Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice re best laptop

Looking for advice re best laptop

Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice re best laptop

You have Chromecast now, which does all the wireless stuff for Windows/Android. I believe it supports Apple too actually. Sonos is best for music.

Fact is the differences between apple and android/windows is pretty marginal these days. There is no clear 'winner' ,it comes down to personal preference. You find people who love both and people who have had issues with both.

I personally dislike apple due to their ethos but have given up caring about it really. The fanboys on both sides are pretty pathetic it must be said.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
You have Chromecast now, which does all the wireless stuff for Windows/Android. I believe it supports Apple too actually. Sonos is best for music.
I'd pretty much discounted Chromecast due to all the restriction that I have posted about re Australian content, getting Netlfix etc. But I was reading yesterday that it now has the ability to cast an exact replica of your Android phone display. That is a great function to enable you to quickly view your phone's photos, videos, other content

I'll probably get one now given its cost and evolving capabilities
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Music is an interesting one... for stored music an Ipod classic surely has to be the way to go... over 120 gigs on mine. When it comes to broadcasting new music around the home, then youtube is very capable, especially if you have a decent home network. Youtube has content that you'll never get on Spotify or other streamers. In fact if you cant find it on Spotify.... then look on youtube and it almost certainly will be there.

You can put a 250gig mini harddrive in a ipod classic.

Got to admit I dont like Itunes, but for convienent large offline capacity storage then the ipod classic is still worth having to use Itunes.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 15th 2014 at 1:16 am.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 1:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Music is an interesting one... for stored music an Ipod classic surely has to be the way to go... over 120 gigs on mine. When it comes to broadcasting new music around the home, then youtube is very capable, especially if you have a decent home network. Youtube has content that you'll never get on Spotify or other streamers. In fact if you cant find it on Spotify.... then look on youtube and it almost certainly will be there.

You can put a 250gig mini harddrive in a ipod classic.

Got to admit I dont like Itunes, but for convienent large offline capacity storage then the ipod classic is still worth having to use Itunes.

Since I got Spotify I've never looked back. For $12 a month I can listen to basically everything that has ever been made. You can download songs for when you are out of wifi coverage, but with the 3.2Gb of 4G that I now get with Virgin, I can listen via that

You can create playlists and set up radio stations that will play what you like to hear. Fantastic

Pandora is good too and I now get streaming music with Amazon Prime

itunes is one of the biggest cons/contempt for their sheep (aka customers) of modern times
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Since I got Spotify I've never looked back. For $12 a month I can listen to basically everything that has ever been made. You can download songs for when you are out of wifi coverage, but with the 3.2Gb of 4G that I now get with Virgin, I can listen via that
I'm with you in the Spotify thing but I've found that there are quite a few tracks that appear to be available to the US but not available to Australia for licensing reasons which I find annoying. Also some labels put their stuff out on Rdio but not Spotify and vice versa. On the whole Spotify (or similar music streaming services) is the way of the future.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
I'm with you in the Spotify thing but I've found that there are quite a few tracks that appear to be available to the US but not available to Australia for licensing reasons which I find annoying. Also some labels put their stuff out on Rdio but not Spotify and vice versa. On the whole Spotify (or similar music streaming services) is the way of the future.
I've never experienced that but would be annoyed if I did, and I know that there is some stuff (like Led Zappelin I believe) that is not available on Spotify

I'll have to see what is available on Amazon Prime
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've never experienced that but would be annoyed if I did, and I know that there is some stuff (like Led Zappelin I believe) that is not available on Spotify

I'll have to see what is available on Amazon Prime
If you use some of the excellent apps that Spotify has you see it quite a lot.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Hmm massive lack of understanding of Apple devices. Also, streaming movies to a TV is mostly done wirelessly these days. Of course the MacBook Air can do it via cable as well. Your gripe might be the required adapter for this but these thunderbolt ports are far more versatile, not to mention super fast, than a HDMI port. Apple TV is not required to stream either. An such as plex is mac compatible and free. It can stream to any DLNA device, even tv's directly. I'm currently watching Noah this way to my Bravia.

I work in IT and have supported Windows OS's for far too long. OSX as a consumer platform is as good as anything Microsoft have ever released. Many people are opposed to Apple products because they see the trap of their ecosystem and would rather a much wider scope of options. Well, I really don't know what is missing as, from a Mac perspective, most peripherals are Mac compatible, it's easy to dual boot a Mac and OSX is just simply nicer to use than Windows 8 which just seems to me like its. Tablet OS that's just awkward to use as a laptop/desktop. Unless you're ok with constant finger prints over your screen.

I don't really understand the gripe on Apple devices working together. They do it as good if not better than other vendors do it. Samsung devices working with their tv's is a scam. They can't compete with Apple in this regard. Neither can Sony. So
If it works so well, what's the problem? It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head when you go to buy an iPhone and so you walk out with the works.
I know we are focusing on home use here, or at least the OP is, but how would you go swapping your work over to a Apple environment. How many apps would not run?

