Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moved to OZ? Did you ever consider North America? Just asking!

Moved to OZ? Did you ever consider North America? Just asking!

Old Dec 25th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moved to OZ? Did you ever consider North America? Just asking!

I have often wondered why a Brit would migrate some 12,000 miles and go to the ends of the earth? I have never been to Oz myself but since it is the most popular destination it must hold many attractions. So my question boils down to this? Why did/will you go there and did/will you ever consider North America?
Old Dec 25th 2006, 8:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to OZ? Did you ever consider North America? Just asking!

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I have often wondered why a Brit would migrate some 12,000 miles and go to the ends of the earth? I have never been to Oz myself but since it is the most popular destination it must hold many attractions. So my question boils down to this? Why did/will you go there and did/will you ever consider North America?
My step-mother is Canadian and I have an uncle in Vancouver who emigrated 48 years ago when he was 17... I've visited US and Canada many times...

We chose Oz because I believe it is much easier to get into than either the US or Canada... Plus, mainly I guess, my OH had been here before on a WHV, loved it and always wanted to return...
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:08 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
My step-mother is Canadian and I have an uncle in Vancouver who emigrated 48 years ago when he was 17... I've visited US and Canada many times...

We chose Oz because I believe it is much easier to get into than either the US or Canada... Plus, mainly I guess, my OH had been here before on a WHV, loved it and always wanted to return...
We looked at Canada and the USA before settling on Australia.

Major factor was the weather thats what stopped us going to Canada.

The USA was harder to enter, but I didnt really fancy the USA its too similiar to Britain for us or the way Britain is going !!

But its up to the individual to decide not a forum...

Hope you find what you are looking for...

Nick
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

We wanted to go and live in Florida, we travelled there for a few years before 911 and the attitude of the Americans changed after then...

also we were there (Florida)when the big power cut's happened in new York, we went to lunch and all the TV's all on different stations were showing the mass panic of the power cuts, the Americans blamed every one in the world, the Mexicans, the Canadians, the French they were all plotting against the US.
I then realised that I didn’t want my kids to grow up with that kind of fear the yanks have of the outside world
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from North America. Funny, Ireland and England were up on the top of our list of places to consider before we decided on Australia. We figured if we're going to all the trouble and expense, then we'd go someplace different. Different weather, different scenery, different hemisphere.

Being one of those self effacing Canadians, I always wonder why so many people from UK want to move to Canada. Don't get me wrong. I love where I come from. It's just that I never really thought about why people would want to come from another western country to live there.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:25 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

I was offered a green card last month via the dv lottery and turned it down as i just felt that the USA has changed alot and is too inwardly looking for my liking. Love going there on holiday but culturally i think i wouldnt have fit....Off to Perth in Feb 07 now!
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:28 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

People prefer sun and surf of OZ ,then snow blizards and sleet of Canada.
many don't want to move to a country even colder then the UK.
OZ economy probably just as strong as Canada, so theres no employment or economic reasons to choose Canada over OZ.
Regarding the USA, probably too hard to get into, crime rate 3 or 4 times higher then OZ ,more guns , drugs ,gangs, cities more crowded, conjested.
Drive on left hand side of road in OZ.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 25th 2006 at 9:36 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:09 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve2438
We wanted to go and live in Florida, we travelled there for a few years before 911 and the attitude of the Americans changed after then...

also we were there (Florida)when the big power cut's happened in new York, we went to lunch and all the TV's all on different stations were showing the mass panic of the power cuts, the Americans blamed every one in the world, the Mexicans, the Canadians, the French they were all plotting against the US.
I then realised that I didn’t want my kids to grow up with that kind of fear the yanks have of the outside world
We also fell in love with Florida.We often talked how we would love to sell up and move out there when we were older.Now I'm in QLD which also has pine trees ,also has storms (with amazing lightning shows)and is also called The Sunshine State.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of people would be put off by Americans - Aussies are so much more like the English in my opijnion.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:38 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
...Aussies are so much more like the English in my opijnion.
Deffo...
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of people will tell you Australia is more like the US (or going that way) but I couldn't live here if it was too American.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never considered any part of the USA. I always knew I would live in Australia right from being 11 when my Aunt came back to the UK for a while. I thought she was mad for coming back to the UK and that's when I decided I wanted to live here.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:59 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Alot of people would be put off by Americans - Aussies are so much more like the English in my opijnion.
l met a Canadian who said he could'nt see any difference between Aussie and the English accents, Do Americans and Canadians think the OZ and Uk accents sound the same?
Old Dec 25th 2006, 11:56 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Canada - too cold.

USA - no health system and lots of idiots with guns

Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

99.9% of british people would only get a visa via the lottery system for the US. Canada's migration system takes too long (and the weather isnt that attractive to some). Australia offers simply the easiest route for migration for independent skilled migrants and the best climate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.