Wikiposts

Manners!

Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:16 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Manners!

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I agree. But that's not how I was brought up and certainly not how my kids are being raised. What's the old saying; "manners maketh the man".

Politeness and courtesy costs nothing does it eh?
yes that's right, and it has no bearing on which country you are raised in as to whether you are well mannered
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:17 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby the other day, got told to "learn how to F****** drive you pommie ba*****" by some very charming Aussie woman driving like a thoughtless idiot!

Charming!
It is charming isnt it how people often turn to nationistic slander They are a small minority its just they stand out

Hope you run into the majority of easy going (travelled) aussies - but most likely you will meet these out of the car.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
It is charming isnt it how people often turn to nationistic slander They are a small minority its just they stand out

Hope you run into the majority of easy going (travelled) aussies - but most likely you will meet these out of the car.

I'll be honest here, I've not met many 'travelled Aussies'. Perhaps it's because I'm over here in the West and the Aussies here reckon it's the best place to live in the world. Not bad really since they've not seen anywhere else in the world!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:23 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they look at you and decide whether you have the money or not. A friend of mine managed to buy 3 properties whilst here on a business visa (they didn't realise that you needed approval!) and I think that the agents assumed that he was allowed to based on his job and demeanor.

However, I don't think that this is limited to Australia, it certainly happens in the UK but I think they would probably be much more aware of someones skin colour before saying something
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:26 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Only the other day there was a heavily pregnant woman standing at the side of the road with a little kid waiting to cross, no bugger stopped so I did.
Did she thank me, of course not she didn't even acknowledge me.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:07 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

this is a huge issue with me

no pleases and no thankyous, heres an example

i was checking out of the big 4 camp site in sydney on friday, handed over my swipe card for my deposit refund, the lady behind the desk requested the key, "i didnt have a key" i told her, she said hang on i will check. Out comes another lady "no deff a key you will have to find it before we give you your deposit back" i politely tell her i have no key, the swipe card was the only thing i had, she then gets all arsey and says , and i quote "look, this card does not get in your door, you need a key to open you door, go get the key"!!! to which i reply, "you go get in my car and i will drive you to the cabin, there is no key hole"............. she tells me i am wrong to which i say well you check the cabin cause i aint going no where without my deposit, to which she shruggs her shoulders!.............
the original assistant then says are you sure you werent given a key to cabin one, "what? i say i was in cabin 56, not one"!!! arrrrrr they say, no key for cabin 56!!!!!!!

they then carry on in silence, i was bloody fuming, there was load of people behind me, i said, are you not going to say sorry, they say we have nothing to apoligise for????????

just ignorant and down right rude, i dont want my children learning this and im ashamed to say they are! customer service is pants
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Manners!

I'll be honest here, I've not met many 'travelled Aussies'.
Perhaps if you travelled more, you'd meet some.

On average, 27% of Australians travel overseas every year, while 38% travel interstate for their holidays.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

On average, 27% of Australians travel overseas every year, while 38% travel interstate for their holidays.

I can google as well...

'Overseas travel by Australian residents increased by more than 16,100 trips or 5% in the month of November 2006. "Holiday" and "VFR" travel increased by 6% in the month under review, with departures for "business" reasons up 1%. In total, Australian overseas travel was recorded at 4.9 million in the year ended November 2006'

That's 4.9 million departures.. not sure how that equates to 27% of Australians... and given the nature of the Australian population I would wager that a large percentage of those people travelling overseas would be people travelling to their birthplace. As for travelling Interstate.... what the Hell does that prove?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 21st 2007 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Erm, if you'd put your hackles down and read my post again, you'll see I was talking about the Aussies in W.A.

I know a lot of Aussies who have never stepped foot out of this place. They spend their vacations down in Albany and think they've had a culture change!
When I've asked why haven't they travelled to Europe/USA etc, they usually answer with either "What for, I have everything here" or "can't bloody afford it mate!"

