Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Move back to Britain? No way. 77% of Expats do not want to return.

Move back to Britain? No way. 77% of Expats do not want to return.

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to Britain? No way. 77% of Expats do not want to return.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Do we have to make this and 'us or them', 'here or there' issue. Everyone experiences things differently, and want different things from our lives. What works well for one, would be a nightmare for another. No-one is saying to stay or go is right or wrong - just what is right or wrong for them from a personal perspective. If your view is that you are one of the 23% who will one day return, say your piece, but let others have their say too. Whatever you feel doesn't change their experience.
Absolutely nothing to do with which percentage I fall into

But to try to suggest that people who stay in the UK 'stagnate' but that Australians are somehow different is just not accurate....there are plenty of people who 'stagnate' here
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great indie song called Ball of Confusion. Not sure who first sang it but is was brilliantly covered by Love and Rockets

It sprang into my head when I read this thread
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

But to try to suggest that people who stay in the UK 'stagnate' but that Australians are somehow different is just not accurate....there are plenty of people who 'stagnate' here
Except the first comment was the other way round http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10830098

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 2nd 2013 at 2:34 am. Reason: wrong link
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from the UK based around Brighton and....

if the weather could be as it is now all the time, it's been absolutely amazing these last few weeks I'd be tempted

everything is cheaper, even though everyone has been complaining of food going up...I was still amazed comparing items in Asda. Food choices over there are incredible in the supermarkets especially M&S..

you can get a decent pork pie

coffee has got a lot better

pub food has improved, had some lovely pub meals for a tenner a head, whereas we'd be paying $25 over here for mains

downside, a friend said that jobs are hard to come by and they've cut wages simply because they can, like everywhere utilities and council tax up in price

I'm very over strawberries....

I have to say we did see England at it's best, beautiful summer days and gorgeous countryside, the rose specs were on I guess but we did have a great time and it was nice to appreciate it for once!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Except the first comment was the other way round http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10830098
That was in response to the previous post

Not sure what point you are trying to make
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No different to here then
But of course - us migrants, though, by definition are not 'stay at homes'.
Does that not go without saying?

Whether an individual wants to stagnate or not is up to them.

It has nothing to do with the country.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Noone said that Australians are different, just that they as a migrant or expat - and by definition, are the sort of people who won't be caught doing what they were doing 20 years ago - because they aren't!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That was in response to the previous post

Not sure what point you are trying to make
You said
But the first quote suggesting someone would stagnate anywhere was Chris955 who complained of stagnating in Australia which was my link. That was my point.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Noone said that Australians are different, just that they as a migrant or expat - and by definition, are the sort of people who won't be caught doing what they were doing 20 years ago - because they aren't!
Plenty of migrants to Australia have worked in the same places for 20,30 or 40 years.
There was a radio programme recently about the redundancies in the car factories in Adelaide and many of the people working there were British who moved many years ago and still work there.

Quite a few on this site have probably worked in the same place for years and will continue to do so.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:49 am
Bitter and twisted

You said

But the first quote suggesting someone would stagnate anywhere was Chris955 who complained of stagnating in Australia which was my link. That was my point.
Following posts suggested that those who did not migrate somehow led a boring 'stagnating' existence.....that can happen anywhere even after you migrate.

Many people would not want it any other way
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:52 am

Following posts suggested that those who did not migrate somehow led a boring 'stagnating' existence.....that can happen anywhere even after you migrate.

Many people would not want it any other way
Do you not think that maybe they were responding to that initial post.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Do you not think that maybe they were responding to that initial post.
Both points of view are valid....what is the problem
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:00 am

Both points of view are valid....what is the problem
Then why did you feel the need to put down those that thought Australia was better for them?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:00 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

The way I'm feeling right now is, if I could swap my suburban Brisbane existence for a cottage with chickens and a garden in the SE English countryside - I'd be there in a flash.

So long as all is going to plan, we're going to have a look see early next year. Once I've had the look see I reserve the right to confirm my thoughts or change my mind.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by brissybee
The way I'm feeling right now is, if I could swap my suburban Brisbane existence for a cottage with chickens and a garden in the SE English countryside - I'd be there in a flash.

So long as all is going to plan, we're going to have a look see early next year. Once I've had the look see I reserve the right to confirm my thoughts or change my mind.
Have you got family still in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.