Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne ambulance cover...

Melbourne ambulance cover...

Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:54 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne ambulance cover...

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Considering a move to a civilized part of the country?
noooooooo

I like backward hillbilly Qld
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itigo
For VIC ambo cover for our family 2x2 this year we paid $75. This includes everything.

If you do it via extras on Medibank there are a few exceptions that I would rather have covered.

One is that if you are in one hospital via ambulance but need to go to another for treatment eg. Geelong to Melbourne, they don't cover it. Also they require pre-approval for the air ambulance. Can you imagine?!! "Excuse me, but you can't have the air ambulance JUST yet....."
VIC ambulance also do home transfers after you've been discharged should you need it, Medibank don't.

Having used it twice in our first year in Australia, I'm not going to stop paying $75 a year for total peace of mind!
eeek i didnt know that
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:07 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

For VIC ambo cover for our family 2x2 this year we paid $75. This includes everything.

If you do it via extras on Medibank there are a few exceptions that I would rather have covered.

One is that if you are in one hospital via ambulance but need to go to another for treatment eg. Geelong to Melbourne, they don't cover it. Also they require pre-approval for the air ambulance. Can you imagine?!! "Excuse me, but you can't have the air ambulance JUST yet....."
VIC ambulance also do home transfers after you've been discharged should you need it, Medibank don't.

Having used it twice in our first year in Australia, I'm not going to stop paying $75 a year for total peace of mind!
We didn't have cover at the time of this incident but have taken it out since.
Just before Christmas my wife drove our son to the emergency dept where she works.He had to be transferred to the Royal Children's and we weren't charged .I think if the decision to transfer is made by the hospital you don't pay.Get this.He was a priority transfer(heart rate in and out at 205) still had to wait over 3 hours for ambulance because the paramedic wasn't feeling well and had to be taken home.The system is most definitely under pressure.

Last edited by ukecadet; Jan 30th 2012 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
We didn't have cover at the time of this incident but have taken it out since.
Just before Christmas my wife drove our son to the emergency dept where she works.He had to be transferred to the Royal Children's and we weren't charged .I think if the decision to transfer is made by the hospital you don't pay.Get this.He was a priority transfer(heart rate in and out at 205) still had to wait over 3 hours for ambulance because the paramedic wasn't feeling well and had to be taken home.The system is most definitely under pressure.
Hope your son is ok now. It does say that the admitting hospital may agree to pay the cost.....
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
eeek i didnt know that
Here's the link to the Medibank bit.......

http://www.medibank.com.au/healthcov...bulance-cover/
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:36 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope your son is ok now. It does say that the admitting hospital may agree to pay the cost.....
He's been fine so far thanks.He had Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).Could be a one off or may happen again.