Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Making Bradford British

Making Bradford British

Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Bradford British

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Did you see the show Dean?
It was a lot better than I had feared, they did not invite a bunch of bigots, but people who were prepared to be open, but may have been a bit naive. As one British black woman said of a British white guy "I do not think he is racist, just naive" The guy in question made several comments that he did not intend to be hurtful, but clearly were.
The only person who may have been a racist, did not openly expose it and left the show (Mohammaed)
The objectionable characters were met in a pub and were not part of the group.
In all the show was optimistic, suggesting that once we are exposed to a culture, we are much more understanding and accepting of it.
We of course do not know what was edited, and selected for non-inclusion.
It wasn't the behaviour of the people taking part in the show I referred to. In fact the young man ended up realising his behaviour wasn't good as he was paired with the muslim rugby played and said at the end they were actually quite alike. It was 2 of the people in the pub in the second episode giving the young muslim girl such a hard time because of her clothing. It made me very angry.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That whatever was said to her, wouldn't be that different, from what any other young girl behind a bar faces, on regular basis.
He was telling her that she shouldn't be wearing the clothing muslim girls wear and she should in fact be wearing a mini skirt and cropped top as that's what English girls wear. They told her if she wasn't prepared to then she should go back to her own country. She tried to tell them she was British and born in England and therefore in her own country but they weren't getting it. Pathetic and ignorant.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It would be interesting to know what upset him when he walked off. I think we were supposed to think he would be uncomfortable if his daughter brought home a white guy, but I have a feeling that middle class dinner party planning might have put him over the edge.
To be honest, I think he might be upset if she did. But, I don't think he's racist as such, just more traditional if you like. I expect his daughter already has her husband chosen.

Originally Posted by northernbird
It wasn't the behaviour of the people taking part in the show I referred to. In fact the young man ended up realising his behaviour wasn't good as he was paired with the muslim rugby played and said at the end they were actually quite alike. It was 2 of the people in the pub in the second episode giving the young muslim girl such a hard time because of her clothing. It made me very angry.
He was telling her that she shouldn't be wearing the clothing muslim girls wear and she should in fact be wearing a mini skirt and cropped top as that's what English girls wear. They told her if she wasn't prepared to then she should go back to her own country. She tried to tell them she was British and born in England and therefore in her own country but they weren't getting it. Pathetic and ignorant.
Sadly the attitude of a lot of white Bradfordians.

My cousin has just married a Moroccan and her Dad and Brother have told her they are ashamed of her for not 'being with one of your own' They have told her while she is married to this guy, she isn't welcome in their house(s).

I have to say though, the show has made me re-think a few misconceptions I had. Hopefully it's done the same for a lot of people in Britain.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
To be honest, I think he might be upset if she did. But, I don't think he's racist as such, just more traditional if you like. I expect his daughter already has her husband chosen.
You mean "traditional" in the respect that, if it had been his daughter sent to work in a pub and she had been 'touched' by a customer, he would have knocked seven shades of shit out of her afterwards?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You mean "traditional" in the respect that, if it had been his daughter sent to work in a pub and she had been 'touched' by a customer, he would have knocked seven shades of shit out of her afterwards?
oh yes, definitely!

Although if someone had touched me that way and said that to me, I'd have knocked seven shades of shit out of him too!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Wouldn't surprise me. My friends nephew, fresh out of college, got a job as a teacher in a primary school in Sheffield. One of his teaching colleagues is an asian girl the same age and although they weren't girlfriend and boyfriend they did a few things together, went to the cinema and to a theater once. Next thing that happens, three of her brothers turn up on his doorstep, push him around a bit and warn him that if he talks to their sister again they will kill both of them. Isn't all this integration great!

Oh yes like that happens with every single mixed race relationship...NOT.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

I shall moan about the racist bigots thanks, the producer and director just alerted me to what is going on, they didn't make those arseholes behave like that. I am all for integration in any country but those dickheads just made the white englishman look like a complete wanker.
Not sure if your referring to all white englishmen as wankers or just that retarded low life??

