Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

looks like we are going back to the uk

looks like we are going back to the uk

Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough
Unhappy looks like we are going back to the uk

Well my hubby cant find a new sponsership so it look likes we will have to go back to the uk, hubby is a plasterer and he has tried to get another sponsership but no one wants to know, i really dont want to go back as I am settled here but Andrew really hates his job here and he is so unhappy.
I would welcome any help from you fellow brits.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looks like we are going back to the uk

I can offer no help but I can offer sympathy. What a ghastly situation to be in. Hope someone can offer you useful advice.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the derbys
Well my hubby cant find a new sponsership so it look likes we will have to go back to the uk, hubby is a plasterer and he has tried to get another sponsership but no one wants to know, i really dont want to go back as I am settled here but Andrew really hates his job here and he is so unhappy.
I really do feel for you.I asked a couple of friends for you but to no avail yet.I hope something comes up for you.Can your huband be persuaded to hang in there a bit longer.Im sure its tough.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:12 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Keep on trying, something will turn up. It's only been a few weeks. I really do hope some thing turns up for you. Can you try other parts of Oz just to keep your options open.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry that this has happened to you - it is really sad when one of you is settled here and the other is struggling. It must really be the pits when you are dependent upon sponsorship which goes wrong. {{{hugs}}}
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:12 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't offer anything but sympathy, I'm afraid... but I do know that sometimes, it's not all about the shitty job and places take a little more settling into and people take a lot of settling in some circumstances.

Don't throw it all in yet... wait, keep schtum on the job, do it, go home, get paid... carry on looking for something new. Shit happens, it doesn't all work out straight away, but I suspect you put too much into getting here just to throw it all in over a job that doesn't suit.

Look at all the alternatives. I have no idea how it works but can you transfer to a diff visa classification? How about starting a new business if you do that? People always need plasterers.
Network, speak to other plasterers, join the local tradies associations and start handing out contact details... Get in touch with the local council and ask about 'Round Table' sort of associations where business people gather for talks and lunches... Fidn out who's responsible for small business and go meet them, ask them for recommendations of companies... explain your situation. They might be able to help.
Push and push. Don't take 'no' from a telephone call... drop a letter and resume in too, in case they change their mind. At least they have you on record.
Aussies love a trier...
All I can say is don't give up. Keep chipping away at the rockface until you get what you want.
You've come to far to spit the dummy over a job. It's not all about him, it's about you all.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Aug 20th 2008 at 11:14 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I can't offer anything but sympathy, I'm afraid... but I do know that sometimes, it's not all about the shitty job and places take a little more settling into and people take a lot of settling in some circumstances.

Don't throw it all in yet... wait, keep schtum on the job, do it, go home, get paid... carry on looking for something new. Shit happens, it doesn't all work out straight away, but I suspect you put too much into getting here just to throw it all in over a job that doesn't suit.

Look at all the alternatives. I have no idea how it works but can you transfer to a diff visa classification? How about starting a new business if you do that? People always need plasterers.
Network, speak to other plasterers, join the local tradies associations and start handing out contact details... Get in touch with the local council and ask about 'Round Table' sort of associations where business people gather for talks and lunches... Fidn out who's responsible for small business and go meet them, ask them for recommendations of companies... explain your situation. They might be able to help.
Push and push. Don't take 'no' from a telephone call... drop a letter and resume in too, in case they change their mind. At least they have you on record.
Aussies love a trier...
All I can say is don't give up. Keep chipping away at the rockface until you get what you want.
You've come to far to spit the dummy over a job. It's not all about him, it's about you all.
Just to echo what TP said. Hang in there for a while longer. Viewing the situation from an alternative sponsors perspective, and you might see why they're currently unwilling to offer any help; you've really only just arrived and yet your already making plans to switch jobs/sponsors or failing that head back to the UK. If they were to sponsor you, whose to say the same thing won't happen again. Get your head down, keep you gob shut and reassess where you are in six months time. Tradies are a closed shop and word sharp gets round on those who fit in and those who don't. As TP says, you need to keep chipping away, do that and you'll make a life for yourself out here. Also remember the reasons for wanting to come here in the first place, at least some of those must still hold true.

On the other hand you can always chuck it all in, and return to Stockton-on-Tees. I think you get my drift.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by spartacus
Just to echo what TP said. Hang in there for a while longer. Viewing the situation from an alternative sponsors perspective, and you might see why they're currently unwilling to offer any help; you've really only just arrived and yet your already making plans to switch jobs/sponsors or failing that head back to the UK. If they were to sponsor you, whose to say the same thing won't happen again. Get your head down, keep you gob shut and reassess where you are in six months time. Tradies are a closed shop and word sharp gets round on those who fit in and those who don't. As TP says, you need to keep chipping away, do that and you'll make a life for yourself out here. Also remember the reasons for wanting to come here in the first place, at least some of those must still hold true.

On the other hand you can always chuck it all in, and return to Stockton-on-Tees. I think you get my drift.
They're from Stockton?

Keep going, Derby clan. Don't give in! If you're from SOT, you know how to kick butt.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
They're from Stockton?

Keep going, Derby clan. Don't give in! If you're from SOT, you know how to kick butt.
Exactly.

The view over Billingham on a November afternoon, can be a great motivator.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by spartacus
Exactly.

The view over Billingham on a November afternoon, can be a great motivator.
My sister taught at a SOT school once. It nearly destroyed her. But they had a nice house up there, so it's not all bad, but there were places that you wouldn't want to be in.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I know some friends who were in a similar situation in NZ a couple of months ago - they decided to return to the UK and now totally regret that decision. Hang in there a few more weeks if you can.............
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the derbys
Byed your time at the moment and hopefully something will come up later.
I know full well how scary it seems at the time as we have had this through work happen to us twice ping ponging.
And to this day i regret coming back as now it looks like we will never get time to move back, as our visas run out soon and circumstances with children change.
I can only wish you the best and hope you hang in there.