Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Weather and Beaches

Melbourne Weather and Beaches

Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Weather and Beaches

Compared to the UK what is the Melbourne weather like and the beaches particularly the sea temperatures.

Sydney seems to get the most sunshine, warmer temperatures and warmer sea temperatures, compared to Melbourne.

But how does Melbourne compare to the UK. Are the summers and winters sunnier?

And how cold is the water around Melbourne, I have seen stats but what is is like to swim in compared to the Channel or Cornwall
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all
Default Re: Melbourne Weather and Beaches

Originally Posted by abertawe
Compared to the UK what is the Melbourne weather like and the beaches particularly the sea temperatures.

Sydney seems to get the most sunshine, warmer temperatures and warmer sea temperatures, compared to Melbourne.

And how cold is the water around Melbourne, I have seen stats but what is is like to swim in compared to the Channel or Cornwall
Sunnier & warmer.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:30 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is on average about 10C warmer year round. So in the winter it doesn't really get below a daytime high of about 10C, and in the summer the temps are regularly in the mid 30's and can go above 40C.

Sydney is warmer by a couple of degrees but not much. Sydney has on average more rain than Melbourne, but most noticable will be the winter, where Sydney will feel much warmer.

Melbourne's water is bloody cold but is swimmable in the summer. In fact, you get people swimming year round, but I'm just a wimp. The bay if fine for swimming with lots of good beaches, especially down the Nepean highway. You can also go further afield about an hour east or west of Melbourne for excellent beaches such as Torquay to the west.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:31 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
Sunnier & warmer.
Hello Zach, how you doing?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

I know nothing about the Melbourne beaches.

Are the Bay beaches more like the Med, calm and the ocean being the surf beaches?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about the Melbourne beaches.

Are the Bay beaches more like the Med, calm and the ocean being the surf beaches?
Melbourne's beaches around the bay are like Caribbean island beaches, golden or white sand and turquoise seas.

We live in Mordialloc and stroll to the beach many weekends from home - I have constantly had my expectations exceeded by the beaches here.

As for the weather - think South East England plus 10 degrees. So daytime temps in winter often around mid-teens, never much below 10 degrees and often beautiful cloud-free blue skies. Having said that today has been grey and blustery with showers - in my limited experience so far this is unusual.

Buzzy
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is warmer than the UK, Winter days tend to get up to about 14-16 degrees and the Summer days are anywere from about 26-40.

The good thing is that the really hot days don't last forever, mabe 2-3 days before a cool change comes in and it is not as humid as a lot of other places in oz.

Most of the people who moan about the Melbourne weatther have never lived there and have probably visited the place at a bad time.

IMO that it has without doubt the most liveable climate in Australia
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond

Of course it is warmer than the UK, Winter days tend to get up to about 14-16 degrees and the Summer days are anywere from about 26-40.

The good thing is that the really hot days don't last forever, mabe 2-3 days before a cool change comes in and it is not as humid as a lot of other places in oz.

Most of the people who moan about the Melbourne weatther have never lived there and have probably visited the place at a bad time.

IMO that it has without doubt the most liveable climate in Australia
You must admit once the sun goes down during winter it does get cold though!
And some people can complain about the weather as they live in warmer places than Melbourne.
Oh and personally found the beaches in Melbourne very poor compared to NSW!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
And some people can complain about the weather as they live in warmer places than Melbourne.
Oh and personally found the beaches in Melbourne very poor compared to NSW!
Which beaches did you visit?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine levels in summer and winter are they higher than the uk. Not talking temperature here.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:29 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

sunshine levels in summer and winter are they higher than the uk. Not talking temperature here.
Yes...more sunshine...winter, and of course summer.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

melbourne is lot warmer than the uk in summer ,the winter temps in the day are not as cold either ,but overnight temps are quite cold and the houses in general dont have the same insulation specification as the uk houses so it seems as cold as the uk .Hence we have moved to northern nsw for the warmer climate,but we do miss melbourne apart from the cold,a great city
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I agree once the sun goes down in the Winter it is bloody cold. And for that matter even in the Summer it cools down quite a bit, but is that really a bad thing, I don't think so.

I can't think of anything worse than sweating in bed when all you want to do is go to sleep.

John
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:21 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

I agree once the sun goes down in the Winter it is bloody cold. And for that matter even in the Summer it cools down quite a bit, but is that really a bad thing, I don't think so.

I can't think of anything worse than sweating in bed when all you want to do is go to sleep.

John
...and Melbourne/Victoria is a great place to live !
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

John
It feels just as cold in Sydney as there may be no cloud cover just like on the coldest nights in Melbourne.

But I love Sydney winter days that midday sun really makes a difference.

I'd forgotten how humid Sydney feels relatively overnight in summer.

I drove down to Melbourne a few weeks later and I felt ''cold'' sitting outside of an evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.