Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Military careers in Oz

Wikiposts

Military careers in Oz

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Military careers in Oz

Hi people
My youngest who is 12 is interested in a military career when he is all big and grown up Now, in the UK it would be the Royal Marines he wants to join but we dont know what the equivilant is in Oz, or even if there is an equivilant. Anyone got any know how or links to websites he can have a look at please
Thanks
Mandy
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:42 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Military careers in Oz

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi people
My youngest who is 12 is interested in a military career when he is all big and grown up Now, in the UK it would be the Royal Marines he wants to join but we dont know what the equivilant is in Oz, or even if there is an equivilant. Anyone got any know how or links to websites he can have a look at please
Thanks
Mandy
Daunted, have a look at the links below.....The Australian's have Commandos as well..The whole web sites is pretty good actually!!

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/defaul...ubSectionID=33

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=123

Has he considered going to Uni first and then entering as an officer? Given my time again, I would do exactly that - far better prospects in later life!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Has he considered going to Uni first and then entering as an officer? Given my time again, I would do exactly that - far better prospects in later life!
Better idea is to get the Defence Force to pay for your Uni education .

Check out ADFA - http://www.defence.gov.au/adfa/
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies - gonna sit down with son and have a good look at sites tomorrow with son. he is university material so no reason why cant go in as an officer. I was in the RAF so know it the best option. all of a sudden the reality of itall has hit home,
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi people
Thanks
Mandy
Aussies do not have the equivalent of the RM but they do have a commando battalion as well as a parachute battalion. So plenty of opps to do all that elite stuff!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:43 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Aussies do not have the equivalent of the RM but they do have a commando battalion as well as a parachute battalion. So plenty of opps to do all that elite stuff!
Don't know too much about the Aussie paras but if they are anything like their Brit counterparts then the will be a shower of shit.
You would be much better off these days getting a real trade and earning some real dollars without having to worry about ballistics entering your cranium.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
Don't know too much about the Aussie paras but if they are anything like their Brit counterparts then the will be a shower of shit.
You would be much better off these days getting a real trade and earning some real dollars without having to worry about ballistics entering your cranium.
You are truly a worrying individual FB.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are truly a worrying individual FB.
Why is that then?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the poms but the paras that were with us in Namibia were shit hot.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't know about the poms but the paras that were with us in Namibia were shit hot.
The only time I felt safe around the paras in Kuwait was when we were out of range of the SLR's they were carrying.

The regimant is so full of dick heads it is not funny. You should try walking in to the Pegasus pub in Aldershot and try and strike up a normal conversation, not a series of grunts.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:39 pm

The only time I felt safe around the paras in Kuwait was when we were out of range of the SLR's they were carrying.

The regimant is so full of dick heads it is not funny. You should try walking in to the Pegasus pub in Aldershot and try and strike up a normal conversation, not a series of grunts.
You really are a prick with a seriously bad attitude aren't you?! (apologies to minors who may be reading this)!

Some of the best blokes I have ever met and WILL ever meet are PARAS! For the record, did a few years myself!

In all honesty, I never had one conversation with any of them that consisted of grunts! Yes, we liked a beer and could get a bit rowdy...ever heard the saying 'work hard - play hard'?

As for professionalism, I have worked with many many different units over the years, British and non-British.......there is no other regiment I would rather have looking out for me (world wide - fullstop)!

You big girl!!!

Oh, and as a non-para, you were never welcome in the Pegasus anyway! Actually surprised a para even attempted to communicate with you. Normal response would be a swift exit (for you that is) on your arse!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Oct 23rd 2007 at 9:42 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
You really are a prick
You know that is just the sort of thing I would of expected of an ex para.

The reason i drunk a few pints in the Pegasus was because I did P company and passed. What did you do in the paras...attached with the catering corps?

Look mate, you go your way and I will go mine eh?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:10 pm

You know that is just the sort of thing I would of expected of an ex para.

The reason i drunk a few pints in the Pegasus was because I did P company and passed. What did you do in the paras...attached with the catering corps?

Look mate, you go your way and I will go mine eh?
Save your breath Fat Boy.............you'll need it to climb on top of your missus later!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:56 pm
Banned

Now you see that is twice in the one thread where you have verbally abused me for no good reason other than you don't like me.

You really should learn to be more accepting, after all, you are on your second user name on this site after you got banned for abusing people the first time round.

Seems like some things never change.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

When i went off to bed last night i was impressed with how quickly people had offered advice and the links i had asked for. I had told my son someone would be able to help and i wasnt wrong- Thanks

Just a shame that I now, thanks to a certain few comments, cannot print it off for him to read the words of advice and encouragement. Thanks and there was me thinking we were all adults
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.