Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane best for kids?

Melbourne or Brisbane best for kids?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of
Default Melbourne or Brisbane best for kids?

Hello

My family and I are currently weighing up which City to pingpong back to.

I'm 50 / 50 at the moment, I can see so many positives to both.

The OH isn't convinced about Brisbane, thinks it's a tad sleepy and too humid!

Where would you say is the best place to bring up kids?

Thanks in advance for your help!

lol Lucy
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:11 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane best for kids?

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello

My family and I are currently weighing up which City to pingpong back to.

I'm 50 / 50 at the moment, I can see so many positives to both.

The OH isn't convinced about Brisbane, thinks it's a tad sleepy and too humid!

Where would you say is the best place to bring up kids?

Thanks in advance for your help!

lol Lucy
Brisbane for me.

The sleepiness gives it its feeling of safety, slow and relaxed.

Melbourne is too busy, weather unpredictable.

Still you will have to work out whats best for you.

My kids love Brisbane, playing in the garden everyday, mostly.

Swimming in the pool for 6 months a year, enjoying the beaches and the sea often.

Its a very energising place if you like the outdoors, in the UK my kids spent hours on the computer indoors, now they hardly use them, spending most of their time outdoors living healthy by exercising.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Brisbane best for kids?

I think kids would be happy in either place if the parents are happy.

Have a look at this old thread for lots of information from people on how life in Australia has improved for their kids, or not -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535

Buzzy
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:13 pm
ABCDiamond

There may be areas in both Melbourne and Brisbane that are good, but also areas that aren't.

If you live in either City centre, my guess would be that neither would be that good. But that may be my opinion of Cities.

Round my area, kids walk to school on their own in year 2.
My daughter feels safe walking in the local area at night, many feel able to do that, although I still worry, but then I still don't let her walk to school !!

However we compare to her cousins in LA and Birmingham, and feel that we are in a good area in that regard.

Outer Melbourne probably has some similar areas..

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Has to be Brisbane. I live in Brisbane and I'm known for making exceptionally good decisions.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:14 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true.
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think kids would be happy in either place if the parents are happy.

Have a look at this old thread for lots of information from people on how life in Australia has improved for their kids, or not -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535

Buzzy
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Surf or a walk on beach?
BBQ with friends or Restaurant on your own?
Shirt or bare chest?
Shoes or Thongs?
Taxi or public transport?
Sunnies or Umbrella?
Relaxed beach babe or a stressed out secretary?
Dog or cat?
Pink or Brown?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:33 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Pink or Brown?
Depends on the missus
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Has to be Brisbane. I live in Brisbane and I'm known for making exceptionally good decisions.
Like that time you bought shares in DeLorean?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Like that time you bought shares in DeLorean?
. . . and the whole internet dating thing which left me more than a little out of pocket . . . TingTong seemed such a lovely lady <sigh>
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzTrK_Vc8A

Melbourne, Brisbane, its all good.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . and the whole internet dating thing which left me more than a little out of pocket . . . TingTong seemed such a lovely lady <sigh>
The hairy knuckles and prominent adam's apple must've been a giveaway though?