Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Miserable customs officials in Australia

Miserable customs officials in Australia

Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Miserable customs officials in Australia

Originally Posted by Assegai
When I landed in Adelaide on New Years day in 2008. I had to fill this blasted form in on the plane and one of the questions was about food you were carrying, this was to do with quarantine controls.

Anyway I duly filled the form in and stated that there was just a candy bar (very US) or two and some sachets of coffee. The grim faced customs woman made me empty my suitcase and show her the offending items which I couldn't find. I said to her " I don't remember having all these problems last time I came to Oz (2005)" and she said "problems?!" I said yes all this palava at customs with small items of food. Miserable bitch then said " I should stop right there if I was you!"

I then had to be interrogated by this miserable customs bloke, "How long you staying?" "Will you be working?" "Have you got any family here?" To the last question I said "No, but I might have in about 9 months time" (as I'm a bit of a lothario, but don't tell my misses). When I looked at the Customs bloke after this comment, his face was more miserable than ever.

Great start to the New Year and my stay in Oz.
Sorry to hear that, I guess working on a new years day get to us all. The worst customs I have been through is going into and out of the US. The treatment by them was not a one-off as it happened on each and every visit. Talk about Rigid. Jumped up little Hitlers would be the best way to describe them.

Barney
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:58 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by POW148
Sorry to hear that, I guess working on a new years day get to us all. The worst customs I have been through is going into and out of the US. The treatment by them was not a one-off as it happened on each and every visit. Talk about Rigid. Jumped up little Hitlers would be the best way to describe them.

Barney
Cheers Barney, like your gallery
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:17 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want any crap from Australian customs don't bring anything organic in with you. Sometimes I even question leaving the wife on the plane.

Also, to reaffirm what another poster mentioned, when was the last time you went through US customs they are 50 times worse. At least the ones in California are.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:23 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

sorry you had problems but come on everyone has an off day sometimes you just had bad luck!

I have always found them to be helpful mind I ensure my declared stuff is in my hand luggage and easy to produce if possible.

I guess they have to put up with so much crap that you can understand them getting bit fed up better luck next time
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Customs officials in OZ are way over the top. It is just a front to try and show they are protecting their borders.

Funny thing is if you post most of the items they stop you for they get in no problem.

Having said that I have never had any problems apart from them being rude to me. My response is to be disturbingly happy and nice to them.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
assegai on the lap top, smutaza on the p.c.
Kay eye ess ess eye en gee
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is Assegai the new Smurtaza?
My guess is he's no longer getting the attention he craves in The Lounge, Poll.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
My guess is he's no longer getting the attention he craves in The Lounge, Poll.
You're probably right there
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling overseas for business, I went through Sydney customs about 5 or 6 times last year. Each time I had nothing to 'declare' and was waived through without having to go through the bag x-ray.

I think it has something to do with a code that the passport guy writes on your form, showing that you are a regular traveller etc. This happened coming in from NZ, UK and even Thailand.

When coming in from NZ about 4 weeks ago, I was just asked if I had been playing golf (soil on shoes I guess) and then sent straight through without queues or x-ray!

I have to say that NZ customs/bag scanning is much worse, especially if you arrive in Christchurch just at the same time as a few other planes - count on 1 1/2 hours at least to get through.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH always says when we get to the airport... no comments jokey or otherwise infront of customs/security.. ever... not ever.. in a million years..

Em x
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigAPE
If you don't want any crap from Australian customs don't bring anything organic in with you. Sometimes I even question leaving the wife on the plane.

Also, to reaffirm what another poster mentioned, when was the last time you went through US customs they are 50 times worse. At least the ones in California are.
I disagree. I get treated way worse by Australian customs than the US customs and I'm an Australian citizen!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
I disagree. I get treated way worse by Australian customs than the US customs and I'm an Australian citizen!
That's because you are seen as exotic, yet still white bread enough by the US customs.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:12 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Attitude like yours is why some customs officers are more officious than maybe necessary. There are people in life you don't give grief to - police, doctors and customs officials to name but three.
I was going to say it couldn't happen to a more deserving fellow.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Customs officials in OZ are way over the top. It is just a front to try and show they are protecting their borders.

Funny thing is if you post most of the items they stop you for they get in no problem.

Having said that I have never had any problems apart from them being rude to me. My response is to be disturbingly happy and nice to them.
Way to go. It is really hard to be cranky with someone who agrees with you.

Barney
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
We accidentally brought in a tube of fruit pastels to Sydney. (At the bottom of small child's bag - totally forgotten about.) They were detected and we apologised, the customs person was very nice. She let our daughter keep them.

In contrast, we passed through LA on our way to NZ and our whole plane load of passengers were locked under armed guard in a barrack type building with open toilets (ie open to the guards who watched you pee!!)

On the return journey, we were given the run of the airport - not sure what the problem was on the outward journey??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.