I have never said Apple is not easy to use. That was always the ethos of Apple - ease of use, bring it easily to the consumer. And that in itself should be admired.

Apples competitors are coming out with the whole "ease of use" thing now and leaving the flexibility with it. What was Apple for home, Windows for office is no longer the case.

BTW - desperate times call for desperate measures.

Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Trade-In Program to Australia - Mac Rumors

When Apple's current user base looks for an upgrade, they have options now. They have no new products, so how to keep them in the ecosystem and get them coming into the stores?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

Fact is the differences between apple and android/windows is pretty marginal these days. There is no clear 'winner' ,it comes down to personal preference. You find people who love both and people who have had issues with both.

I personally dislike apple due to their ethos but have given up caring about it really. The fanboys on both sides are pretty pathetic it must be said.
I did read, you can order a Roku Streamer from the US (similar to Chromecast) and during installation, register on the UK site, where it picks up a UK IP address and there's your BBC iplayer streaming.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
I did read, you can order a Roku Streamer from the US (similar to Chromecast) and during installation, register on the UK site, where it picks up a UK IP address and there's your BBC iplayer streaming.
It's not that simple unfortunately (see my thread on streaming)

The US and UK Rokus are different. You need a US-sourced Roku to get US content and the same for the UK version

The US Roku now has hard-coded Google DNS so you need to do a static route on your router - which was a pain for me (others have had no problems). The UK model is still okay

I've stopped using my US Roku but continue to use my UK one

I still maintain the best way to get IP TV locally is a Samsung BR player (or TV) with Smarthub
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pretty much discounted Chromecast due to all the restriction that I have posted about re Australian content, getting Netlfix etc. But I was reading yesterday that it now has the ability to cast an exact replica of your Android phone display. That is a great function to enable you to quickly view your phone's photos, videos, other content

I'll probably get one now given its cost and evolving capabilities
I didn't get Chromecast because you told me not too.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I didn't get Chromecast because you told me not too.
Don't believe any of the shite I write on here!

You've done the right thing with the Samsung

The Chrome is okay but is not there yet - I wouldn't be using it to try and get Netflix or iplayer. I bought one today to have a play around with ($43 in JB)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I know we are focusing on home use here, or at least the OP is, but how would you go swapping your work over to a Apple environment. How many apps would not run?

I have never said Apple is not easy to use. That was always the ethos of Apple - ease of use, bring it easily to the consumer. And that in itself should be admired.

Apples competitors are coming out with the whole "ease of use" thing now and leaving the flexibility with it. What was Apple for home, Windows for office is no longer the case.

BTW - desperate times call for desperate measures.

Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Trade-In Program to Australia - Mac Rumors

When Apple's current user base looks for an upgrade, they have options now. They have no new products, so how to keep them in the ecosystem and get them coming into the stores?
Just as easy to switch to an Mac at home when you need to keep working. Most places offer published applications via VPN. There is really no restriction.

The 'ease of use' thing is done best on Apple. But the devices working together is in a different league on Apple. AirPlay being the best example. Chrome aft, Roku, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft. None of them do it as flawless as Apple do. That's probably why there are more airplay devices coming on the market.

Apple have always done the trade in offer, just not for iPhones/iPads in Australia. This is great news and I have no idea why you'd mock it. It beats all these millions of phones lying around and probably getting disposed of incorrectly.

What is the inflexibility problem you have with Mac's?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Just as easy to switch to an Mac at home when you need to keep working. Most places offer published applications via VPN. There is really no restriction.

The 'ease of use' thing is done best on Apple. But the devices working together is in a different league on Apple. AirPlay being the best example. Chrome aft, Roku, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft. None of them do it as flawless as Apple do. That's probably why there are more airplay devices coming on the market.

Apple have always done the trade in offer, just not for iPhones/iPads in Australia. This is great news and I have no idea why you'd mock it. It beats all these millions of phones lying around and probably getting disposed of incorrectly.

What is the inflexibility problem you have with Mac's?
Well for starters I can't install any of my work applications the Apple OS. Therefore from a work point of view its out. I have a Samsung phone, so does the wife who was an avid iphone user for years. She hasn't looked back. I can charge my phone with an array of cables and other mini usb plugs. Which means I don't have to go out ans buy more power leads. I could keep going but there's good news for you ..........

I read today that apple are teaming up with IBM to break in the business market. ..... I guess the consumer market is hitting the wall. Everyone else is figuring out how to do consumer 'ease of use' and apple may have figured out how to take 'ease of use' to the business market.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well for starters I can't install any of my work applications the Apple OS. Therefore from a work point of view its out. I have a Samsung phone, so does the wife who was an avid iphone user for years. She hasn't looked back. I can charge my phone with an array of cables and other mini usb plugs. Which means I don't have to go out ans buy more power leads. I could keep going but there's good news for you ..........

I read today that apple are teaming up with IBM to break in the business market. ..... I guess the consumer market is hitting the wall. Everyone else is figuring out how to do consumer 'ease of use' and apple may have figured out how to take 'ease of use' to the business market.
Amazing really, since IBM were the founders of the business PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.