Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The mind boggling world of health care

The mind boggling world of health care

Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default The mind boggling world of health care

As the title states.... How do you choose which private health insurance to go with? I mean, I know my needs but I am finding many of the "we will cover you for this, won't cover you for that" a little ambiguous.

So, how did you choose health care insurance? Have they been what they have said on the tin? Are there any providers to avoid?

Many thanks x
Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The mind boggling world of health care

Originally Posted by Clacfart
As the title states.... How do you choose which private health insurance to go with? I mean, I know my needs but I am finding many of the "we will cover you for this, won't cover you for that" a little ambiguous.

So, how did you choose health care insurance? Have they been what they have said on the tin? Are there any providers to avoid?

Many thanks x
I use the public system. It's very good in NSW. (Not sure about other states) and I pay for it so I am going to make use of it. I don't believe in means testing or any of that crap so I don't believe that the public health system is there for those not so well off. It's there for everyone. Plus private does a gap. You pay for the first X and we cover the remaining Y.

Depending on your health and family status you might go for the bare minimum.

Ours is through my wife's work. We probably need to revisit it and make sure we are getting the best deal. There are a number of websites which can help you figure out which is right for you.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks x
I think the not for profit providers are the best - in WA we have HBF (who are pretty good) and I'm sure there will be something similar in SA. There are also private providers like Bupa. Do some research and ask people for their experiences

It's good to have some level of cover for tax reasons but how much is up to you and your ability to pay. Personally, I find the public system to be superb. I was in the emergency room at our local (brand new) hospital on Sunday (done the meniscus in my right knee) and although I had to wait over an hour to be seen, the care I got was fantastic. Couldn't fault it
Old Nov 27th 2018, 1:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think the not for profit providers are the best - in WA we have HBF (who are pretty good) and I'm sure there will be something similar in SA. There are also private providers like Bupa. Do some research and ask people for their experiences

It's good to have some level of cover for tax reasons but how much is up to you and your ability to pay. Personally, I find the public system to be superb. I was in the emergency room at our local (brand new) hospital on Sunday (done the meniscus in my right knee) and although I had to wait over an hour to be seen, the care I got was fantastic. Couldn't fault it
Yup, exactly what Zulu and Beoz have said.

Health 'insurance' isn't really insurance, it's really a tax incentive scheme that allows you to recover some of the costs of going private. There are a lot of exclusions, and a lot of loopholes that mean the insurers won't pay out. For example any treatment that is not conducted inside the physical walls of a hospital.

From my experience, the exclusions seem to be getting longer and longer, and the benefits shorter and shorter. Personally, I have the lowest possible cost hospital cover, and rely on the public health system for any treatment I have, but also safe in the knowledge that if something urgent does come along, I can pull out my insurance card and skip the queue a bit.

S
Old Nov 27th 2018, 9:52 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yup, exactly what Zulu and Beoz have said.

Health 'insurance' isn't really insurance, it's really a tax incentive scheme that allows you to recover some of the costs of going private. There are a lot of exclusions, and a lot of loopholes that mean the insurers won't pay out. For example any treatment that is not conducted inside the physical walls of a hospital.

From my experience, the exclusions seem to be getting longer and longer, and the benefits shorter and shorter. Personally, I have the lowest possible cost hospital cover, and rely on the public health system for any treatment I have, but also safe in the knowledge that if something urgent does come along, I can pull out my insurance card and skip the queue a bit.

S
A good summary of the situation.

The thing I find most peculiar about the whole private medical insurance system in Australia is most insured people, when asked whether they have private medical insurance, "the gap" compels them to reply "no".

Along with negative gearing, it is a tax concession that could probably do with being reviewed.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much guys. Lots of great advice. I haven't joined Medicare care yet but it is on my list of things to do but feel much better after reading this. Seems pretty similar to the UKs private health service.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 4:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I do have private health insurance but I use it. I claim back the full amount for my glasses/contact lenses, visit the dentist at least twice a year, claim for any extras I can - even my gym membership. I recently had major surgery and chose the surgeon I wanted and the date that suited me within 6 weeks instead of a registrar and a 2 year public wait. My insurance paid over $19000 and my gap was $500 for the hospital. I paid the anaesthetist upfront, and insurance had the money in my account 3 days after I put in the claim.

I think PI can be a good thing if you use it to your advantage. I'm with HBF and because of where I work I get discount member premiums. Check with your HR department to see if your employer is partnered with a health fund.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 4:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much guys. Lots of great advice. I haven't joined Medicare care yet but it is on my list of things to do but feel much better after reading this. Seems pretty similar to the UKs private health service.
Overall, the health system here can seem complicated and does need streamlining, but it works

Standards of care are high and the system doesn't seem as stressed as the NHS (which is also excellent)
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Private health insurance is a rort. Some of the insurers even brag about their junk policies used by customers to just avoid the tax hit.

Never had a problem with Medicare and always use a bulk billing doctor. But I have heard of some awful delays for surgery just like with the NHS.

If you take private insurance you need to decide if you want to have health cover and/or extras cover. We had hospital & extras and eventually binned the extras as just was not getting any value out of it, too many restrictions.

If you don't take it out within 12 months of arrival and are aged over 30 and later decide to take it you will be clobbered with a lifetime loading. 2% per year for each year over aged 30.

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/hea...ealthcover.htm
Department of Health Lifetime Health Cover
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

None. It’s a waste of money
Old Jan 6th 2019, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes can confirm what the other said, it's also a queue jumping system, which is important for many treatments when one gets older. From Hips to Cancer etc etc. The Public system is adequate but there can be waits.

So minimum hospital cover it is.

As a side note, I wear glasses and unbelivably Spec Savers give you discounts on their glasses, even if you only have hospital cover.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

But if you do decide to purchase health insurance don't use the commercial comparison sites, look here instead: https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dynamic/search. We did and cut out the bits we don't need (who needs maternity cover deep into their 50s?!) and have been able to reduce our premiums by close to half.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
But if you do decide to purchase health insurance don't use the commercial comparison sites, look here instead: https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dynamic/search. We did and cut out the bits we don't need (who needs maternity cover deep into their 50s?!) and have been able to reduce our premiums by close to half.
This is super helpful. Thank you
Old Mar 27th 2019, 7:30 am
Banned

This is another one, a comparison site for Members Own health insurances. As I understand it they are not for profit organisations, and apparently cheaper: https://membersown.com.au/
Old Mar 27th 2019, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Private health insurance is a rort. Some of the insurers even brag about their junk policies used by customers to just avoid the tax hit.

Never had a problem with Medicare and always use a bulk billing doctor. But I have heard of some awful delays for surgery just like with the NHS.

If you take private insurance you need to decide if you want to have health cover and/or extras cover. We had hospital & extras and eventually binned the extras as just was not getting any value out of it, too many restrictions.

If you don't take it out within 12 months of arrival and are aged over 30 and later decide to take it you will be clobbered with a lifetime loading. 2% per year for each year over aged 30.

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/hea...ealthcover.htm
Department of Health Lifetime Health Cover
This.......

I have ceased my private insurance as of about three months ago after joining in 2000 at the conception. Fed up with constant rises above inflation, ever declining usefulness. Very touch and go if present system can afford to remain as is over longer term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.