Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are Melbourne winters really all that cold?

Are Melbourne winters really all that cold?

Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Melbourne winters really all that cold?

A few points to remember;

Melbourne city is significantly affected by a heat urban effect and is often the warmest locality in the metro area and sometimes even tops temperatures for the entire state. Outer suburbs of Melbourne are about 1-2C cooler during the day in winter than inner suburbs and much cooler overnight. Frosts are not uncommon in inland suburbs.

Melbourne is right on Port Phillip, the closer to the coast you go the more the effect from the moderating influences of the ocean/bays, e.g. seabreezes often keep temps down in summer but moisture from the ocean often keeps temps milder in winter than further inland.

Elevation is also very important. Where I live is 520 metres above sea level and around 60km inland from Melbourne. Winter here only occasionally sees the temperature exceed 10C and the average max is around 8.5C. We get several days here around 5C and 6C maximum and we do get a day or two with snow recorded in the area. In the Dandenongs and the hilly north east fringes of Melbourne it is similar.

Some places a little bit beyond Melbourne, especially elevated areas can be very cold overnight and in the mornings. There are towns around here that often record as low as -5C overnight and black ice is often an issue on the roads.

All that aside though, the Melbourne area does have relatively mild winters. Melbourne is at the equivalent latitude of places like Seville, Sicily, Northern Iran, southern Turkey and San Francisco. It's a temperate four season climate but nothing like Scotland for instance which is at around 55 degrees latitude.

It does get windy in Melbourne in winter and spring and the wind chill can get pretty bad. It is also frequently cloudy and gloomy in the colder months with just 3.6 hours of sunshine a day in average in July. There is the odd sunny spell as well though.

Most people can tough out winter here, there is no real need for central heating and double glazing. Reverse cycle AC usually works fine in the kind of temps southern VIC gets in winter. Many people, especially in colder areas, also simply use open fireplaces or wood heating units. Not great for carbon emissions and air pollution but quite effective.

In some of the very large homes up on the mountain here they use hydronic heating because it is too persistently cold for simpler methods of heating to be effective. Some people certainly do have central heating though, I'm not sure about double glazing though, perhaps some of the newer houses are starting to incorporate it for energy efficiency reasons? Some houses certainly do have it but it's not a common part of the psyche here to have it.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi mate,

Melbourne winters are cooler than much of Australia. Having said that, it never snows in Melbourne, and where we live near the sea we almost never get frost, although inland areas definitely would. The most protection I ever need to wear from the cold when I'm outside is a fleece, I don't need a puffy jacket, hat or gloves ever like I did in England. Temperatures - in winter it never goes below 3 degrees at night, and normally gets up to between 12 and 17 during the day, the odd day only makes it as high as 10. Winter days are often very sunny too, and it doesn't get dark until 5.15pm at the earliest, which makes a hell of a difference to how you feel.

What people have said about heating or the lack of it is true, however all modern houses come with central heating in various flavours and insulation, it's the older ones that might have no insulation and just one fire in one room!

Winter as described above is really only 3 months long here too.

Hope that helps

BB
It actually snowed in Melbourne in about 1985 or there abouts. I saw it myself.

Winter isnt that bad here... worst part is the shorter days rather than the cold.

I've just installed two Mitsubishi inverter reverse cycle aircons for my heating and cooling needs .... I'll let you know how I go. Got double glazing in the new part of my nearly finished extension. Also got a wood heater in the back room that has the potential to heat the whole house.... especially with all the ceiling fans I've installed.

It's going to be interesting this winter... because the house used to be really cold... even when the space heater worked. Actually looking forwards to seeing how we go. Hopefully should be the warmest and cheapest energy winter in my 24 years in this house. Final stage of my reno will be getting the council's draught fixing service... 500 bucks and they fix everything apparently.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 11th 2012 at 5:23 am.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Green Grass
I'm based in Scotland and we have proper winters.

On this forum, I've read people complaining about temperatures as low as 18C (an average summer temperature here) and often how cold it is in Melbourne in winter. The average temperature in Melbourne is 10 degrees warmer than Scotland throughout every season of the year.

