Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mechanics - how to shift a stuck strut nut?

Mechanics - how to shift a stuck strut nut?

Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mechanics - how to shift a stuck strut nut?

I'm a noob when it comes to mechanics, but am getting my confidence up. I've done an engine mount, and now have front suspension struts to do. I can get the strut off and compress the spring, but just cannot shift the nut at the top of the strut. The strut just spins underneath. I only have basic hand tools.

I've tried:
- WD40 ... swearing at it ...
- a vise grip alone ... anti-slip mat under the vise grip ... duct tape under the vise grip ...
- all that, plus a pipe wrench ...
- WD40, left overnight, then all the above
- more swearing

'A bloke' outside supercheap auto suggested 'just cut it off!' but I'm very reluctant to do that. At the moment, I can at least put the old strut back on and carry on driving.

Do I need to buy an impact driver? What if the nut still doesn't loosen? I don't have much of a budget. Will this do for occasional use? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173408712589

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers 🛠
Old Jul 8th 2021, 2:57 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanics - how to shift a stuck strut nut?

Try a nut splitter like one of these ....https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds .

Or, if you need more lever moment, you can link an open ended and ring spanner together to extend the lever arm. Video here -

Or, if you know anyone with an oxy acetylene rig, heat the nut up. The difference in expansion between the nut and the strut thread maybe enough to work it lose with a spanner.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanics - how to shift a stuck strut nut?

Thanks for the suggestions

Job done after investing in an impact driver from SCA. Unfortunately in the process I overtightened my wheel nuts with it and have buggered two of them ... but at least the wheel isn't going to come off 😂 . I need to get the tracking done anyway so hopefully the garage will free my nuts for me...