Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Are many Ozzies veggie?

My husband keeps telling me I will not get on in Oz as I only eat chicken (yes I know this is meat too).

He says everyone eats meat and especially steak (although I've heard Ozzie steak is the best). And I am being awkward by not wanting to eat it.

How do people get on at BBQs if they don't eat meat?
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are many Ozzies veggie?

Originally Posted by Glenat
My husband keeps telling me I will not get on in Oz as I only eat chicken (yes I know this is meat too).

He says everyone eats meat and especially steak (although I've heard Ozzie steak is the best). And I am being awkward by not wanting to eat it.

Fish/shellfish - do you eat that?

if not then it's good old veggie kebabs and i'm not sure if they sell the quorn products like they do here in the UK
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:30 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat meat but I do eat fish - when I was on hol in Oz every meal I ate was fish! I didn't see any veggie burgers or things like that so I had fish on the bbq. The fish is soooooo delicious there though that I was well happy

If you don't eat fish or meat though I'd say you'd be buggered!

I only went to Perth though so may be different elsewhere
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
I don't eat meat but I do eat fish - when I was on hol in Oz every meal I ate was fish! I didn't see any veggie burgers or things like that so I had fish on the bbq. The fish is soooooo delicious there though that I was well happy

If you don't eat fish or meat though I'd say you'd be buggered!

I only went to Perth though so may be different elsewhere
and I suppose you could always make your own veggie burgers if you had time
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:33 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
and I suppose you could always make your own veggie burgers if you had time
Hmmm I've never made my own...don't really eat them often enough to - I didn't see veggie mince or anything though so I'm guessing you'd have to make them with vegetables
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:35 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Quite well, actually! You can buy plenty of veggie burgers, kebabs etc to take to a bbq if you want, and there is always loads of salads going! Loads of Aussies are veggie / vegan / semi-veggie.

(Off to drool and dream of being back in Brisbane, having a steak at the Brekkie Creek hotel...)

Last edited by ridds; Aug 22nd 2006 at 1:43 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clippies
Hmmm I've never made my own...don't really eat them often enough to - I didn't see veggie mince or anything though so I'm guessing you'd have to make them with vegetables
yes - the ones i had a go at making were binded with potato, but i've seen them with rice and veg - but not sure how they will barbie as i cooked mine in the oven
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

cheese on the barbie is delicious...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emmals
cheese on the barbie is delicious...
yes we've done that with Halloumi (Greek cheese)
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

I had no probs out there. Coles sell frozen, refrigerated, tinned and dried veggie food. You won't get Quorn though. Doesn't pass the Aussie import rules. :scared:

Try this link for more veggie options available
http://www.vnv.org.au/Products/MeatAlternatives.htm
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
Quite well, actually! You can buy plenty of veggie burgers, kebabs etc to take to a bbq if you want, and there is always loads of salads going! Loads of Aussies are veggie / vegan / semi-veggie.

I love aussie beef, Wagyu being my current favourite.

(Off to drool and dream of being back in Brisbane, having a steak at the Brekkie Creek hotel...)

NO you can get Wagyu beef in oz! oh heaven!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:45 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Just googled and you can buy veggie burgers, sausages etc pre-prepared... here's a list of products.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:47 pm
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
NO you can get Wagyu beef in oz! oh heaven!
What's Wagyu beef

Well I am off to Perth Clippies, so it may be a problem.

I'm not mad keen on fish/shellfish either, unlike my OH who LOVES it.

Oh well, I'll have to tell him he's right then, that I may find it a struggle. Normally if I go to a BBQ the meat gets segregated and chicken stays on one half and other meat on the other half, but I can hardly ask people to do it at their own BBQ.

And no Quorn oooooohhhhhh
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:50 pm
Juicer Member

Originally Posted by ridds
Just googled and you can buy veggie burgers, sausages etc pre-prepared... here's a list of products.
Ooooh, thanks. Good list. Like the look of cheatin' pepperoni. Might be nice on pizzas. My OH wouldn't eat any of it though. He'd say it was all pretend food
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

What's Wagyu beef

Well I am off to Perth Clippies, so it may be a problem.

I'm not mad keen on fish/shellfish either, unlike my OH who LOVES it.

Oh well, I'll have to tell him he's right then, that I may find it a struggle. Normally if I go to a BBQ the meat gets segregated and chicken stays on one half and other meat on the other half, but I can hardly ask people to do it at their own BBQ.

And no Quorn oooooohhhhhh
what about Tofu - can you get that out there, I'm not a veggie as a rule, but do enjoy cooking and eating veggie meals from time to time and I am hoping to eat a whole lot more fish and seafood once we are in oz.

Can't really help, but suggest maybe getting yourself a really good veggi cook book - unless you have one already or do a search online - i've just done that and theres 1000s of recipes for different veggie things along with BBQ ideas - to be honest I'm hoping to do a lot more cooking in oz too and trying to get my very picky family to eat the same thing at dinner rather than making 2 or 3 different dinners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.