Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Hi all not sure if this is the right forum or thread to ask these questions as it covers a few different areas.

I Hope someone can help....

How long does a 457 take and a fast track one?

How much does a teacher earn in Sydney and what are the hours benefits?

If I have a baby whilst there do I need medical cover, how much is it and what would a birth cost? (non private hospital)

How much does state school or Kindi cost if on a 457? or PR?

Is a salary of 130k plus super ok for Sydney? (salary of a civil engineer aged 30) and is a car usual or do you supply your own? (or should I say what is a decent salary for a family of 4 used to a smallish villa, one spouse working so no childcare, one car and using public transport)

How much is a 3 bed apartment near parks or a 3 bed house/villa with small garden somewhere mixed but reasonably safe and nice. Where would you say is suitable?

Can you get the above on near public transport links? What is the price?

What is public transport like with kids (0-3 years)

Is there a good community for stay at home MOMS?

Are there any good golf courses? What price to play and/or be a member?

How much to furnish a 3 bed place with reasonably nice yet cheap furniture and white goods? (thinking of the higher Ikea prices for an eg) Is 11k enough?

How does Sydney compare to Dubai (if you know)

What bills are there to pay monthly, water electric council tax or govt tax?

What kind of things surprised you about being an expat?

Any HUGE cultural differences (been in Dubai 3 years originally from UK)...

Thanks sooooooo much in advance, feel free to offer any advice or redirect me if I am posting in the wrong places.....

Plantpot xxxxx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Check out some of the other threads- eg. cost of living in Sydney! 130k plus super is fine to live on, that's roughly what we will be on when we go in August. Rent for a while till you get some idea of what places are like- ranges from 500 -700 dollars per week for 3 bed house in a nice area. Cheaper in areas like south of Sydney, but you have airport noise. Transport is quite good- cheaper than here.
Caroline
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:22 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

plantpot, I will be amazed if anyone answers this one.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Originally Posted by markallwood
plantpot, I will be amazed if anyone answers this one.

Why? Have I posted on the wrong forum?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

State school fees in NSW on a 457 are $4500 per year per child.

Maybe you could narrow down a few areas for advice. Sydney is such a huge place with very different price ranges. Where will you be working?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
State school fees in NSW on a 457 are $4500 per year per child.

Maybe you could narrow down a few areas for advice. Sydney is such a huge place with very different price ranges. Where will you be working?
Thanks for that about schools, hadn't quite realised it was so huge. Still to find out where I we will work but does it mean if for example we worked in the South we would need to live in the South and not in the north or would a commute be out of question?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a teaching job in Sydney isnt easy unless you are prepared to do the hard yards in the Western suburbs and then you may get a plum job several years down the track. There are areas where $130k would make you comfortably off but, equally, you may not want to live in those areas. If you are on a 457 then I think you would have to have insurance to bear the cost of having a baby - I'm not quite sure how far the reciprocal arrangement stretches but I dont think they would be too happy with it as "necessary medical treatment", you may want to check that out before you commit yourself.

Public transport with small children - hmmm, probably not something that you will relish. Sydney has trains and buses and the thought of dragging kids all over with either of them doesnt exactly fill me with excitement although I am sure it is possible. Australia is home of the two income families and if Sydney is anything like Canberra, the chances are that everyone is working so hard to make ends meet that both parents will be out at work which doesnt augur well for socializing with other young mums - you may find an enclave of SAHMs though I guess.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

You would not want to commute from North to South or vice-versa. There are good train lines into the city but only along limited suburbs. It all depends on where you will work and what your budget is. I can give you info on the North Shore and Northern Beaches but do not know much about the south. I have heard Sutherland is nice and all of the Eastern suburbs but they are expensive. North Shore, northern beaches are all great but again very expensive. The hills districts are supposed to be great but I don't think transport into the city is particularly good which is why they are more affordable. I personally wouldn't venture out too far west as this contains the less desirable areas.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Getting a teaching job in Sydney isnt easy unless you are prepared to do the hard yards in the Western suburbs and then you may get a plum job several years down the track. There are areas where $130k would make you comfortably off but, equally, you may not want to live in those areas. If you are on a 457 then I think you would have to have insurance to bear the cost of having a baby - I'm not quite sure how far the reciprocal arrangement stretches but I dont think they would be too happy with it as "necessary medical treatment", you may want to check that out before you commit yourself.

Public transport with small children - hmmm, probably not something that you will relish. Sydney has trains and buses and the thought of dragging kids all over with either of them doesnt exactly fill me with excitement although I am sure it is possible. Australia is home of the two income families and if Sydney is anything like Canberra, the chances are that everyone is working so hard to make ends meet that both parents will be out at work which doesnt augur well for socializing with other young mums - you may find an enclave of SAHMs though I guess.
Thanks for that, do you mean 130k is only enough to live comfortably in not so nice areas??

Have you done the public transport with Kids in Sydney? I have done it in London and find it no problem...but Sydney may be different.....IS it easy enough to travel around?

I am not really that young (lol) but have a young child hence not working yet....

Is there no shortage of teachers? I did read on the NSW website (gov one) that there was a shortage of English and Drama teachers but that might be out of date? Does anyone 'know' anyone in education or any teachers I could maybe chat to?

Are we naive to think we could live on 130k in somewhere like Sydney? We live a fairly simple life and have no outgoings in the Uk as we rent our property.

