Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Making Bradford British

Making Bradford British

Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Bradford British

I'm not sure why I would want to live in Bradford when we want to live in Somerset I'm not a racist if that is what you mean ?

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Maybe when you go back to the UK you should go and live in Bradford rather than white conservative Somerset. Sounds like you will fit in well up there.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, everywhere has its problem areas, there isn't escaping that fact.

I remember being told at least 20 years ago that Britain was going to the dogs

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm not naive, there are some real problem areas in Bradford, but some of those are very white - as are some of the dodgiest areas of Leeds.

edit: and I didn't run away from anything ten years ago, don't think Britain has gone to the dogs, yadda yadda. Still love Yorkshire.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955

Yep, even your sleepy little Somerset town may have them - sleepy little towns = bored teens = substance abuse problems
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:47 pm
Banned

Absolutely, we currently live in a really good area and we have had our car broken into and had 2 stabbings including one when a party went too far and spilled into the street, one bloke running around with an axe and groups screaming abuse at each other.

Yep, even your sleepy little Somerset town may have them - sleepy little towns = bored teens = substance abuse problems
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a "good area" is where you went wrong. When I left my first husband I moved to a "good area" of Leeds for safety. So "good" that the scroggins from down the road regularly raided it for its rich pickings, and I had awful trouble getting contents insurance for a first floor apartment.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:19 pm
Banned

Yeah there is certainly an element of truth in that, not much worth pinching in a bad area
I have been using the UK Police site where you can search a particular area and see the reported crimes. Some of the places we are looking at show reported crimes in the 30's for the whole year, some months there are 3 crimes reported

Living in a "good area" is where you went wrong. When I left my first husband I moved to a "good area" of Leeds for safety. So "good" that the scroggins from down the road regularly raided it for its rich pickings, and I had awful trouble getting contents insurance for a first floor apartment.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:23 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

One thing for sure, it certainly hasn't got better.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:44 am
Banned

Well I have always said the 80's was the best time to be alive, to me nowhere has improved since then.

Originally Posted by paulry
One thing for sure, it certainly hasn't got better.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have always said the 80's was the best time to be alive, to me nowhere has improved since then.
When Margaret Thatcher was PM.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Encountered the exact thing here at work with our first wave of Indian Migrants. I actually had a go at one of them at our work place (Australia Post) and he must have past the message on.... They are all saying please and thank you now.

I think it is a cultural thing and I think they are willing to learn... if that sounds patronising I dont really care... it's what's happened locally here in my life.
Yep, I agree, but i have found this with many nationalities here. I have got used to the fact that when someone accidently bumps into you, there is no smile or apology. Mind you, if you didnt apologize in Scotland , it could result in a punch in the face, you learn manners quickly that way

I once had another nurse actually push me , but i wasn't long and speaking up at that incident.

Actually the lack of manners astounds me.

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 5th 2012 at 5:39 am.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:34 am
Banned

Back in the 80's I couldn't care less who was PM, as long as I could go down the pub, ride my bike and have fun

Originally Posted by NedKelly
When Margaret Thatcher was PM.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:59 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

If you are born in Britain or have taken out British citizenship then you are British, it really is that simple. What needs to be reevaluated ?
It is not that simple at all. Many factors come into play in determining nationality. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think that because you are born in a particular country then you are automatically a citizen of that country.
I was not born in the UK. I never had to take out British citizenship.
Yet
I am British, and hold a UK passport. There is no way that I am or have ever been a citizen or a national of the country of my birth.

Last edited by The Woodcutter; Mar 5th 2012 at 11:02 am.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Encountered the exact thing here at work with our first wave of Indian Migrants. I actually had a go at one of them at our work place (Australia Post) and he must have past the message on.... They are all saying please and thank you now.

I think it is a cultural thing and I think they are willing to learn... if that sounds patronising I dont really care... it's what's happened locally here in my life.
The Primary school my children go to is in the catchment for the area that covers our local hospital. A number of nurses have been recruited who are Indian and their children attend our school (probably about 20 kids in total). Quite honestly if my children were that rude I would be mortified. Every single one of them never say please and thank you and I have to remind them in the office and the canteen pretty much every time I am at work. In contrast the children of chinese descent are exceptionally polite to the point of being over the top.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

What does being British in todays EU-overlorded devolved multicultural Britain mean?

Last edited by paulry; Mar 6th 2012 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
The Primary school my children go to is in the catchment for the area that covers our local hospital. A number of nurses have been recruited who are Indian and their children attend our school (probably about 20 kids in total). Quite honestly if my children were that rude I would be mortified. Every single one of them never say please and thank you and I have to remind them in the office and the canteen pretty much every time I am at work. In contrast the children of chinese descent are exceptionally polite to the point of being over the top.

Thank god for Aussie non PC with issues like this. The locals here will definitely for the most part pull them up on it. It's not acceptable and they are expected to assimilate..... Looks like some maybe slower to learn than others thats all.

Agree 100 pct about the Chinese/SE Asians in general... probably the best Ethnic group at assimilating in my view.

This thread will do for another story from home.

Very recently my Son brought a new kid to our house.... So we had Ethan Anglo/Aussie .....Andrew Malaysian.... Uly Greek.... Evan Greek ......and this new Kid who was the Blackest Kid I've ever seen... I mean dark dark shiny black, which surprised me when he just walzed through the doors with the others... just because he was a new kid that stood right out and he had a 100 pct dinky die Aussie accent.. Despite his Somalian birthplace. The clincher was his name.... I asked and I really had to top myself laughing out loud.

His Aussie name... Obviously taken on face value by his migrant parents in this the Multi Cultural Northern Subs...... "Mario" honestly it was so hard not to laugh when I first heard that.... I wonder what his Somalian name is. Now how Melbourne is that !!!

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 6th 2012 at 2:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.