Moths!!!

Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:53 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moths!!!

Originally Posted by NickyC
Don't really like cockroaches either - it's just that I hate moths so much I'd rather encounter a cockroach to a moth, any day. I'm truly phobic about them - and the ones we get here (about now) are big, gruesome, black things.

Aboriginals used to eat them (moths, not cockroaches ). Apparantly, they have a very high fat content. Bleugh!
Wiggetty grubs are the larva of the giant moth I mentioned earlier..

When I was in Alice in June, I was offered WG... I was surprisingly full at that moment
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a very friendly bunch of Magpies visit regularly A plague of moths or a plague of cockroaches - no contest. Give me moths any day but just not so many of the damn things I hate cockroaches

I don't think moths can be that good for you, there's nothing of them but I guess when they are grubs they might be a bit more edible - not!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching a Channel 9 (or 7 or 10) TV crew going around the streets of Sydney, offering unsuspecting Japanese tourists a sample of a traditional aboriginal snack. It was during a big moth plague a few years ago.

Poor buggers - some of them actually tried baked Bogon moths. Apparantly you do take the wings off them before baking them.

I feel quite sick now.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:08 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I remember watching a Channel 9 (or 7 or 10) TV crew going around the streets of Sydney, offering unsuspecting Japanese tourists a sample of a traditional aboriginal snack. It was during a big moth plague a few years ago.

Poor buggers - some of them actually tried baked Bogon moths. Apparantly you do take the wings off them before baking them.

I feel quite sick now.
Thanks....so do I
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well these are all small - about 1 to 2 inches wide - thank god I wouldn't mind so much but the security lights won't go out because of the constant movement
small at 1 to 2 inches!! Not fussed about spiders, snakes etc but I am pertrified of moths and butterflies. Just found out that the bogan moths previously mentioned get drawn to canberra because of the bright lights I think i am going to have to have hypno therapy if this is anything to go by! Perhaps i'll have to learn to cook them as there are a few recipies! http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribb...02/default.htm
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:49 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone has a phobia against moths please steer clear of our place at the moment. In the last couple of days we must have had a few hundred thousand of the things. Anything painted white or close to a light is smothered in them. I can hardly see out of the kitchen window because they're sitting there looking at the kitchen light.

It's revolting and I've never seen anything like it before. Wasn't like this last year - what's going on
We've got em too up here in Redcliffe MoneyPen!!
Bloomin things are swarming in their thousands - not too bad at our side of the block but I pity the poor people at the front, can barely see out of their windows for the things!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We've got em too up here in Redcliffe MoneyPen!!
Bloomin things are swarming in their thousands - not too bad at our side of the block but I pity the poor people at the front, can barely see out of their windows for the things!
Have them in Toowoomba too! The cat is having a field day - keeps her amused for hours batting at the windows!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Warming up, everytings hatching out, never seen mozzies like this year noticed it last week and now ross river fever warnings in the paper. Councils up heres supposed to be spending big bucks on spraying, not sure with what but suppose if they are a health risk, ross river can knock you about for years, not into chemicals at all, but wearing the rid at the moment.

Have seen the moth plague, quite common in summer, also seen those large flying ants, and locusts. Dont think there was much of this sort of stuff last 2 years didnt really get hot.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black cat
small at 1 to 2 inches!! Not fussed about spiders, snakes etc but I am pertrified of moths and butterflies. Just found out that the bogan moths previously mentioned get drawn to canberra because of the bright lights I think i am going to have to have hypno therapy if this is anything to go by! Perhaps i'll have to learn to cook them as there are a few recipies! http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribb...02/default.htm
You're just like me. I'd only be truly happy if every moth and butterfly was wiped off the face of the earth.

I lived in Canberra for a few years and did get used to them to a certain degree. The bogons are only really about whilst they're migrating - late Sept to early Oct in Sydney, a bit later in Canberra. Some years you get none, other years you get loads - it depends on the weather and the prevailing winds.

You quickly learn to keep your doors and windows shut at night!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:02 am
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

I am the same! Absolutely petrified of moths and butterflies!! I had a butterfly chase me at Crystal Cascades (Cairns) once and I screamed and ran down the path, when the path came to an end I ran back up the path and it followed me!! It was a terrifying experience!

Hearing stories about these moths is making my skin crawl
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We had our place sprayed last April so moths are dropping fast in their thousands.

There's way too many for our resident magpies so I've been sweeping them into the breeze every morning.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Moth bread ..... EEEEEUUUUWWHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to meet someone who had tried this recipe...

so I could give them a good slap!!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone has a phobia against moths please steer clear of our place at the moment. In the last couple of days we must have had a few hundred thousand of the things. Anything painted white or close to a light is smothered in them. I can hardly see out of the kitchen window because they're sitting there looking at the kitchen light.

It's revolting and I've never seen anything like it before. Wasn't like this last year - what's going on
Hey moneypen20

And I thought that every moth in QLD was hanging out at our place at the moment. YUK

Sharon
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know it's not just us being smelly then
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

At every petrol station near us there must be a few thousand moths buzzing around the overhead lights above the pumps! There are a bloody lot of moths round here at the mo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.