Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

More fridge advice lol

More fridge advice lol

Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:52 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default More fridge advice lol

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=fridge

Referring to this now closed thread. I am STILL having to do this to the fridge, we have been living in Brisbane for just over 2 months now and I've had to do this to the fridge 3 TIMES in this short space of time. Any tips on how to stop the little hole filling up with ice? It's just very frustrating...should I just give up and get a new fridge freezer, when really, once it's working again, it's fine, or should I get an engineer to look at it, bearing in mind it's a British brand so parts won't be easily available here?! Hmmmm
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More fridge advice lol

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni

Referring to this now closed thread. I am STILL having to do this to the fridge, we have been living in Brisbane for just over 2 months now and I've had to do this to the fridge 3 TIMES in this short space of time. Any tips on how to stop the little hole filling up with ice? It's just very frustrating...should I just give up and get a new fridge freezer, when really, once it's working again, it's fine, or should I get an engineer to look at it, bearing in mind it's a British brand so parts won't be easily available here?! Hmmmm
Do Apple do fridges?

They are meant to be very good ...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

you can get parts for your fridges easy over here they just have different part numbers

our fridge started playing up when we arrived and they said they couldnt get the right part so i emailed them a picture over which he then told me he stocked loads of

also it is probably just as cheap to send the part over from the u.k if needs must
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:14 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as though there may be a problem with the gas. It may just need a re-gas, but be warned if that fails, it will mean an internal leak which means FUBAR. Not sure if an Aussie engineer would have the correct sized rings and dryers to do a compressor change and/or regas.

The evaporating tube should be kept clear so that water can flow freely out and evaporate away. If it is freezing up then it is because the liquid/gas that flows through the evaporator/condenser is not moving correctly, which could indicate a FUBAR compressor. Or it could be the fan.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
It sounds as though there may be a problem with the gas. It may just need a re-gas, but be warned if that fails, it will mean an internal leak which means FUBAR. Not sure if an Aussie engineer would have the correct sized rings and dryers to do a compressor change and/or regas.

The evaporating tube should be kept clear so that water can flow freely out and evaporate away. If it is freezing up then it is because the liquid/gas that flows through the evaporator/condenser is not moving correctly, which could indicate a FUBAR compressor. Or it could be the fan.
Sorry poster, but the whole of your post is 100% gold plated bullsh1t !

What on Earth motivated you to post such drivel on a public forum ?

"Not sure if an Aussie engineer would have the correct sized rings and dryers to do a compressor change and/or regas."

I've changed thousands of 'hermetics's' mate and funny enough I always had the correct sized "rings and dryers"

Have a good one

Last edited by Hino; Feb 21st 2013 at 3:10 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Gets hot this time of year in the Airconditioning and Refridgeration mechanics world...

Hence "Fridgy rage"
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:36 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Sorry poster, but the whole of your post is 100% gold plated bullsh1t !

What on Earth motivated you to post such drivel on a public forum ?

"Not sure if an Aussie engineer would have the correct sized rings and dryers to do a compressor change and/or regas."

I've changed thousands of 'hermetics's' mate and funny enough I always had the correct sized "rings and dryers"

Have a good one
Based on it being a UK fridge and I am not sure if Aussie engineers would carry the correct size. Note that my post does not contain definitives. It is based on working with UK refrigeration engineers and trouble shooting those kinds of problems. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but I have not professed to being an expert. It was my thoughts on the problem she has been having. I was trying to help.

If you know so much more, perhaps you could be of help to the poster and advise her of what may be the problem?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:20 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen this problem before.

You will need to leave the freezer door open for about 5 mins, stand in front of it during that time and ensure there is no excess leakage. After the five minutes, take a waist-up selfie on your iPhone then text me the pic
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I've seen this problem before.

You will need to leave the freezer door open for about 5 mins, stand in front of it during that time and ensure there is no excess leakage. After the five minutes, take a waist-up selfie on your iPhone then text me the pic
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if we will ever find out if the Fridge got fixed ?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:42 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Wonder if we will ever find out if the Fridge got fixed ?
It's been doing it for years, I doubt it'll ever be fully fixed!!! Sorry, I work full-time and haven't had a minute since, to reply...
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:24 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I work full-time and haven't had a minute since, to reply...
are you suggesting the rest of us are dole-bludgers?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
are you suggesting the rest of us are dole-bludgers?
Yup lol