Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Merged threads on violence against Indians in Australia

Merged threads on violence against Indians in Australia

Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Merged threads on violence against Indians in Australia

Hey,

I am living in melbourne and have been back for about 2 months after 12 months away and delighted to be back. Prior to that lived here for 9 years and have seen many waves of immigration from all corners of the globe.

What really was obvious to me this time round after 12 months away is the huge rise in indian people who have come to Australia, in search of probably what everyone else is in serach of

- better way of life
- employment
- education
- something different

The term "indian bashing" was also something new to me, and having been here around the Cronulla riots am aware there have been pockets of unease in community, more so in NSW.

I thought it was quite worrying to see a large number of indians take to the streets and protest, especially when they took the "if you protect us, we will take matters into our own hands".

One guy on the train this morning talking about to his mate (and this prompted me to write something) said, "we have sent nearly all our jobs over there and now they want to come here take whats left, no wonder the locals are sick of it"..

Is that the general sentiment here? or are Indian people just a soft target for bored knuckle heads in the burbs who see them as an easy target for a good hiding cos they are not known for being particularly interested in violence or is it something else altgogether thats prompting these attacks?

Appreciate times have changed, but surely Australia is used to waves of mass migration, why do you think the Indians are getting special treatment here? Whats the difference between Say the indian workers and chinese both tend to stick to their own, infact id say Indians mix more than chinese, although thats a stereotype.

Hope this can be a constructive discussion and not transcend into abuse and get locked
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Indian bashing/Yesterdays demonstration

Originally Posted by Sherro
if you protect us, we will take matters into our own hands.
You mean if you don't protect

we have sent nearly all our jobs over there
This seems bit dodgy to me. I am interested to know how much % of Aussie jobs are being offshored to India? Does anybody has some stats.. I know US is huge on offshoring but always believed that AUS doesn't offshore much. Will love to get enlightened on that

Last edited by mpgrewal; Jun 1st 2009 at 5:04 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry yeah I mean if you dont protect, and in terms of the comment madeon the train, oh absolutely a throwaway comment and i think, he was quoting someone else.

Its a weak argument, but anyway, not really sure if this board is the right place to ask the question, i dont think anyone (myself included) on here woul dhave the answer as to why its a problem.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mpgrewal

This seems bit dodgy to me. I am interested to know how much % of Aussie jobs are being offshored to India? Does anybody has some stats.. I know US is huge on offshoring but always believed that AUS doesn't offshore much. Will love to get enlightened on that
I can only comment about the IT industry and the answer is a lot and more going on a daily basis.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:14 am
ABCDiamond

are Indian people just a soft target for bored knuckle heads in the burbs who see them as an easy target
There was a report the other days, with Sujatha Singh, India’s High Commissioner to Australia, commenting on these things, and one quote was

In the robbery cases, Indian students often became victims because they traveled home late at night, alone, after working to support their studies, Dr Singh said.

Thieves also knew they were unlikely to report incidents to police, he said.

“They are not reporting to police because their experience of police in India is pathetic - they are corrupt, pathetic, not helpful.”

Dr Singh called for a more intensive undercover police effort to capture offenders. He said there also needed to be more education for Indian students on “street smarts”.

“They don’t walk with the confidence we do. You have to merge with the general persona of Australian confidence, you should have a spring of confidence in your step.”

Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

They get attacked because Indians tend to be polite, cultured and quiet. Ideal targets for the neanderthals if there are no old grannies around.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i regularly recruit for 25/5 IT shift work.

i do not get 'anglo' applicants. End of.

i might get 150 applicants and they will all be either from the Sub COntinent or the Far East.

this is for work in SE Melbourne 'burbs...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

There is a fair amount of abuse of TAFE hospitality and hairdressing courses as they are a sure route to PR.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
There is a fair amount of abuse of TAFE hospitality and hairdressing courses as they are a sure route to PR.
Are you saying it is illegal, if so then why isn't the Govt. doing something to stop this abuse? Surely it is not just Indians that take advantage of this easy route to PR?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
They get attacked because Indians tend to be polite, cultured and quiet. Ideal targets for the neanderthals if there are no old grannies around.
Like the one in Cairns?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I work in the industry and absolutely agree. BUT it's not only Indians (I know you didn't say it was, I'm just expanding on your point), and at my college they're far, far from the majority. Other cultures are much worse at this, but tend to be from already established communities (Chinese etc) or cultures that for some reason are more readily accepted (Korean).