I'm arriving in Melbourne early April and I'm keen to know just how cold it feels there in winter. I understand the average winter temperature is around 13-14 degrees. This isn't particularly cold to me but does it feel colder due to wind chill or is it due to poor or lack of heating systems in some homes? Are expats in Melbourne just used to warmer weather throughout the year and think 13 is cold when in Scotland, it would be an average spring or autumn day?

Cheers

April is my fav month here, i love the weather, great for getting out and about. Its fair to say it does get cold in winter, but i dont miss the many types of rain and wind that came along with the cold in Scotland. However you do acclimatize and I often complain of being cold here and then think how pathetic i am

Some of the houses are bloody freezing, i definitely miss central heating and double glazing, but hey ho such is life.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It actually snowed in Melbourne in about 1985 or there abouts. I saw it myself.

Winter isnt that bad here... worst part is the shorter days rather than the cold.

I've just installed two Mitsubishi inverter reverse cycle aircons for my heating and cooling needs .... I'll let you know how I go. Got double glazing in the new part of my nearly finished extension. Also got a wood heater in the back room that has the potential to heat the whole house.... especially with all the ceiling fans I've installed.

It's going to be interesting this winter... because the house used to be really cold... even when the space heater worked. Actually looking forwards to seeing how we go. Hopefully should be the warmest and cheapest energy winter in my 24 years in this house. Final stage of my reno will be getting the council's draught fixing service... 500 bucks and they fix everything apparently.

I'll come for a sleepover in July
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I'll come for a sleepover in July
Should be having a housewarming around about April
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Melbourne isn't any colder than Brisbane/Sydney at night however it's the days that might max out at 12-14 degrees but the major difference is the WIND.

I'm originally from Brisbane and used to anything down to 0 (particularly if you're in the western suburbs) and I lived in Canada for a few years.... but jesus the wind in Melbourne just pierces what you're wearing and it's freezing!!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We have been back in UK for two winters now (London) and for all my thoughts of feeling cold in Melbourne- winter was not a shadow of the biting cold here.

Ten years in Mellie with no coat...here it was my first purchase of winter along with boots (several pairs) gloves, hat, scarf. When we return in September, the coat will be offloaded happily to the charity shop.

Weather forecasts in Mellie never seem to take wind chill into account, but then it never gets to -2 deg C as it is right now at 11am. BRRRRRR
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
We have been back in UK for two winters now (London) and for all my thoughts of feeling cold in Melbourne- winter was not a shadow of the biting cold here.

We get it...you don't like being back in the UK.

Time you moved isn't it?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling

We get it...you don't like being back in the ......

time you moved isn't it?
Pot kettle black
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Pot kettle black
I don't mind being here

Big fish in a small pond

I just like pointing out the crap in this backward country
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

We get it...you don't like being back in the UK.

Time you moved isn't it?
Huh?

Me saying the winters are cold= I hate the UK?
Strange conclusion.
You obviously have a very narrow perception of life

I do not hate UK- there are lots of bits I like, but for us the balance weighs heavily in favour of Australia. You can dislike traits without hating a place- believe it or not, it is not mandatory to hate everything to want to move.
And we are moving- it just cannot be instantaneous. But thanks for the advice- it really helped.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:47 am
Bitter and twisted

You obviously have a very narrow perception of life
Indeed......It helps to make living here tolerable.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:49 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Pomster;9897687]Huh?

Strange conclusion.

Yes, hes a strange man, but he's a bit like a grandma, embarrassing, but you love them anyway
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:16 am
Bitter and twisted

[QUOTE=Margaret3;9898815]
Huh?

Strange conclusion.

Yes, hes a strange man, but he's a bit like a grandma, embarrassing, but you love them anyway
Perhaps you should read some of that poster's other posts....puts my remarks in context
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:40 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Grayling;9898828]
Originally Posted by Margaret3

Perhaps you should read some of that poster's other posts....puts my remarks in context
naaah, its summit i can never be bothered doing, infact, i dont often read whole threads these days just lost my BE motivation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.