Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Making Bradford British

Making Bradford British

Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Bradford British

Originally Posted by chris955
Im glad you posted that and not me
I'm probably the only current Pro view Aussie on these boards that has some time for your posts

Not sure why, but I can see some sense in the points you raise... Especially to do with Boredom and blandness.... Luckily for me and I know I've gone on about this ad nausem, I know I live in probably the least bland and most culturally vibrant part of Aus.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I do understand exactly what your saying and understand your concerns.... But it is definitely NOT a Pakistani only issue. It actually happens around here where I live in Melbournes Northern Subs, admittedly to a far lesser degree. It comes with the seemingly more paternelistic views of a certain religion. I've brought up 3 girls in this area and have had a few concering issues... mostly to do with them walking 400 meters home from our local station or much earlier on at Primary school. However it's not exactly difficult to fend off.

To be blunt as Coburg has become more gentrified those definitely non Pakistani issues have mostly moved further out and North.
"certain religion" Bit of self censorship there?
Muslim issue then?
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
"certain religion" Bit of self censorship there?
Muslim issue then?
Yes .... but definitely not all embracing.... Definitely a minority part and also restricted to a certain age group.

My real concern is actually one we mentioned briefly once before. My Son can go anywhere and mix with any of these people and they love him. I mean they are really welcoming to him. Now I'll fully admit that I'm not that comfortable with that, especially the job offers he gets in fully muslim owned businesses as it could well be indoctrinating... Especially to a Blond tall 14/15 year old Anglo/Aussie. I appreciate the way the local muslim people give him freebies and plenty of job offers .... They do it to every young man regardless of religion afaik..... Not quite so easy for the Girls though.

Thats something I have to come to terms with, and I know my concerns with those offers are based on Ignorance.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2012 at 10:55 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes .... but definitely not all embracing.... Definitely a minority part and also restricted to a certain age group.

My real concern is actually one we mentioned briefly once before. My Son can go anywhere and mix with any of these people and they love him. I mean they are really welcoming to him. Now I'll fully admit that I'm not that comfortable with that, especially the job offers he gets in fully muslim owned businesses as it could well be indoctrinating.

Thats something I have to come to terms with, and I know my concerns with that are based on Ignorance.
Absolutely. 99% of people are fine no matter what religion they maybe. The bit that pisses me off, is that people are howled at, if they even suggest that there may be a cultural aspect to the offences.
It's almost a McCarthyist reaction. If you don't like the question just shout "Racist!!" and that's enough to shut people up.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:57 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Not something that bothers me obviously, usually evrrything i say gets twisted and turned, no big deal just life on an internet forum

I'm probably the only current Pro view Aussie on these boards that has some time for your posts

Not sure why, but I can see some sense in the points you raise... Especially to do with Boredom and blandness.... Luckily for me and I know I've gone on about this ad nausem, I know I live in probably the least bland and most culturally vibrant part of Aus.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not all embracing? A minority part? You should read the Sheik Hilali "uncovered meat" speech he gave after some muslims were convicted of gang rape in Sydney. Here is the transcript:-
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1111112425808
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Again i have to ask how is this relevant to anything? Every rational person knows that these views are held by a small majority. Radical Muslims make up a tiny %, most Muslims remarkably are much like most other religions, law abiding good citizens.

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Definitely not all embracing? A minority part? You should read the Sheik Hilali "uncovered meat" speech he gave after some muslims were convicted of gang rape in Sydney. Here is the transcript:-
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Thats a bit like saying all Anglicans are like Ian Paisely.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:08 am
Banned

Lets not go bringing commonsense into a clearly racist argument

Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:48 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

And that Catholics always play Vatican roullette and never abort.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the most revealing part about the programme wasn't about race. It was when the narrator said that "it was benefits day, the pubs busiest time of the week."

Reminded me of the old joke....

What's green and gets you drunk?

A giro cheque.

or the old song...

"There's whiskey in the giro."