There are a fair few poms abusing the system too
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I confess to being perplexed by this as the anecdotal evidence seems striking. A sudden increase in attacks on Indians. We can't know or rely on police reporting and we have to consider that these attacks might be what is now newsworthy - but this has suddenly hit the papers. I took an interest in it, as normally a bit of 'biffo' in a problem suburb would not be that interesting - also I work with these guys.

Hey,

The term "indian bashing" was also something new to me, and having been here around the Cronulla riots am aware there have been pockets of unease in community, more so in NSW.
New to me too - in Australia. The last time I heard about 'Indian bashing' was 'Paki bashing' in the 70s and 80s in the UK.

One guy on the train this morning talking about to his mate (and this prompted me to write something) said, "we have sent nearly all our jobs over there and now they want to come here take whats left, no wonder the locals are sick of it"..
Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
i regularly recruit for 25/5 IT shift work.

i do not get 'anglo' applicants. End of.

i might get 150 applicants and they will all be either from the Sub COntinent or the Far East.

this is for work in SE Melbourne 'burbs...
Like many IT companies, we employed many, many Indians this last 18 months. We are left with one very skilled professional. Many were let go when the recession hit, in a market that is now tougher, and anecdotal recent evidence is that many are now being passed over, quite simply, due to communication skills. It is not enough now for a worker to sit in the corner, a well-rounded professional is required. Only top flight candidates of any race are getting jobs. There is a view that outsourcing is a problem for Australian workers, but also sometimes for Australian companies. (If people want people that will sit in the corner, they will outsource). It works both ways.

Is that the general sentiment here? or are Indian people just a soft target for bored knuckle heads in the burbs who see them as an easy target for a good hiding cos they are not known for being particularly interested in violence or is it something else altgogether thats prompting these attacks?
Possibly a soft target, not a general sentiment - I would hope. The only working issue we had was the communication skills, or with one guy, a bizarre (compared to his peers) passiveness to the point of non-productivity.

Appreciate times have changed, but surely Australia is used to waves of mass migration, why do you think the Indians are getting special treatment here? Whats the difference between Say the indian workers and chinese both tend to stick to their own, infact id say Indians mix more than chinese, although thats a stereotype.
This is why I am perplexed. There is always crime reported in the papers somewhere - like anywhere - some of which is racist, or involving migrants, or in poorer, problem areas.

I think that it's quite possible that Indians are considered soft targets, and walking around at night with gadgets is dodgy - as the Indian commentator says.

Having said that, if bashing of a group works like fashion and Indians are the new look, then it is a worry.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

geraldine2 will become famous soon enough
Default Is Melbourne safe for indian

Hi

Iam think of moving to melbourne forwork with family.

Any advise please

Cheers

Gerald
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Melbourne safe for indian

Originally Posted by geraldine2
Hi

Iam think of moving to melbourne forwork with family.

Any advise please

Cheers

Gerald

Well it has been said i am a "cowboy", and i have been fine when in Oz?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Melbourne safe for indian

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Well it has been said i am a "cowboy", and i have been fine when in Oz?
He's asking about Indian. Cowboys are safe anywhere in the world
If you want to know how many Indians were attacked this year, here are the stats
1447 Indians attacked in Melbourne

Then you can yourself decide how safe is melbourne for an "Indian".

Last edited by mpgrewal; Jun 3rd 2009 at 10:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.