Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Making realtionships work between 2 people from different countries

Wikiposts

Making realtionships work between 2 people from different countries

Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making realtionships work between 2 people from different countries

Originally Posted by JR230898
Yes...me and my 'Love & Kisses' are both from very different continents and cultures. We met when she walked through my apartment door in Maputo, Mozambique in July 2000. She accompanied her friend who was the girlfriend of my flatmate (and it was his farewell) and I have never looked further since.
Had been sent to Mozambique to assist in the demining of the place after it had experienced 25yrs of hard conflict. Dina and her family had survived that, had seen the gore and terror, and are some of the most friendly and affable people you could imagine. They are just grateful for life. Dina's Dad is a fairly traditional man with 3 wives (and is a practising Catholic) from which he has 26 children. There is a real mixture of language as the wives are a combination of Xangaan, Chope, & Ronga. Dina could speak 4 languages before she went to school; where she learnt Portuguese.
Since meeting me she has also mastered and is still studying (Nursing) in English.
Dina and 3 kids migrated with me to Australia and we lived together with my 2 kids and we became the Black & White Brady Bunch. Our marriage is a standout success, we love each other and our kids so much. Meeting Dina changed my life, for the better. It certainly opened my mind, and hers, and we are all better people for it. Life is about what you do in it; not what you bought.
That's beautiful.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR230898
Yes...me and my 'Love & Kisses' are both from very different continents and cultures. We met when she walked through my apartment door in Maputo, Mozambique in July 2000. She accompanied her friend who was the girlfriend of my flatmate (and it was his farewell) and I have never looked further since.
Had been sent to Mozambique to assist in the demining of the place after it had experienced 25yrs of hard conflict. Dina and her family had survived that, had seen the gore and terror, and are some of the most friendly and affable people you could imagine. They are just grateful for life. Dina's Dad is a fairly traditional man with 3 wives (and is a practising Catholic) from which he has 26 children. There is a real mixture of language as the wives are a combination of Xangaan, Chope, & Ronga. Dina could speak 4 languages before she went to school; where she learnt Portuguese.
Since meeting me she has also mastered and is still studying (Nursing) in English.
Dina and 3 kids migrated with me to Australia and we lived together with my 2 kids and we became the Black & White Brady Bunch. Our marriage is a standout success, we love each other and our kids so much. Meeting Dina changed my life, for the better. It certainly opened my mind, and hers, and we are all better people for it. Life is about what you do in it; not what you bought.

Awwww that is so lovely.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP

I have a friend at the moment in a similar situation - kind of, bear with me.

She is English but has lived in Australia for 30 years and is a REAL Aussie lover and citizen and wants to live out her days there. She re-connected with a man on the Friends Reunited website a few years ago, she used to be engaged to him before she emigrated and had not seen him since then. Anyway long story short, she moved over here to the UK May 2010 and they have been living together in Wigan (!!!) since about August 2010.

She loves Australia and owns her own house outright about 5 streets back from the beach in Bulli, NSW.

Well they are now there on holiday, he has barely been out of the UK before, well only to Spain and the like, and he has done quite a bit of complaining about Oz by the sounds of the emails she has been sending me. He has said it rains more there, he didn't realise she would live so far from shops and places, they just went to the Blue Mountains for a few days and she practically is shouting in her email to me, it's a bloody heritage site FFS, and he said "Yeah, it's quite nice"

I don't know how this will play out because her intention is to get back to living in Australia ASAP and she wants him to go the visa route, etc. Time will tell.........

Sooo you would think a man who lives and works in Wigan in 't grim North would be thrilled to be living in a lovely house in a beach suburb in a desirable area of NSW no?

Maybe something like your man felt about leaving the hustle and bustle of London and living in Darwin? Maybe it was just all too much of a culture shock to his system?

Australia isn't for everybody, maybe it's better to find out now before you get married, have kids, etc, then if he got homesick after years there it would truly be a bigger problem, go and read the Moving Back To The UK forum, lots of people on there get divorced, or leave partners and children behind to move back home............

Then again if it's meant to be you will find a work around.

Good luck.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 25th 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Well they are now there on holiday, he has barely been out of the UK before, well only to Spain and the like, and he has done quite a bit of complaining about Oz by the sounds of the emails she has been sending me. He has said it rains more there, he didn't realise she would live so far from shops and places, they just went to the Blue Mountains for a few days and she practically is shouting in her email to me, it's a bloody heritage site FFS, and he said "Yeah, it's quite nice"
I didn't know Karl Pilkington lives in Wigan!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Just read that British women are the fattest in Europe so another good reason for hooking up with a foreign bint
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by papilon
Just read that British women are the fattest in Europe so another good reason for hooking up with a foreign bint
Bint?
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:18 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
I don't mind the larger woman.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I don't mind the larger woman.
The lager woman you say?
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:50 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
The lager woman you say?
They usually end up stout or bitter.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I didn't know Karl Pilkington lives in Wigan!

He does sound quite dry on his perception of Australia from her emails. He doesn't have on her rose coloured spectacles by all accounts.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
To the OP

I have a friend at the moment in a similar situation - kind of, bear with me.

She is English but has lived in Australia for 30 years and is a REAL Aussie lover and citizen and wants to live out her days there. She re-connected with a man on the Friends Reunited website a few years ago, she used to be engaged to him before she emigrated and had not seen him since then. Anyway long story short, she moved over here to the UK May 2010 and they have been living together in Wigan (!!!) since about August 2010.

She loves Australia and owns her own house outright about 5 streets back from the beach in Bulli, NSW.

I don't know how this will play out because her intention is to get back to living in Australia ASAP and she wants him to go the visa route, etc. Time will tell.........

Sooo you would think a man who lives and works in Wigan in 't grim North would be thrilled to be living in a lovely house in a beach suburb in a desirable area of NSW no?

Maybe something like your man felt about leaving the hustle and bustle of London and living in Darwin? Maybe it was just all too much of a culture shock to his system?

Australia isn't for everybody, maybe it's better to find out now before you get married, have kids, etc, then if he got homesick after years there it would truly be a bigger problem, go and read the Moving Back To The UK forum, lots of people on there get divorced, or leave partners and children behind to move back home............

Then again if it's meant to be you will find a work around.

Good luck.
I can relate to this.... Being from London etc. My Wifes family are from Parkes NSW and Bendigo. Both of those places were a huge culture shock to me. Luckily after 2 years + of living with me in London plus a stint on her own in Melbourne before we met, She was well and truly over living in the quieter places.

There is no way I would have survived in Aus if I had to live in Parkes or Bendigo. The places used to die in the arse at night time.... Especially back in 1980 when I first arrived, They both felt like mourges .... Or as Spike Milligan put it "Above Ground Cemetries" I cant emphasise enough how much I hated the night time feel in both of those places. Night time for me equated to entertainment. especially at age 25 ... not blackness, deathly quietness and solitude. I could possibly cope with a quieter place now I'm in my 50's though. Probably Hobart or Adelaide quiet would be as far as I could cope. Although I do confess to having a retirement eye on Echuca/Moama... there again thats fairly close to Melbourne and a different proposition if you dont have to work there.

Not sure what I'd personally choose between Wigan and the Blue Mountains though.

If your a real Urban Lover I cant see any other Aus Cities beside Melbourne and Sydney cutting it really.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Bint?
Sorry, meant to say Doris