Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LPG conversion for Subaru Outback '05

LPG conversion for Subaru Outback '05

Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice
Default LPG conversion for Subaru Outback '05

No, it's not a for sale ad. Has anyone had fitted an LPG conversion to their Subaru - or any make of car for that matter.

Our Outback returns an average of 8.5 litres per 100km on petrol and considering the 4WD, auto 'box and the weight of the thing it's quite good for a 2.5 litre. But running it on LPG would reduce the cost of the weekly fill, but as I understand it economy would also be reduced to about 9.5 litres per 100km.

Has anyone any experience of an LPG conversion?

Paul.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LPG conversion for Subaru Outback '05

We wanted one doing on our 2 cars but were told that they were to young and there wasn't a kit available yet
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PC Pom
Has anyone any experience of an LPG conversion?
Not a conversion, but the car I drive was LPG from day one.

It's a Ford Falcon with a 4litre lump.

It has a 100 litre capacity and I get about 600 k's to a tank.

$69 a tank full at the moment.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to get a ute converted, there is a tank shortage the fitters claim they cant get tanks, and if they can they then have a 2/3 month wait to fit the thing. Costs about $3400 now was around $2000 prior to the gov rebate. Beware of hidden costs too, most wanted more on top to adjust the muffler.

We were told the fuel consumption is generally 30% worse than petrol think even the RACQ said that.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Tried to get a ute converted, there is a tank shortage the fitters claim they cant get tanks, and if they can they then have a 2/3 month wait to fit the thing. Costs about $3400 now was around $2000 prior to the gov rebate. Beware of hidden costs too, most wanted more on top to adjust the muffler.

We were told the fuel consumption is generally 30% worse than petrol think even the RACQ said that.
Don't think it is 30 % worse but i get approx 450km on about 52 ltrs on LPG, on petrol i get about 500km on 55 ltrs on my Triton Ute, The big difference 1 tank costs about $33 to fill twice a week and the other about $88 once a month to 6 weeks. I like to see the ltrs clock up before the dollars on the pumps

John

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jun 21st 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:01 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I put in 40 litres of LPG in my 4.0 fairmont and got about 300 k's out of it...cost $25

Dunno if this is any good

Lee
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:10 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Not a conversion, but the car I drive was LPG from day one.

It's a Ford Falcon with a 4litre lump.

It has a 100 litre capacity and I get about 600 k's to a tank.

$69 a tank full at the moment.
I'm not very good at maths but i think thats about the same on economy as me ( same car .. same size engine )

Lee
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. From what I've gathered somewhere in the region of 10% to 30% reduction in fuel economy is not uncommon. This does negate some of the price difference at the pumps, of course, but not enough to make fitment an impractical proposition.

I haven't heard back from Subaru yet. I will let you know what they say when I do, if anthing for the benefit of Subaru Outback drivers.

Another consideration, and I'd like anyone's input on this the Outback, for those that don't know, is a station wagon (estate) car. Saloon cars have their tank installed behind the rear passenger seat or sometimes in the spare wheel well if it's big enough (unlucky if you have a space saver spare). The Outback doesn't have a space saver, so the 'hole' is huge, but so is the tyre and wheel that comes out of it. If the tank is placed behind the seats it's a stupid place to have it because it's on show and defeats the idea of having a 'wagon that carries stuff that requires the back seat to fold down flat. The saloon has the advantage that it's not a 'wagon and it has a handy boot lid to deter onlookers and the heat of the sun. Should I be concerned? Are there any LPG fitters on this board?

Cheers

Paul
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PC Pom
Thanks for your replies. From what I've gathered somewhere in the region of 10% to 30% reduction in fuel economy is not uncommon. This does negate some of the price difference at the pumps, of course, but not enough to make fitment an impractical proposition.

I haven't heard back from Subaru yet. I will let you know what they say when I do, if anthing for the benefit of Subaru Outback drivers.

Another consideration, and I'd like anyone's input on this the Outback, for those that don't know, is a station wagon (estate) car. Saloon cars have their tank installed behind the rear passenger seat or sometimes in the spare wheel well if it's big enough (unlucky if you have a space saver spare). The Outback doesn't have a space saver, so the 'hole' is huge, but so is the tyre and wheel that comes out of it. If the tank is placed behind the seats it's a stupid place to have it because it's on show and defeats the idea of having a 'wagon that carries stuff that requires the back seat to fold down flat. The saloon has the advantage that it's not a 'wagon and it has a handy boot lid to deter onlookers and the heat of the sun. Should I be concerned? Are there any LPG fitters on this board?

Cheers

Paul
My wagon has 2 x 50 litre tanks under the rear, spare wheel in the the back of the car, but still heaps of space! ...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I'm not very good at maths but i think thats about the same on economy as me ( same car .. same size engine )

Lee
Yeah give or take!