Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Migrant workers 'help UK economy'

Migrant workers 'help UK economy'

Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:27 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migrant workers 'help UK economy'

Migrant workers have boosted the UK economy, with their influx not having a negative effect on employment or wage levels, the TUC has argued.

Foreign workers made a positive net economic contribution, it said, with their share of tax paid exceeding the cost of supplying public services.

Beeb

A couple more myths bite the dust...
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrant workers 'help UK economy'

doesn't surprise me... most migrants are hardworking law abiding conscientious people.... unlike the indigenous population of the uk... who wont get out of bed for minimum wage ....

I think people may be confusing migrants with refugees who are LEGALLY NOT ALLOWED to work and who suffer the humiliating emasculating stigma of living on bemefits whilst they wait for their immigration stautus to be validated.

I live in an area of high immigration and many of my friends who have come to the uk as legitimate economic migrants work the maximum 48 hour week sometimes doing 3-4 jobs to make up the hours.. as they are so often only able to get low paid casual part time work that no one else wants.

viva les immigrante

after all that is EXACTLY what I become on 27th August 2007
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rodders39
Migrant workers have boosted the UK economy, with their influx not having a negative effect on employment or wage levels, the TUC has argued.

Foreign workers made a positive net economic contribution, it said, with their share of tax paid exceeding the cost of supplying public services.

Beeb

A couple more myths bite the dust...
The Polish migrant workforce in the UK continue to make a valuable contribution, this is great news
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
unlike the indigenous population of the uk... who wont get out of bed for minimum wage ....
That's coz the minimum wage is crap and you can get more on benefits!!

Although I like to think that when I was in the UK I was hardworking and conscientious, most of the time. (Hey, I can spell conscientious, my degree must be worth something after all!) A trend which I continue here down under, where fortunately my innate ability to temp is much more rewarding than back in Blighty
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

If people (immigrants) are willing to work for minimum wages in jobs that clearly should command better pay, then there is no incentive or need for employers to offer a decent working wage - thats the problem!
(...waits for backlash!)