British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The mind boggling world of health care (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/mind-boggling-world-health-care-919649/)

paulry Mar 28th 2019 1:11 pm

Re: The mind boggling world of health care

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12661263)
This.......

I have ceased my private insurance as of about three months ago after joining in 2000 at the conception. Fed up with constant rises above inflation, ever declining usefulness. Very touch and go if present system can afford to remain as is over longer term.

Even though I've reduced it a lot from what it was, I've been thinking of doing the same for some time now. About the only benefits we've had from membership are the annual pairs of glasses (the house is awash with them) and dental check ups. Even when we had a health emergency a few months ago the decision was to go public because the public system having picked up on the problem in the first place was more than fit for purpose to fairly quickly deal with it. The only things that cause me to pause from cancelling is the Medicare Levy and the thought that you never know we might need them.... :unsure:

spouse of scouse Mar 28th 2019 1:45 pm

I don't think you can fault the public health system's treatment for emergencies that require hospital in-patient stays. For 'elective' hospital procedures or non-emergency conditions, the system's effectiveness (ie how long you'll wait) does seem to depend on how swamped the particular public hospital is.

A few very diverse experiences my immediate family has had recently.

Daughter, life threatening complication of her disability and medical conditions, no private health insurance - immediate admission to a public hospital, 10 week stay in a private room.

Son, cerebral hemmorrhage (stroke), mild pancreatitis, diabetes, diagnosis of all delayed because he didn't see a GP until I practically kidnapped him and took him to my own excellent GP. No private health insurance. GP liased with head of the relevant clinic at our local public hospital, started him immediately on a raft of life-saving medications as well as getting him started on huge lifestyle changes. Face to face appointments with relevant clinics at the public hospital took all took place within 1 month.

Mother, diagnosis of breast cancer, no private health insurance. Public hospital wait list to see a breast surgeon and oncologist was 6 weeks, so Mum paid to follow up her diagnosis privately. Thankfully the condition should be kept at bay with oral medication, which she's now receiving.

Mother, previous bowel resection after diagnosis of bowel cancer. Recommended for colonoscopy every 12 months. After waiting over 2 years on the public hospital's wait list, she paid around $3,500 for the procedure in a private hospital.

Husband, requires gastroscopy and colonoscopy due to symptoms. Private health insurance. Procedure recommended last week, is having it done next week in a private hospital. Health fund covers all costs, no gap.

Husband, requires full shoulder reconstruction. Surgeon has offered him a range of days for the surgery, beginning next week. Health fund will cover all costs, no gap.

Opinions about whether private health cover is or isn't worth it relate only to the individual making the statements. Just because it is or isn't worth it to them, that doesn't hold true for the entire population. As with any significant financial investment, each individual has to do their research, look at their own circumstances, and then make the decision.

ozzieeagle Mar 28th 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12662261)
I don't think you can fault the public health system's treatment for emergencies that require hospital in-patient stays. For 'elective' hospital procedures or non-emergency conditions, the system's effectiveness (ie how long you'll wait) does seem to depend on how swamped the particular public hospital is.

A few very diverse experiences my immediate family has had recently.

Daughter, life threatening complication of her disability and medical conditions, no private health insurance - immediate admission to a public hospital, 10 week stay in a private room.

Son, cerebral hemmorrhage (stroke), mild pancreatitis, diabetes, diagnosis of all delayed because he didn't see a GP until I practically kidnapped him and took him to my own excellent GP. No private health insurance. GP liased with head of the relevant clinic at our local public hospital, started him immediately on a raft of life-saving medications as well as getting him started on huge lifestyle changes. Face to face appointments with relevant clinics at the public hospital took all took place within 1 month.

Mother, diagnosis of breast cancer, no private health insurance. Public hospital wait list to see a breast surgeon and oncologist was 6 weeks, so Mum paid to follow up her diagnosis privately. Thankfully the condition should be kept at bay with oral medication, which she's now receiving.

Mother, previous bowel resection after diagnosis of bowel cancer. Recommended for colonoscopy every 12 months. After waiting over 2 years on the public hospital's wait list, she paid around $3,500 for the procedure in a private hospital.

Husband, requires gastroscopy and colonoscopy due to symptoms. Private health insurance. Procedure recommended last week, is having it done next week in a private hospital. Health fund covers all costs, no gap.

Husband, requires full shoulder reconstruction. Surgeon has offered him a range of days for the surgery, beginning next week. Health fund will cover all costs, no gap.

Opinions about whether private health cover is or isn't worth it relate only to the individual making the statements. Just because it is or isn't worth it to them, that doesn't hold true for the entire population. As with any significant financial investment, each individual has to do their research, look at their own circumstances, and then make the decision.

Quite, I've known people go through agonyof waiting for a hip operation for years, rather than pay for insurance. It does depend on the individual and we personally only use private hospital cover and that is purely about not wanting to wait for any procedure that we may need.

When I had a Melanoma dected, the GP as soon as he found out, and this was a Sunday here in Coburg, was phoning surgeons at home on that Sunday, right there in front of me in the surgery...... which although was nice and quick did freak me out a bit at the urgency. Turned out OK. I was seen and biopsped by Tuesday and in Hospital having it removed the following Tuesday. Got to admit it probably would have been quick through the public system, maybe an extra week or so....but that would have been an extra week of terrible worry.

the troubadour Mar 29th 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12662239)
Even though I've reduced it a lot from what it was, I've been thinking of doing the same for some time now. About the only benefits we've had from membership are the annual pairs of glasses (the house is awash with them) and dental check ups. Even when we had a health emergency a few months ago the decision was to go public because the public system having picked up on the problem in the first place was more than fit for purpose to fairly quickly deal with it. The only things that cause me to pause from cancelling is the Medicare Levy and the thought that you never know we might need them.... :unsure:

Yes one must weigh up the benefits with regarding own circumstances. No wonder medical tourism is an ever growing business in Asia with Australians. (let alone moving over for life style enhancement) Of course going away from private insurance, one can return to it over a period of time. But only once can this be done in the history of the policy.

HUP Jan 4th 2020 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Clacfart (Post 12599910)
As the title states.... How do you choose which private health insurance to go with? I mean, I know my needs but I am finding many of the "we will cover you for this, won't cover you for that" a little ambiguous.

So, how did you choose health care insurance? Have they been what they have said on the tin? Are there any providers to avoid?

Many thanks x

I have not had private health in the 16 years that I have been here and I have just been listening to the audiobook The Barefoot Investor and I have now rectified that. He recommends getting hospital only cover. This is the website that he recommends and I used.

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

I ended up going with AHM