Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Master's degree by Coursework or by Research ... Job Hunting Prospect?

Master's degree by Coursework or by Research ... Job Hunting Prospect?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Default Master's degree by Coursework or by Research ... Job Hunting Prospect?

Hi everyone,

As you may know, there are 2 different way of getting Master's degree. Master's by coursework and Master's by research.

I would like to know if one has a better chance of finding job if he/she study a Master's degree by Coursework ?

Thank you very much.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:01 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Master's degree by Coursework or by Research ... Job Hunting Prospect?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Hi everyone,

As you may know, there are 2 different way of getting Master's degree. Master's by coursework and Master's by research.

I would like to know if one has a better chance of finding job if he/she study a Master's degree by Coursework ?

Thank you very much.

Essentially you are asking if a Master's degree has better currency if it is attained through coursework as opposed to research - and the answer is it is irrelevant whether your Masters is achieved through coursework or research.

There are so many variables that come into successfuly finding a job and qualifications is just one of them.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Master's degree by Coursework or by Research ... Job Hunting Prospect?

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter

There are so many variables that come into successfuly finding a job and qualifications is just one of them.

And what are these variables?

By the way, may I ask if you live in Australia and also if you have a tertiary qualification?

Last edited by BARDI77; Nov 23rd 2009 at 1:32 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:14 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much.
My Masters was some coursework, lots of exams, and a 3 month placement.....

Dont see what difference it makes myself. Most employers I talk to now just want to know that I have a degree and that I have relevant recent experience.

As for my first job after university, I just stuck the details of what I had studied on my CV, plus some lies which got me an interview which became a days trial, which turned in to a 4 week contract and then on to a permanent job.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Years of experience, Australian experience, specific experience, an ability to read and write English fluently, licenses to work in your specific field (if necessary), who you know, how well your CV is written, your references, who your references are, what your references say about you, what your references don't say about you, what colour shirt you wear to the interview, whether the interview panel gets the right "feeling" about you, plus others, but I think you get the picture.
By the way, may I ask if you live in Australia and also if you have a tertiary qualification?
Yes and yes. Although not working in my field since my qualifications are not recognised in Australia and I'm not interested in going to university to get them recognised.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've always thought that the bonus of doing a Master's by research is it shows that somebody has lab skills

Last edited by Deutschmaster; Nov 23rd 2009 at 4:31 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:53 am

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Essentially organisations look for three things when recruiting:
  1. can you do the job, and if not will you respond to training?
  2. will you fit in? ie the cultural fit
  3. what added value will you bring to the organisation or the job?

Yes I live in Australia; and yes - I have three tertiary qualifications
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I've always thought that the bonus of doing a Master's by research is it shows that somebody has lab skills
You can do a Master's by research outside the lab!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldnt think it would make a difference. What would make a difference - especially if you were heading further in academia - would be the institution which awarded the degree I suspect. So a Masters from Cambridge or ANU would be better regarded than one from a less prestigious institution (not naming any names for fear of offending). However, I suspect that if you were not aiming for academia but for private enterprise then your capacity to do the job and to write a good application would be the most critical factors - also perhaps the content of the Masters if it related to something particular which was relevant to the position being applied for.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank y'all