Mortgages

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Mortgages

where is the best place to start looking into mortgages, how much we can borrow, pay back etc etc, fees??
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:59 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mortgages

I would go to any of the bank websites and use the calculators they have.

Ours is with Westpac so here's there link:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...tors+and+tools

Each bank website would likely have their own calculators, the results should be very similar. It should give you a pretty good idea.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:10 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Try a broker who can shop around a number of providers to find you the best deal for what your looking for. I used www.aussie.com.au - they can search the top four banks as well as non-bank lenders.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:15 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Try a broker who can shop around a number of providers to find you the best deal for what your looking for. I used www.aussie.com.au - they can search the top four banks as well as non-bank lenders.
Right now I'd say that if you don't have 20% of the value of the property then you'll have a hard time getting a mortgage. You could take out mortgage lender's insurance to cover the bank, but according to my broker the premiums have shot through the roof, since most of them are American companies who have lost a fortune in America.

So, essentially, the easiest way to think is:

(The amount I'm using as a deposit+first home buyers grant-costs-amount I need when I move)*5
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by harrip
Yeah a broker will get you a deal, but will get the deal that lines their own pocket first!!

Try www.bankwest.com.au
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Burbage;7203504]Right now I'd say that if you don't have 20% of the value of the property then you'll have a hard time getting a mortgage.

Not always the case, my son has just got 100% mortgage
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;7207429]
Originally Posted by Burbage
Right now I'd say that if you don't have 20% of the value of the property then you'll have a hard time getting a mortgage.

Not always the case, my son has just got 100% mortgage
Not many of the banks are offering them though......

Even the 100% mortgages people need to have cash up front to pay for stamp duty, conveyancing and of course insurance already mentioned.

Lau