Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Malaysian Airlines & Kuala Lumpur

Malaysian Airlines & Kuala Lumpur

Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:45 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaysian Airlines & Kuala Lumpur

Originally Posted by Grayling
Malaysian are fine. They are the best airline flying to Australia IMO....at least in economy class and you get more leg room than the others.

I have flown with a few so am talking from Experience.

KL is great....I used to spend a lot of time there as my BIL lived there. However, the airport is some way from the city and I never had to worry about looking after kids.

The airport hotels are excellent.....as is the new airport.

G
I agree with the old fella

While I must admit I can't stand BA (though a friend used to be long haul steward so looked after us) I think Maylasia are very good. Very good servce.

Have flown Qantas more than any other airline, and contrary to others on here very good (maybe due to no kids), I htink you're be fine with Malaysia, next time I go to Oz I'm booking with them.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

flown with them twice from uk-aus.
recommend with out hesitation. you can request seats through their online help desk or by phone.( aisle or window etc). meals as op's have said were a bit spicey. alcohol is given free at meals, but you can ask for some during the flight if wanted!
in flight entertainment was great, movies and cd's that you can control from the seat.
overall, great company.
Dom
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:04 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

I'm certainly buoyed from what's being said about Malaysian Airlines.

We've never flown anyone other than Singapore Airlines. But I'm not putting my family on that Airbus 380 Super Jumbo during it's first 5 years of service.

Don't believe Malaysian Airlines have ordered any, so will be looking to book them for our annual jaunt to blighty in 2008.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
I'm certainly buoyed from what's being said about Malaysian Airlines.

We've never flown anyone other than Singapore Airlines. But I'm not putting my family on that Airbus 380 Super Jumbo during it's first 5 years of service.

Don't believe Malaysian Airlines have ordered any, so will be looking to book them for our annual jaunt to blighty in 2008.
Good thats me flying SINGAPORE then
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:22 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Good thats me flying SINGAPORE then
Sit nearer the front.

Statistically, you're less likely to survive a crash, and being Irish you'll annoy the toffs in Business Class.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:26 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sit nearer the front.

Statistically, you're less likely to survive a crash, and being Irish you'll annoy the toffs in Business Class.
Dear boy i only ever sit in business class
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:33 pm
Banned

Dear boy i only ever sit in business class
Lead from church roofs, horses from fields and pension money when poorly tarmacing drives.

But how on earth do you steal a seat in business class.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:43 pm
FREE TIBET

Lead from church roofs, horses from fields and pension money when poorly tarmacing drives.

But how on earth do you steal a seat in business class.
What kind of 'IRISH' people you been hanging about with,oh perhaps you get THE SUN crapaper delivered downunder,would seem about your level of understanding and IQ
Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:57 pm
Banned

What kind of 'IRISH' people you been hanging about with
None, if I can help it.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:02 pm
FREE TIBET

None, if I can help it.
Aaah mate you dont know what your missing,grab a cold one from the fridge,pull up a chair and tell me what ails you
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They have.

Looks like you will have to swim.

G
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:03 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkandS
Hello

Has anybody got any experience of flying with Malaysian airlines? What about a stop over in Kuala Lumpur. What are the recommendations to do while there with 2 children aged 11 & 9. What about getting a suit made etc.

Sorry for so many quations in one post.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark whereabouts in B'ham are you? we having recently moved to the GC from Kings Norton in B'ham

Originally Posted by Hutch
I love the Pan Pacific hotel in KL airport. Absolutely top notch place and dirt cheap. We always overnight there when we fly Malaysian - mainly for our sprog's benefit. They have a great spa/pool downstairs which you can relax around and the food in sensational.

Malaysian are okay - the legroom's the main benefit. Found the food okay, though as others have said, not great for kids, especially when they forget to order a kids meal at all (as happened to us twice). We'd learnt quickly though and always brought plenty of our own food/drink for the flight.
Agree with you Hutch the Pan Pacific is fab within the airport so no need to go through immigration only stayed overnight as thats all we wanted but just enough to get a nights sleep for us and the kids before the next leg of the journey We went this route on our reccie last year and wanted to do the same when we moved here in June but could'nt get a booking at the Pan Pacific so we flew with Singapore Airlines and stayed at their transit hotel instead.

Prefer Singapore Airlines to Malaysia Airlines but prefer the Pan Pacific at Kuala Lumpur to the Singapore transit hotel. C x
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
Agree with you Hutch the Pan Pacific is fab within the airport so no need to go through immigration only stayed overnight as thats all we wanted but just enough to get a nights sleep for us and the kids before the next leg of the journey. Prefer Singapore Airlines to Malaysia Airlines but prefer the Pan Pacific at Kuala Lumpur to the Singapore transit hotel. C x
Yep - fab hotel. Not stayed in the Singapore one, but the one in Hong Kong is a truly awful hotel - unbelievably expensive and third rate.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
They have.

Looks like you will have to swim.

G
Have they?

T!ts :curse:

p.s. I think between BA and swimming, you're suggestion sounds the most feasible.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:23 am
Just Joined

cczmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Malaysian Airlines & Kuala Lumpur

>KL is a great city. Not as mental as Bangkok but also not as sterile as >Singapore. It's hot and humid and the traffic is crazy. The public transport >is cheap and efficient. The shopping is great.

Have stayed in KL a few times & this post is spot on. Our preference is to stay around Jalan Bukit Bintang... look at this link below for info...

http://directrooms.com/malaysia/hote...ang-price1.htm

The Capitol hotel looks decent but we've stayed at the Royal Bintang a few times which is very good. Better than the Swiss Garden (which also has the disadvantage of being on the wrong side of a very busy 6 lane road). Book direct and you can often get a better deal than on the usual hotel sites. Easy to get around on the monorail from either Impi or Bukit Bintang.

For some authentic local cuisine go to the parallel street Jalan Alor which at night comes alive with hawker stalls. Some of them might look a bit iffy but the food is absolutely fine quality.

Have a good one!
Mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.