Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:00 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are many Ozzies veggie?

Originally Posted by Glenat
What's Wagyu beef

Well I am off to Perth Clippies, so it may be a problem.

I'm not mad keen on fish/shellfish either, unlike my OH who LOVES it.

Oh well, I'll have to tell him he's right then, that I may find it a struggle. Normally if I go to a BBQ the meat gets segregated and chicken stays on one half and other meat on the other half, but I can hardly ask people to do it at their own BBQ.

And no Quorn oooooohhhhhh
I don't really eat so much fish here, I'm not so keen - but in Oz the taste was so different and they really know how to cook their fish! I couldn't get enough of it

To be honest, I was only there two weeks so maybe if you look a bit harder you'll find stuff
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:05 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

What's Wagyu beef

Well I am off to Perth Clippies, so it may be a problem.

I'm not mad keen on fish/shellfish either, unlike my OH who LOVES it.

Oh well, I'll have to tell him he's right then, that I may find it a struggle. Normally if I go to a BBQ the meat gets segregated and chicken stays on one half and other meat on the other half, but I can hardly ask people to do it at their own BBQ.

And no Quorn oooooohhhhhh
Hi most barbies are bring a plate, so the host doesnt have to fork out for all the guests. so you can just take your own food with you. but if you've read the link iwannabethere's post there are plenty of alternatives.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:08 pm
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DebraH
what about Tofu - can you get that out there, I'm not a veggie as a rule, but do enjoy cooking and eating veggie meals from time to time and I am hoping to eat a whole lot more fish and seafood once we are in oz.

Can't really help, but suggest maybe getting yourself a really good veggi cook book - unless you have one already or do a search online - i've just done that and theres 1000s of recipes for different veggie things along with BBQ ideas - to be honest I'm hoping to do a lot more cooking in oz too and trying to get my very picky family to eat the same thing at dinner rather than making 2 or 3 different dinners
Thanks Debra, but have you seen my cooking? Hubby does the cooking and I do the eating. I doubt if he'll cook Tofu, and I've never tried it either. Suppose I'll have to learn to cook then
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:09 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

You can most certainly buy tofu and soy products. In fact, you can generally get a better range of tofu products in Oz than you can in the UK.

You can't yet get Quorn in Oz as far as I know, but I am sure it won't be long before it hits the shelves or an internet site somewhere.

For a good site about being vege / vegan etc in oz, try the Veggie Association. As well as an extensive product list, they also have forums and discussion board where you can ask questions and get answers a bit like here.

PS - Waygo is a breed of cattle... yummy!! (Sorry, no offence to veges and vegans intended! )
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:13 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
NO you can get Wagyu beef in oz! oh heaven!
Tell me about it
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
Tell me about it

Its probably the least sensitive place to talk about it!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
You can most certainly buy tofu and soy products. In fact, you can generally get a better range of tofu products in Oz than you can in the UK.
Totally agree. Not just supermarkets but cafes and restaurants too. You'd be hard-pushed to find tofu in a sandwich bar or restaurant in UK but no probs finding it in Oz (well, can only really comment for Melbourne!).

Falafel is aplenty too in shops and cafes (again, in Melbourne - can't speak for rest of Oz) - obviously due to high Middle-East/Turkish population).
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Totally agree. Not just supermarkets but cafes and restaurants too. You'd be hard-pushed to find tofu in a sandwich bar or restaurant in UK but no probs finding it in Oz (well, can only really comment for Melbourne!).

Falafel is aplenty too in shops and cafes (again, in Melbourne - can't speak for rest of Oz) - obviously due to high Middle-East/Turkish population).
True you can find vegetarian foods in Australia, but just watch out for the hidden animal slaughter by products. A lot of places fry chips in tallow (lard) which is also in a lot of biscuits and doughnuts and gelatine is in most yogurts/ice creams.

The sanitarium soya burgers/sausages/luncheon meat are ok, no quorn though as it doesnt get past strict Aussie quarantine rules, due to it being a fungus.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:49 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

My husband keeps telling me I will not get on in Oz as I only eat chicken (yes I know this is meat too).

He says everyone eats meat and especially steak (although I've heard Ozzie steak is the best). And I am being awkward by not wanting to eat it.

How do people get on at BBQs if they don't eat meat?
Plenty of my mates are Vegans and they get on okay over here

Some cant stand the sight of flesh on a BBQ, but you will find their are plenty of other items that are put on without the need for "Meat".

Do you eat fish?
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:14 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

My husband keeps telling me I will not get on in Oz as I only eat chicken (yes I know this is meat too).

He says everyone eats meat and especially steak (although I've heard Ozzie steak is the best). And I am being awkward by not wanting to eat it.

If you eat chicken you will be fine. As Eatstatic said, you'll get on even better if you don't mind animal by-products as they are in nearly everything here.

It is very very hard to be truly vegetarian here as the Brisbane (can't speak for other places ) definition of vegetarian is "no lumps of meat". We find it very difficult to eat out here, and I can't cook a lot of the meals I used to because I can't find the vegetarian ingredients. And you have to check ingredients everytime you shop because they change them without warning. There is no vegetarian labelling of foods here, and like I say, even if there was, it would just mean no lumps of meat in it, not "no dead animal".

Jane
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:29 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eatstatic
True you can find vegetarian foods in Australia, but just watch out for the hidden animal slaughter by products. A lot of places fry chips in tallow (lard) which is also in a lot of biscuits and doughnuts and gelatine is in most yogurts/ice creams.

The sanitarium soya burgers/sausages/luncheon meat are ok, no quorn though as it doesnt get past strict Aussie quarantine rules, due to it being a fungus.
That may have been local to where you were. All the chippies I've been to around here use canola oil.

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 1:42 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Just have chicken then....
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

I don't think there are many vegetarians in Oz because almost food does not have the SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS symbol.
I am a vegetarian and it's a nightmare going shopping. 99% of the cheese here contains animal rennet and the crisp contain real meat. I have only food one yogurt that does not contain gelatine.
I have been told too that they add chicken salt to the chips that you buy from take aways.
Having said that most fruit and veg taste so much nicer here and they do tofu and vegetarian burgers and sausages in coles and Woollies so it's not all bad.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:57 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canaveral
I don't think there are many vegetarians in Oz because almost food does not have the SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS symbol.
I am a vegetarian and it's a nightmare going shopping. 99% of the cheese here contains animal rennet and the crisp contain real meat. I have only food one yogurt that does not contain gelatine.
I have been told too that they add chicken salt to the chips that you buy from take aways.
Having said that most fruit and veg taste so much nicer here and they do tofu and vegetarian burgers and sausages in coles and Woollies so it's not all bad.
chicken salt contains no chicken
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ransi
chicken salt contains no chicken

LOL! Contains 'natural chicken extract'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.