Thanks again all for your answers I appreciate you taking the time to answer!
PP xx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
You would not want to commute from North to South or vice-versa. There are good train lines into the city but only along limited suburbs. It all depends on where you will work and what your budget is. I can give you info on the North Shore and Northern Beaches but do not know much about the south. I have heard Sutherland is nice and all of the Eastern suburbs but they are expensive. North Shore, northern beaches are all great but again very expensive. The hills districts are supposed to be great but I don't think transport into the city is particularly good which is why they are more affordable. I personally wouldn't venture out too far west as this contains the less desirable areas.
Thanks again, would love some info on Northern Shore and Northern beaches, maybe rental prices 2/3 bed (not too tiny with a small garden?/park nearby (poss to buy prices? IS this poss on a 457?)

In the Hill districts is there plenty to do? We are def not party animals and require, parks, beach (maybe 20 mins away by car) golf courses not miles away a few nice shops and not much else.....

If you lived in Hill district or Northern shores/beaches could you survive without a car? Would you venture into Sydney itself (the city)....

And finally is it easy to make friends? We are very sociable and open....

PP xx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi plantpot - most of these questions have been answered umpteen times but I know the Search function has been a bit wobbly lately so hopefully people will take pity on you and try to answer or at least suggest some sites you might find useful. I can't answer many of them I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by plantpot
Hi all not sure if this is the right forum or thread to ask these questions as it covers a few different areas.

I Hope someone can help....

How long does a 457 take and a fast track one?
Ours took 20 days in April 2008 but it was a very straightforward situation.

How much does a teacher earn in Sydney and what are the hours benefits?

If I have a baby whilst there do I need medical cover, how much is it and what would a birth cost? (non private hospital)

How much does state school or Kindi cost if on a 457? or PR?

Is a salary of 130k plus super ok for Sydney? (salary of a civil engineer aged 30) and is a car usual or do you supply your own? (or should I say what is a decent salary for a family of 4 used to a smallish villa, one spouse working so no childcare, one car and using public transport)

Personally think this is a bit tight for a family of 4 in Sydney, but others will tell you it's fine. You may need to live in the burbs but with a family you probably want to anyway. Don't understimate the tax.

How much is a 3 bed apartment near parks or a 3 bed house/villa with small garden somewhere mixed but reasonably safe and nice. Where would you say is suitable?

The Hills area often gets a mention. Never been so can't comment.

Can you get the above on near public transport links? What is the price?

What is public transport like with kids (0-3 years)

Is there a good community for stay at home MOMS?

Are there any good golf courses? What price to play and/or be a member?

How much to furnish a 3 bed place with reasonably nice yet cheap furniture and white goods? (thinking of the higher Ikea prices for an eg) Is 11k enough?

Brought our furniture with us. Check Ikea site, also freedom.com.au for furniture. Prices of white goods surprised me but then I haven't bought any for many years. Check The Good Guys, Bing Lee, AppliancesOnline, etc.

How does Sydney compare to Dubai (if you know)

Slightly less sand (Sorry, no idea.)

What bills are there to pay monthly, water electric council tax or govt tax?

Search here for "Cost of Living Sydney" - I just checked and it works.

What kind of things surprised you about being an expat?

I don't think as an "Expat", I just move countries.

Any HUGE cultural differences (been in Dubai 3 years originally from UK)...

From UK to Oz? I doubt it but I've been in Asia for 6 years until recently so not best person to comment.

Thanks sooooooo much in advance, feel free to offer any advice or redirect me if I am posting in the wrong places.....

Plantpot xxxxx

edit: I took so long answering that other people did help you out.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:38 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Have I posted on the wrong forum?
No, not at all...

If you look at most other threads, you'll see that people typically ask one or two questions at a time.

You have bucked that trend somewhat by asking 29. and I can't answer any of them ! hee hee....

If people don't end up answering all your queries, try using the "search this forum" box, and also try posting only or two questions at a time !!!

good luck !
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:40 am
Account Open

Are we naive to think we could live on 130k in somewhere like Sydney?
hi, if you reckon that you could live on £60-£65k in London, then you should be fine.

cheers
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Lots of Random Qs Re Sydney and possible move

Originally Posted by markallwood
hi, if you reckon that you could live on £60-£65k in London, then you should be fine.

cheers
Ooooops sorry about all the questions, was thinking more that people could pick and choose and answer a couple that they knew....post too much on expat dubai sites....

65k in London!!!!! Wooooo hoooooo, I spose depends where you would live 65k in Dubai gives you a reasonable life and rental is waaay more expensive than Sydney!!!

Like anywhere depends on you, what you want and what you are used etc etc...

We are fairly average people who just want a different perspective nd country after a few years in DUbai...so want somehwere nicish to live, don't mind ethnically mixed places as long as safe and low crime (well relatively)...

BTW we are a family of 3 two adults one child but wanted to know if we were to have another how it might impact financially!!!

Thanks again for you answers
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

You could not live in the Hills district or the Northern beaches without a car as there are no train lines (well I couldn't anyway) unless you were happy never to leave your suburb. You may be able to manage it on the Lower North Shore as you are so close to the city but it is quite spread out so would be unlikely you would live close enough to schools, shops etc to do without one. For a 3 bed house (small) in this area you would be looking at low millions and you don't get much for your money. Rentals would be about 900 per week. The previous poster was right. Think London prices and add a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.