You are a travelled Aussie...a rare breed. You will be able to enlighten your peers when you eventually get back won't you? But alas, after spending so much of your time in the West Mids, the reports, I'm sure, will not be a glowing repartee of delightful anecdotes of quaint English customs and characteristics!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:46 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
this is a huge issue with me

no pleases and no thankyous, heres an example

i was checking out of the big 4 camp site in sydney on friday, handed over my swipe card for my deposit refund, the lady behind the desk requested the key, "i didnt have a key" i told her, she said hang on i will check. Out comes another lady "no deff a key you will have to find it before we give you your deposit back" i politely tell her i have no key, the swipe card was the only thing i had, she then gets all arsey and says , and i quote "look, this card does not get in your door, you need a key to open you door, go get the key"!!! to which i reply, "you go get in my car and i will drive you to the cabin, there is no key hole"............. she tells me i am wrong to which i say well you check the cabin cause i aint going no where without my deposit, to which she shruggs her shoulders!.............
the original assistant then says are you sure you werent given a key to cabin one, "what? i say i was in cabin 56, not one"!!! arrrrrr they say, no key for cabin 56!!!!!!!

they then carry on in silence, i was bloody fuming, there was load of people behind me, i said, are you not going to say sorry, they say we have nothing to apoligise for????????

just ignorant and down right rude, i dont want my children learning this and im ashamed to say they are! customer service is pants
i personally find that the aussies do not seem to have been brought up with the same emphasis on manners as other countries (thats me trying to be polite ). in some ways, they can be polite. BUT, the occassions that we take for granted, where manners can be used, just does not happen over here. they think they are not being rude, its just how australia and its people are. i also get annoyed when people dont acknowledge that you have let them cross the road/let them out of a side street into the flow of traffic etc etc. i find it infuriating because i am always drumming it into my kids heads, manners dont cost anything and manners will go a long way. they have been brought up to say please and thankyou and i often receive comments on how nice my childrens manners are. then they see people hardly using their manners as the norm. i hope these manners they have doesnt dissipate the longer we live here.

Last edited by Sleeping Beauty; Jan 21st 2007 at 3:48 pm. Reason: adding another line!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:46 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

You are a travelled Aussie...a rare breed.
similar characteristics to a travelled pom perhaps?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:52 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i personally find that the aussies do not seem to have been brought up with the same emphasis on manners as other countries (thats me trying to be polite ). in some ways, they can be polite. BUT, the occassions that we take for granted, where manners can be used, just does not happen over here. they think they are not being rude, its just how australia and its people are. i also get annoyed when people dont acknowledge that you have let them cross the road/let them out of a side street into the flow of traffic etc etc. i find it infuriating because i am always drumming it into my kids heads, manners dont cost anything and manners will go a long way. they have been brought up to say please and thankyou and i often receive comments on how nice my childrens manners are. then they see people hardly using their manners as the norm. i hope these manners they have doesnt dissipate the longer we live here.

agree!

it consistently drives me bonkers

why why why do the ozzies stand behind you when i have my children in the buggy and am blocking the aisles, when i look up, they look at me like dirt on their thongs! why dont they say excuse me please i dont have eyes up my a***e
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gedge
similar characteristics to a travelled pom perhaps?
Oh yes of course! I mean, recounting the annual two week package holiday to Benidorm makes such enchanting conversation points don't you think?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:58 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

agree!

why why why do the ozzies stand behind you when i have my children in the buggy and am blocking the aisles, when i look up, they look at me like dirt on their thongs! why dont they say excuse me please i dont have eyes up my a***e
.............and, if you are anything like me, then apologise for being in the way
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

agree!

Isn't it infuriating? Whenever I go down an aisle, and there are people blocking the way, I always say :excuse me please" and "thank-you" when they move. They still look at me as if I've got a bloody nerve asking them to move!

I initially found it very difficult to be rude, because I am a polite person (honest, I am!) but now I don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.