Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

Old Apr 20th 2006, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Hereandnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

Hi all, Feeling a bit down and fed up today and I'm sure its because of this bloody awful Melbourne weather. Been here 6 months and the thoughts of the winter to come reminds me of how I used to feel at the start of the UK winter. Just how bad does it get? I am dreading it. Roll on September!!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Hereandnow
Hi all, Feeling a bit down and fed up today and I'm sure its because of this bloody awful Melbourne weather. Been here 6 months and the thoughts of the winter to come reminds me of how I used to feel at the start of the UK winter. Just how bad does it get? I am dreading it. Roll on September!!!
To live in such a wonderful city there has to be a small price to pay. Winter hasn't come yet this is still Autumn
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is famous for 4 seasons in one day...and winter is no exception.

It is definitely not as dark, wet and bitingly cold as UK. Even the ski season just about lasts July- mid Sept, as the warmer weather kicks in.

Or if it really gets too much- do what the locals do- book a holiday for Queensland in August!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Melbourne is famous for 4 seasons in one day...and winter is no exception.

It is definitely not as dark, wet and bitingly cold as UK. Even the ski season just about lasts July- mid Sept, as the warmer weather kicks in.

Or if it really gets too much- do what the locals do- book a holiday for Queensland in August!
Errr. 'Winter' seems to have come a bit early this year. I remember sun all last April and May. Nice today though. Can't say I've ever seen Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn on one day though.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Errr. 'Winter' seems to have come a bit early this year. I remember sun all last April and May. Nice today though. Can't say I've ever seen Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn on one day though.
but it was 22deg this morning. At the mo, we are experiencing spring (that's when all the rain fall occurs). Just waiting for a blast of 30 plus degrees to round the day off.....
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It felt really wintery yesterday at 23 degrees C although there was probably a high wind-chill.

I can't believe that it's been raining about 5 or 6 days in the last 2 weeks compared with almost nothing for the last 6 months and someone's already complaining. Reminds me of home (the old one that is).

Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes last autumn was beautiful! This ones not been so bad though... we had 30 degrees for the games afew weeks ago! We've had a few cold mornings and cloudly days recently though rather than the blue, blue skies. I think the weather here is fantastic - I like the fact that we have 4 seasons. The only time I've moaned about the weather is when it was 42 degrees!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:40 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the weather wasnt very good. The wind was the worst thing.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
I was there a couple of weeks ago and the weather wasnt very good. The wind was the worst thing.
Whereabouts were you? We haven't had too much wind up here - I think its worse down by the bay (another good reason not to live there!!)
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pomster
No, they just wait until it's over.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Hereandnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pootle
Whereabouts were you? We haven't had too much wind up here - I think its worse down by the bay (another good reason not to live there!!)
Thats where we are, the past 24 hours has been awful down here, windy as hell. Reminds me of cornwall in Winter, very bleak. On the other hand its lovely when the sun is shining, summer was fantastic. I hate the fact I sound like a whinging pom but this weather.......no thanks!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:06 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats where we are, the past 24 hours has been awful down here, windy as hell. Reminds me of cornwall in Winter, very bleak. On the other hand its lovely when the sun is shining, summer was fantastic. I hate the fact I sound like a whinging pom but this weather.......no thanks!!
I'm sure you didn't come emigrate for the weather - I agree, it isn't good at the moment, but it never lasts long. I've been here for 16 months, and so have seen all the seasons, autumn was gorgeous last year....in fact this is more like early spring weather.
Melbourne is a fabulous city to live in - in my opinion, better than others I've been to (Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane) and Victoria has some wonderful country and towns...many I've been to.

Think if you remember properly, Cornwall was was a 'bit' worse in winter !!!

Last edited by carolinegorka; Apr 20th 2006 at 9:11 am.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:08 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm down by the bay as well and its horrendous. The winds have been really picking up this last week - you know its bad when the beach is blowing across the road.
Do have to say that it wasn't this bad last year so hopfully it will blow itself out soon and we can get back to the proper weather

I'd love to get away to the sun in QLD - anyone buy me a ticket?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne weather!!!!!!!

On a related subject, a website I saw recently seemed to indicate that the sea temperature in Port Philip Bay meant you could not really swim in the sea, just paddle. Is this true in your personal experiences?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:16 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
On a related subject, a website I saw recently seemed to indicate that the sea temperature in Port Philip Bay meant you could not really swim in the sea, just paddle. Is this true in your personal experiences?

Thanks

Buzzy
I've swam at Aspendale and Elwood during the summer...fine, there are lovely warm currents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.