Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mammograms for ladies in their 30's

Wikiposts

Mammograms for ladies in their 30's

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:23 pm
Three of us

hettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant future
Default Mammograms for ladies in their 30's

Hi,i want to have a mammogram done,is there anywhere in the Northern Beaches where i can have one done without being referred by my GP.Obviously i will have to pay but i dont mind that,thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mammograms for ladies in their 30's

Originally Posted by hettie
Hi,i want to have a mammogram done,is there anywhere in the Northern Beaches where i can have one done without being referred by my GP.Obviously i will have to pay but i dont mind that,thanks
http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/in...sf/Content/how

Phone the helpline number 13 20 50 and ask. (There is free screening for the over 40s, but I am sure if you phone and ask, they will tell you about having it done if under 40 and paying for it. They will tell you where the nearest centre is. And you don't need a GP referal.)
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:35 pm
Three of us

hettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/in...sf/Content/how

Phone the helpline number 13 20 50 and ask. (There is free screening for the over 40s, but I am sure if you phone and ask, they will tell you about having it done if under 40 and paying for it. They will tell you where the nearest centre is. And you don't need a GP referal.)
Thank you,i have rang them but because im under the age of 40 i have to see my GP first!! So thats what im doing on Friday Thank you so much anyway x
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough

Thank you,i have rang them but because im under the age of 40 i have to see my GP first!! So thats what im doing on Friday Thank you so much anyway x
Hi Hettie,

Something to bear in mind is that one of the reasons mammorgrams are not done on younger women is that under 40 or 45 breast normally has a high proportion of glandular tissue, rendering it less suitable for mammography. Another option is high resolution ultrasound. If you have found a lump or you have a strong family history i think you should be able to get these regularly with no problems.

good luck Claire
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Even the high resolution ultrasound isn't too expensive after the medicare rebate. About $60.

It may be worth checking that out, rather than the less detailed mammogram, if you are going to have to pay for it. But you would need a Doctors referral for that.

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:03 pm
Three of us

Originally Posted by claire-n-tel
Hi Hettie,

Something to bear in mind is that one of the reasons mammorgrams are not done on younger women is that under 40 or 45 breast normally has a high proportion of glandular tissue, rendering it less suitable for mammography. Another option is high resolution ultrasound. If you have found a lump or you have a strong family history i think you should be able to get these regularly with no problems.

good luck Claire
Cool,thanks for that.The reason im going is because i have lots of lumps i had a scan in the UK yrs ago and they said i had alot of cysts etc and everything was fine and not to worry,but the thing is ive got so many horrid lumps i wouldnt know if it is a new one,old one,normal one etc I ll see what the Doc says tomorrow x
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

hettie, if you take no other advice this year, I'd urge you to take note of this.

My wife (39), was diagnosed with high grade breast cancer at Xmas. It was 2cm, but she found it herself. The routine Mammograms (family history) didn't pick it up any earlier.

Now these are not my words - but those of an experienced, highly esteemed breast surgeon - "Mammograms are not that effective in catching breast cancer tumors."

In Australia, high risk patients can now get Medicare rebates on MRI's. This has only been brought in over the last few months.

Now again, in the words of my wife's surgeon - "comparing an MRI to a Mammogram is like drawing parallels between a Rolls Royce and a Hyundai". The icing on the cake is that MRI's don't emit the radiation that Mammograms do.

So if you, or any other lady reading this, have any concerns at all, I would strongly urge you to gain peace of mind from the MRI route.

God bless darlin

Big Baz xxxx
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy

In Australia, high risk patients can now get Medicare rebates on MRI's. This has only been brought in over the last few months.

Now again, in the words of my wife's surgeon - "comparing an MRI to a Mammogram is like drawing parallels between a Rolls Royce and a Hyundai". The icing on the cake is that MRI's don't emit the radiation that Mammograms do.

So if you, or any other lady reading this, have any concerns at all, I would strongly urge you to gain peace of mind from the MRI route.
Sorry to hear that your wife had to go through this, hope she is doing better now.

What would be classed as high risk? My mum had BC 7 years ago when she was 47, does that make me high risk or would there need to be multiple family members. I check regularly but have never thought about scans of any sort as I know mammograms don't pick things up in women my age (31).
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Sorry to hear that your wife had to go through this, hope she is doing better now.

What would be classed as high risk? My mum had BC 7 years ago when she was 47, does that make me high risk or would there need to be multiple family members. I check regularly but have never thought about scans of any sort as I know mammograms don't pick things up in women my age (31).
Hi Flutterby!
Not sure if its the same worldwide but in the UK it would be 3 or more direct family members, ie mother, grandmother, aunts, sisters. Also it is the hormonal based cancers that count. You can then get tested for the "breast cancer gene" my Mum, Sister and Aunt all had breat cancer and me and my other sister were offered the test. My sister had it done and doesn't have it, i actually declined the test as i check myself regularly and didn't really want to know.

First thing to find is was your mums cancer hormonally based.

good luck

claire
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have mammograms every two years because of my age and the first one I had showed something in my breast, however it cannot be detected with ultra sound and I had to have a biopsy taken, its only seen on the xray. Nothing to feel either. So they just watch it now as they know what it is.

I told my friend who was not yet 50 that she should get a mammogram done and they are free for people over forty here but they do not call you back like they do for us over fifties. She went and had the mammogram and she had ductal carcinoma insitu and had both breasts removed within two weeks. Her surgeon told her she had thousands of cancer cells in the ducts of her breasts.

What I am saying is that if you are over 40 and have history then you should not be waiting to find a lump as not all cancer is a lump.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:34 am
Three of us

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
hettie, if you take no other advice this year, I'd urge you to take note of this.

My wife (39), was diagnosed with high grade breast cancer at Xmas. It was 2cm, but she found it herself. The routine Mammograms (family history) didn't pick it up any earlier.

Now these are not my words - but those of an experienced, highly esteemed breast surgeon - "Mammograms are not that effective in catching breast cancer tumors."

God bless darlin

Big Baz xxxx
Hi,just to let you know,i went to the docs at 9.30am fri,had scan at 2.30pm and luckily they said everything looked normal.They said ive got a lot of lumps and bumps but its all down to glands,cysts and the lumpy breast tissue itself,not very nice really But hey ho thank god its not something nasty.The treatment i received was absolutely fantastic and the scan cost $160-nothing really.......I wish i was brave enough to have a bust reduction but too scared Thanks again for the advice etc...Take care x
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

.The treatment i received was absolutely fantastic and the scan cost $160-nothing really.......
How much did you get back on the scan ?
My wife paid $152.75 and got back $92.75 from Medicare.

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:24 am
Three of us

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much did you get back on the scan ?
My wife paid $152.75 and got back $92.75 from Medicare.
Hi,i dont know yet,going to medicare later.......I ll let you know