without worrying about debt back home debt i might add that to many lending agencys are very keen to get people into in the first place....
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:25 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kim69
spot on broad shoulders cudnt agree more.....
living in reality id av to disagree banks have been robbing the public for years fat cat salaries,bank charges ect so good look to people if they can start afresh some were else without worrying about debt back home debt i might add that to many lending agencys are very keen to get people into in the first place....
So that makes it okay then?

Does it occur to you that the credit crunch and high bank charges are largely due to defaulters?

Would you encourage your children to do the same?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:29 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

If its a civil debt they'll pursue you for it, if its consumer debt then chances are you'll pretty much get away with it. I've spoken to loads of people in Australia who have got away with loads. Mainly getting stuff on HP, catalogues etc before they came to Oz. You just need to lay low for 6 years as far as I'm aware.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:32 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulry;7428001]So that makes it okay then?

Does it occur to you that the credit crunch and high bank charges are largely due to defaulters?

QUOTE]

Not strictly true. Its mainly the banks giving out loans/mortgages to those unable to afford the repayments. 125% Mortgages for a start? Whose brainwave was that?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:36 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Would you encourage your children to do the same?
I agree Paulry, so many freeloaders in today's society! :curse: Drives me crazy the amount of people here in the UK getting money for nothing, but don't get me started on that!!!!

If you borrow it, pay it back, what goes around comes around, and it'll always be there to haunt u!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:38 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I agree Paulry, so many freeloaders in today's society! :curse: Drives me crazy the amount of people here in the UK getting money for nothing, but don't get me started on that!!!!

If you borrow it, pay it back, what goes around comes around, and it'll always be there to haunt u!
Just wondering why you believe it'll always be there to haunt you?

Incidently I dont have any debt, I'm just interested in peoples conceptions on the subject
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=perksy;7428012]
Originally Posted by paulry

QUOTE]

Not strictly true. Its mainly the banks giving out loans/mortgages to those unable to afford the repayments. 125% Mortgages for a start? Whose brainwave was that?
Defaulters include those who find that they can no longer afford their repayments.

The responsibility for debt rests with those who took it out. No one forced them into it.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Just wondering why you believe it'll always be there to haunt you?

Incidently I dont have any debt, I'm just interested in peoples conceptions on the subject
Well in the back of your mind it will, I've always 'paid my way' and believe other people should too! I'm sick of paying tax so that the people a few doors up can have a house without having to pay a cent for it...and yes, that's a fact! These people are perfectly capable of getting a job, but don't...and it drives me nuts! I work two jobs, both very good jobs incidently, and I still find it difficult to make ends meet on occasion, especially in today's financial climate. So it makes me very angry that so many people manage to 'slip through the system' and don't contribute one little bit to the fabric of society! *RANT OVER*
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:49 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

...and mine was student debt, it's not like I was going shopping for loads of things I felt I liked before I came over. The reality was, that if I decided to pay off those debts then we wouldn't have been able to buy a house and then start a family, I would still be paying it off now instead of having two lovely boys and a house to live in.

I'm not saying it is right, but at the end of the day I was offering a direct answer to a direct question. Judge all you like!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Well in the back of your mind it will, I've always 'paid my way' and believe other people should too! I'm sick of paying tax so that the people a few doors up can have a house without having to pay a cent for it...and yes, that's a fact! These people are perfectly capable of getting a job, but don't...and it drives me nuts! I work two jobs, both very good jobs incidently, and I still find it difficult to make ends meet on occasion, especially in today's financial climate. So it makes me very angry that so many people manage to 'slip through the system' and don't contribute one little bit to the fabric of society! *RANT OVER*
I'd couldn't agree more with you Jen. Imagine where we would be if everyone chose to behave in that way.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Before I moved to Bermuda, I owned a flat in Wimbledon that I sold a few months after I left, in September 2006. Anyway, there was an unpaid water bill for about £60, which I hadn't thought about and a bill never reached me.

I returned to the UK over two years later and last week, I was contacted about this £60. So I had been tracked down, 2.5 years later and I am even using a different name now versus then as I got married in the meantime. So what I am trying to say is that debts do catch you up.

I would also like to point out again that I had no idea about this bill and did not deliberately try to avoid it. It is dishonest. Why be on the run all your life? I would hate to be in a situation where I felt I could not return to my home country.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:00 pm
Cad and bounder

[QUOTE=paulry;7428024]

Defaulters include those who find that they can no longer afford their repayments.

The responsibility for debt rests with those who took it out. No one forced them into it.
Partly agree, however the banks and the government must take their fair share of the responsibility for lending to those who are potentially high risk.

If you dangle a carrot infront of a hungry horse, dont be surprised if it eats it.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:02 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Before I moved to Bermuda, I owned a flat in Wimbledon that I sold a few months after I left, in September 2006. Anyway, there was an unpaid water bill for about £60, which I hadn't thought about and a bill never reached me.

I returned to the UK over two years later and last week, I was contacted about this £60. So I had been tracked down, 2.5 years later and I am even using a different name now versus then as I got married in the meantime. So what I am trying to say is that debts do catch you up.

I would also like to point out again that I had no idea about this bill and did not deliberately try to avoid it. It is dishonest. Why be on the run all your life? I would hate to be in a situation where I felt I could not return to my home country.
A consumer debt will stay with you for 6 years....You should've stayed in Bermuda for another 3.5 years then the debt would be unenforcable
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:09 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

A consumer debt will stay with you for 6 years....You should've stayed in Bermuda for another 3.5 years then the debt would be unenforcable
CAB told my Dad 7 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.