I work in the construction industry and come into contact with a large cross section of society on a daily basis. I have heard bigoted racist comments from guys in all the countries i have lived and worked in, even places like Denmark,Sweden and Holland that are generally considered tolerant people.
Australia is no different and i hear the usual crap on a weekly basis.

When some Brits say they find Australia to be more racist than back home i think what they are experiencing is that here politicians and the suedo tv news shows like ACA and Today Tonight are much more likely to play the race card for there own agendas.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:35 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
To be honest, I think he might be upset if she did. But, I don't think he's racist as such, just more traditional if you like.

so if a white guy didnt want his daughter to marry a black/coloured/asian guy would he racist as such, or just more 'traditional'?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I felt sorry for the muslim woman. There she was, the result of a government policy which encouraged segregation, struggling to understand that because she didn't opt-in to the British way of life, many British don't consider her to be one of them. Seems to me she's more a victim of a failed social ideology than of racism.

Mohammad? Well. Not much British about him is there?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
I felt sorry for the muslim woman. There she was, the result of a government policy which encouraged segregation, struggling to understand that because she didn't opt-in to the British way of life, many British don't consider her to be one of them. Seems to me she's more a victim of a failed social ideology than of racism.
What do you mean government policy?? you cannot force people to intergrate, require learning the language yes but if anyone thinks there are any second generation immigrants ie born in the UK that don't speak English that is just not true. It is normal for new migrants to be attracted to an area that they have a network from there homeland. Happens all over the world, Chinatown, Little Italy and so on.

As a migrant to Australia you are not forced to op into to the Australian way of life and why should you be.

As long as people obey the laws of the country they choose to live in then i do not see a problem.

Time alone will take care of the assimilation problem just as it has done over the centuries.

Before i left the UK just over 4 years ago i noticed in London that many of the local Indian/Pakistani shops and restaurants were starting to employ young people, mainly from Poland or eastern Europe. The reason, there own kids had gone to uni and had no desire to work in the family business and it is now very hard to bring over unskilled labour from there home countries as they had in the past.

You only have to look at history to see nothing stays the same.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately Britain is waking up to it's problem and attempting to deal with it.

Britain Launches War on Multiculturalism

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and a much more active, muscular liberalism. A passively tolerant society says to its citizens as long as you obey the law we will just leave you alone. It stands neutral between different values. But I believe a genuinely liberal country does much more; it believes in certain values and actively promotes them. Freedom of speech, freedom of worship, democracy, the rule of law, equal rights regardless of race, sex or sexuality. It says to its citizens, this is what defines us as a society: to belong here is to believe in these things."
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
If you are born in Britain or have taken out British citizenship then you are British, it really is that simple. What needs to be reevaluated ?
You are right - but it's a technicality. Easy to say when you are heading to Somerset. I am proud of my English heritage and I know full well that parts of culture practised in parts of the UK is not mine and is alien to me. (Even parts of UK culture are alien to me - the whole supermarket culture.)

I'm sure if you find a place in some nice Somerset village, 99.9% white and looking like Midsomer, then the idea that having a British passport makes you 'British' would apply.
I doubt that same philosophy would apply to many of the population of places like Bradford.
True - but see my last post.

My point is, that there are now some very large parts of Britain, where the only the only attachment to Britain, that the people living there have, is just that passport you mentioned... and bugger all else.

They live in Britain but are not part of it.
I would say they are part of it - it's just that their culture is not the original one here.

I suppose the TV show does not show the people who retain their own culture and still say they are British. Maybe not Bradford but other Uk cities.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by papilon
What do you mean government policy?? you cannot force people to intergrate....
probably not... but you can actively promote the need NOT to integrate.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Yorkshire men refuse to integrate into England.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:18 am
Banned

probably not... but you can actively promote the need NOT to integrate.
this was done in many ways but most notoriously in the provision of state funding to cultural groups whose beliefs stongly oppose core British values. For example those promoting sharia law, failing to condemn terrorism, having shabby womens rights records, etc.

See the link that I pointed Papillon towards for further details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.