Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mary Whitehouse of Australia....

Mary Whitehouse of Australia....

Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:18 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mary Whitehouse of Australia....

I used to listen to Mary Whitehouse whittering on about the degradation of society due to seeing inappropriate things on TV. Tonight I was watching a UK TV programme called "Balls of Steel" - shown here in Aus.

Parts of the programme showed

1. unassuming general public sitting outside say in a pub or outside a cafe, and having food such as KFC and burgers thrown at them by someone driving past in a car
2. Someone throwing darts at a chaps arse
3. Someone using a pool Q and aiming pool balls at someones head
4. Someone smashing a bottle against their head and proudly being shown a massive cut that it caused
5. A couple called "the F*uckers" who make love in public

Now I'm no prude - not by a loooong chalk - but is this really funny

I can't believe the British SOH has changed to such a degree this is funny. It's like a variation of "Happy slapping" being shown on TV

Is it me or is this funny

Now it's been shown over here, I wouldn't be surprised if some twerps try copying
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mary Whitehouse of Australia....

No it's not funny it's a version of shock TV. You can blame Jackass TV for it.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:28 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
No it's not funny it's a version of shock TV. You can blame Jackass TV for it.
Did you see it? It was so bloody awful I was cringing. If that is UK TV then I think it's an insult to the general public

I can't believe anyone doesn't see how agressive it is.

I felt so sorry for those innocent people who's clothes were damaged, not to say their pride. They had greasy food thrown at them and it clearly upset them. How can that be funny

What does it teach those who think moronic behaviour is OK
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I didn't see the episode you have mentioned but I did see one before. I can't see the humour in causing pain or humiliation.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it last week for the first time & wondered the same things. Society has changed to allow the yob culture to look normal
The couple & the estate agent was class though
Cringe factor T.V the U.K version of Jackass
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I didn't see the episode you have mentioned but I did see one before. I can't see the humour in causing pain or humiliation.
I'm not saying Aus is perfect by a long chalk, but this aggression is definitely something I noticed more in UK.

Give me barefoot shopping in jimjams over this shite - anyday
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57
I watched it last week for the first time & wondered the same things. Society has changed to allow the yob culture to look normal
The couple & the estate agent was class though
Cringe factor T.V the U.K version of Jackass
You're not kidding when you say it's cringe factor TV. I thought this was the first programme, didn't realise it's been on before

Jackass was for stupid teenagers who think it's funny. My kids for example

WTF are people thinking when this crap becomes mainstream TV
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen that one but what is the UK program where they tempt people to commit crime?

There was the one where they leave the truck door ajar and the crim climbs in to nick the DVD player or whatever and the door slams shut, the sides fall away and the crim is in a cage with a big sign saying "I'm a thief" then they drive around for a bit. I thought that was pretty funny.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:42 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Not seen that one but what is the UK program where they tempt people to commit crime?

There was the one where they leave the truck door ajar and the crim climbs in to nick the DVD player or whatever and the door slams shut, the sides fall away and the crim is in a cage with a big sign saying "I'm a thief" then they drive around for a bit. I thought that was pretty funny.
I like the sound of that!

As for the Balls of Steel TV show - a very bad take on Jackass. At least in Jackass they just do daft stuff to themselves (OK and their immediate family ).
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I used to listen to Mary Whitehouse whittering on about the degradation of society due to seeing inappropriate things on TV. Tonight I was watching a UK TV programme called "Balls of Steel" - shown here in Aus.

Parts of the programme showed

1. unassuming general public sitting outside say in a pub or outside a cafe, and having food such as KFC and burgers thrown at them by someone driving past in a car
2. Someone throwing darts at a chaps arse
3. Someone using a pool Q and aiming pool balls at someones head
4. Someone smashing a bottle against their head and proudly being shown a massive cut that it caused
5. A couple called "the F*uckers" who make love in public

Now I'm no prude - not by a loooong chalk - but is this really funny

I can't believe the British SOH has changed to such a degree this is funny. It's like a variation of "Happy slapping" being shown on TV

Is it me or is this funny

Now it's been shown over here, I wouldn't be surprised if some twerps try copying
It's been on for a few weeks now. In true Aussie TV style last night's episode was the start of the new season, the week after the season finale!

I agree with all you say, except I think the F****ers are harmless, and there are a few other sketches which don' t involve yobbish behaviour and are very funny. The sketch with the bottle over the head was just bang out of order though, absolutely moronic.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:25 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

From Balls of Steel. Is it funny? What do you think?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:28 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

SWAG (It was a product of Guy Ritchie's mind).

Personally, I think that "Black Militant Guy" from "Balls of Steel" is absolutely brilliant.

However, I prefer Fonejacker.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jun 18th 2008 at 5:29 am. Reason: apostrophe
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
SWAG (It was a product of Guy Ritchie's mind).

Personally, I think that "Black Militant Guy" from "Balls of Steel" is absolutely brilliant.

However, I prefer Fonejacker.
I think Balls of Steel is great. The Black Panther dude is hilarious.