Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mexican Swine Flu - Oh No! Will it take the recession off the front page?

Wikiposts

Mexican Swine Flu - Oh No! Will it take the recession off the front page?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexican Swine Flu - Oh No! Will it take the recession off the front page?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They had a WHO research scientist on the late news last night and he said that there was a curious feature of this strain of Flue in that the further away from Mexico it got the less virulent it gets, he used some fancy word for the process but he basically said that there was every chance that it has already peaked in its strength, but they still had to issue warnings and alert levels since it was starting to appear all over the world.
So, am I better off in Aus or UK?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexican Swine Flu - Oh No! Will it take the recession off the front page?

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
OZ deffinately........
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

OZ deffinately........
Well, now you just gave all those peeps who don't know if they are coming or going, something else to worry over
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:23 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Well, now you just gave all those peeps who don't know if they are coming or going, something else to worry over
HA!!!!

I'm not saying that you are any safer in OZ but lets face it, if you are going to die from an incurable influenza pandemic it might as well be in Australia rather than Milton Keynes!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HA!!!!

I'm not saying that you are any safer in OZ but lets face it, if you are going to die from an incurable influenza pandemic it might as well be in Australia rather than Milton Keynes!
Oh yes, far better to die in the sun don't you think, even if you are homeless & jobless & 1000's of miles from all your friends & family?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter. Did you sleep with a pig? Well... was it a mexican pig?

Anyway I've sold all my share in Australian Consolidated Pork, and am shorting on Sausages.

JTL

Thats a little inside tip for all you pork traders out there

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 27th 2009 at 9:28 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Oh yes, far better to die in the sun don't you think, even if you are homeless & jobless & 1000's of miles from all your friends & family?
I find Family overrated anyway.............
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Until bodies are piled high in the streets like in the last epidemic I will be as cautious over this as I was over Avian Flu................

They had a WHO research scientist on the late news last night and he said that there was a curious feature of this strain of Flue in that the further away from Mexico it got the less virulent it gets, he used some fancy word for the process but he basically said that there was every chance that it has already peaked in its strength, but they still had to issue warnings and alert levels since it was starting to appear all over the world.

(for the cut and paste pedants, I am simply repeating what they guy said, I am NOT passing comment, just repeating what he said!)
This explains it http://www.sott.net/articles/show/18...-more-virulent

basically the most virulent virus has so far only been found in Mexico, it is quite possible that a less virulent strain has been passed transnationally. For a dangerous pandemic to occur the virus needs to be both highly contagious and virulent. This also requires a naive population (i.e. people that have not had previous exposure and infection with that type of flu).

At the moment we have the naive population, but it does not seem highly contagious or (except in Mexico) particularly virulent. The worry is that it will further mutate to develop these characteristics, and no one can really predict whether that will happen. Flu mutates readily but we can't predict if it will develop the dangerous characteristics. The bad news is that it seems to be incubating for a while and is being passed amongst healthy people, so the strain will be worldwide before we know what's going on- and checks at the airport won't help.

Oh well, we can't do anything about it, so let's just keep living our lives.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

BE's Mexico forum is wholly devoid of mention of Swine Flu......
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I find Family overrated anyway.............
Much like caviar!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Elementary my dear watson. The last post in that forum was on April 22nd, before the outbreak was publicised....there have been no posts there for 6days now.

They are probably too busy panicking and looting supermarkets to worry about starting a thread on "Best taco restaurant in tijuana".
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's wholly devoid of members!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:00 am
Straw Man.

It's wholly devoid of members!
I am sensing a midnight raid coming on?!?!?!?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Hysteria really hotting up now. Apparently we are now on a catagory 4 (out of 6) pandemic prediction. The truth seems to be that actually, no-one knows what will happen. From the map I saw earlier on there have been no suspected cases in Oz; just Spain, Germany, Israel, New Zealand and the UK including one down in Wiltshire (getting a bit close for comfort for me). The couple in Scotland are recovering well along with their 9 relatives (in isolation in their homes), plus there are now 14 more people under watch who were in contact with them. It really brings it home just how small this planet really is when something like this can travel so rapidly. I think it's a case of crossing your fingers (and washing them regularly!) and running as soon as someone near you sneezes. OH is just about to embark on his annual hayfever onslaught, so any rooms he enters should empty a bit sharpish.

I blame Gordon Brown - the world's gone to ratshit since he 'came to power'!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Hysteria really hotting up now. Apparently we are now on a catagory 4 (out of 6) pandemic prediction. The truth seems to be that actually, no-one knows what will happen. From the map I saw earlier on there have been no suspected cases in Oz; just Spain, Germany, Israel, New Zealand and the UK including one down in Wiltshire (getting a bit close for comfort for me). The couple in Scotland are recovering well along with their 9 relatives (in isolation in their homes), plus there are now 14 more people under watch who were in contact with them. It really brings it home just how small this planet really is when something like this can travel so rapidly. I think it's a case of crossing your fingers (and washing them regularly!) and running as soon as someone near you sneezes. OH is just about to embark on his annual hayfever onslaught, so any rooms he enters should empty a bit sharpish.

I blame Gordon Brown - the world's gone to ratshit since he 'came to power'!
There are suspected cases in Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.