Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

the misplaced or redundant comma

the misplaced or redundant comma

Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the misplaced or redundant comma

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Jeez Whats gonna happen when they start using semi-colons .
(Thank The Lord) semi-commas seem to be used less and less nowadays.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montreal mike
You are correct. But option 2 is the correct answer since the chain couldn't possibly have 1000 outlets in the Bronx alone. And this was the point I was trying to make. Being that in this case the lack of a comma makes the statement inaccurate and thus false.
Agreed.

Hence it is the context and content that maketh a contract
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think intent should count in this case. Seems to me no one wants to sign a contract where one party can opt out after the end of year 1. But technically, based upon the rules that I was taught in the early fifties, this would be permitted.
A judge would also look at mitigating circumstances. If the company can prove they would have been out of pocket with a contract that turns out to be short term, then no judge in his/her right mind would believe a company would sign up for it knowing this.

It all depends on whether the judge wants to stick to the letter of the contract... or common sense
</IMG>
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a short story not connected with this case but still dealing with the English language.

A number of years ago, whilst listening to my usual radio station one fine morning, the residenrt 'morning man' had a guest in his studio. This was not unusual.

But this contrived converation was:

Morning Man: You know English is a confusing language.

Guest: How so?

Morning Man: Well for example if I were to say you have a 'fat' chance' or I say you have a 'slim chance', I am saying exactly the same thing although 'slim' is the very opposite of 'fat'.

Guest: Come to think of it you are absolutely correct.

Morning man: Just goes to show what cunning linguists we are.

This followed by roars of laughter. I didn't see then what was so funny but hours later it hit me.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
A judge would also look at mitigating circumstances. If the company can prove they would have been out of pocket with a contract that turns out to be short term, then no judge in his/her right mind would believe a company would sign up for it knowing this.

It all depends on whether the judge wants to stick to the letter of the contract... or common sense
</IMG>
Alas but in many cases judges display a distinct lack of common sense. Some of their rulings or decisions astound me.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:43 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a short story not connected with this case but still dealing with the English language.

A number of years ago, whilst listening to my usual radio station one fine morning, the residenrt 'morning man' had a guest in his studio. This was not unusual.

But this contrived converation was:

Morning Man: You know English is a confusing language.

Guest: How so?

Morning Man: Well for example if I were to say you have a 'fat' chance' or I say you have a 'slim chance', I am saying exactly the same thing although 'slim' is the very opposite of 'fat'.

Guest: Come to think of it you are absolutely correct.

Morning man: Just goes to show what cunning linguists we are.

This followed by roars of laughter. I didn't see then what was so funny but hours later it hit me.
Oh I twigged straight away... but then I'm a woman Nuff said
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:49 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Jeez Whats gonna happen when they start using semi-colons .
You can't use my colon Jack, it's taken try midgets-r-us for a semi one tho
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Oh I twigged straight away... but then I'm a woman Nuff said
I must be innocent at heart because it didn't sink in for a while (no pun intended).