Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice re best laptop

Looking for advice re best laptop

Old Jul 12th 2014, 4:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice re best laptop

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like W8.1

Works well (especially after the latest upgrade) and is better that W7 IMO
Ah okay, maybe it's just people resisting change. Says I who took XP right up to the bitter end.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Ah okay, maybe it's just people resisting change. Says I who took XP right up to the bitter end.
I like Windows 8.1. My main problem on the laptop is deciding where to default to the Win7 type interface or defaulting to the metro. You can choose either one.

Its a no brainer over windows 7. It starts up like lightning and once in you start typing the app you want rather than fishing around for that icon or Start > Programs > Rubbish.

On the tablet its the best interface by a million miles at the moment.

I would advise against resisting change with regards to Windows OS. Go straight to 8.1
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I like Windows 8.1. My main problem on the laptop is deciding where to default to the Win7 type interface or defaulting to the metro. You can choose either one.

Its a no brainer over windows 7. It starts up like lightning and once in you start typing the app you want rather than fishing around for that icon or Start > Programs > Rubbish.

On the tablet its the best interface by a million miles at the moment.

I would advise against resisting change with regards to Windows OS. Go straight to 8.1
Everything here is Win 7 except for the old XP netbook that I use for infrequent travelling/fallback purposes. The netbook doesn't have enough grunt to upgrade to a later Win OS, so I'll switch it over to a Linux based one when I get around to it. Otherwise, we'll probably skip Win 8/8.1 altogether mostly because what we currently have can outlive it.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Everything here is Win 7 except for the old XP netbook that I use for infrequent travelling/fallback purposes. The netbook doesn't have enough grunt to upgrade to a later Win OS, so I'll switch it over to a Linux based one when I get around to it. Otherwise, we'll probably skip Win 8/8.1 altogether mostly because what we currently have can outlive it.
Sounds like what you currently have is dead already.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:20 pm
Banned

Sounds like what you currently have is dead already.
The netbook?
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The netbook?
Pop that on the front lawn .... should be some elses problem not long after the school run is finished.

I haven't checked the cost of an upgrade to Win 8 from 7 but if its not that much then I'd recommend moving forward. You never know when a Microsoft will release 9. Microsoft don't commit to exact release cycles.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 11:04 pm
Banned

Pop that on the front lawn .... should be some elses problem not long after the school run is finished.

I haven't checked the cost of an upgrade to Win 8 from 7 but if its not that much then I'd recommend moving forward. You never know when a Microsoft will release 9. Microsoft don't commit to exact release cycles.
To some extent I agree with you regarding the netbook. If my time is money, it's far more cost effective to scrap and replace the old kit than it is to back up the files and fart around installing and configuring a free OS, etc on it.

Edit: But if only things were as easy as that. I'm hardwired to improvise, reuse and make do. ...You should see what my garage looks like

Last edited by paulry; Jul 12th 2014 at 11:22 pm. Reason: added more ramblings
Old Jul 12th 2014, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To some extent I agree with you regarding the netbook. If my time is money, it's far more cost effective to scrap and replace the old kit than it is to back up the files and fart around installing and configuring a free OS, etc on it.

Edit: But if only things were as easy as that. I'm hardwired to improvise, reuse and make do. ...You should see what my garage looks like
ah you are a hoarder. So am I. A recent move forced me to throw out so much stuff, including 3 laptops, 2 desktops, and a monitor. I actually felt liberated.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 11:58 pm
Banned

ah you are a hoarder. So am I. A recent move forced me to throw out so much stuff, including 3 laptops, 2 desktops, and a monitor. I actually felt liberated.
Yes, it does feel liberating but it's also rewarding to have just the thing you need to fix a problem tucked away ready for use in the garage. But admittedly, old computer stuff is rarely re-usable.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Macbook Air...class leading laptop with 12 hour battery life, "extremely" light, starts up in 1 second, great back lit keyboard, fast SSD and fast "ac" Wifi support, very quiet, well designed, great multi touch trackpad which supports gestures. It has won all sorts of "best overall laptop" awards.

It also has great software builtin for home use:

- iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand (editing photos, movies and making music)
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote (letters, spreadsheets and presentations)
- iBooks, iTunes, Mac App Store (book store, music, podcasts, university courses, movies, tv shows, software)
- Facetime, Messages (skype style messaging and sms)
- Time Machine (awesome drip feed wireless backup)
- Photo Booth (for crazy photos - kids love it)
- Maps, Calendar, Reminders, Contacts, Mail (for syncing with phone, OS even includes swipe left phone style notification centre built-in, built in facebook, flickr and twitter integration throughout the OS etc )
- The operating system has advanced battery saving techniques like shutting down window processing when it is covered by another window.

Also OS X makes useful things really easy like:

- Sending your desktop to the telly using apple tv (for skype, movies, photos etc),
- Sending music to speakers around your house.
- Backing up and restoring your files...time machine is great, you visually fly through time to pick old files to restore.
- Mac App Store really good for discovering, buying and keeping software up to date
- Powernap auto updates your software overnight when your laptop is asleep
- Multi touch trackpad and keyboard is a real pleasure to use
- keychain and safari have built in password management to keep track of all those passwords.
- if you have an iPhone you can soon ring directly from your Mac and it will use any iPhone it finds lying around the house to ring or sms people on any network directly from the computer - you can answer sms and phone calls on the computer as well)

You can get a 11in refurb starting at $889: MacBook Air 11" - Apple Store (Australia)

You also get fantastic service hands-on service at your local Apple store. Had some really great fast, hands on service that can be very hard to find with some brands.

Of course the only downside is learning a different operating system but it is worth taking the leap imo...apple run free classes at the Apple store...it really is great for home use. All Macs will also run MS Windows OS out of the box. You can switch between Mac OS X and Windows whenever you want.

If you want to stick with windows a mate at work has a surface pro and he really likes it once he got over the learning hump....think new models are out/coming out soon ?

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 13th 2014 at 1:17 am.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The netbook?
I'm still using a 7 year old Asus Netbook running W7

Great little computer
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm still using a 7 year old Asus Netbook running W7

Great little computer
Which one?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Which one?
Eee 900 series
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Windows 8 or 8.1 is thankfully faster then Win7 on the same hardware. Not much difference between 8 or 8.1.

Windows 8/8.1 has a bit of a cryptic interface but once you get used to it, it's ok.
Thanks Alfresco. I think I'm just going to have to get over myself re learning new techy things
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
* Decloaking to answer question, since you have no PM *

Be sure you actually need a laptop before getting into the $1500 lark. Most of your use cases can be handled without the expense/weight of a laptop today.

Firstly, you are ground zero for the benefits of a small tablet. I know you don't want to type long missives on one (makes sense) but add a cheap ($20) external, full size, bluetooth keyboard and most of your use cases are done - with the benefit that the tablet is much more portable (handbags, in-bed, etc.)

Second, nothing in the above really needs a fast processor. Your only reference to speed is page loads - which can better be met with decent ADSL and a 5Ghz ADSL modem/router/access point to speed the data to you (or 4G if on the road). Most people's problem is congestion in housing estates on the 2.4Ghz frequencies.

You could well do with looking at Chromebooks as well as the conventional laptops. Light, thin and cheap - they get rid of windows and have everything managed/stored online. Google Docs etc. remove the need to pay MS for Office - and the thing updates automatically.

Be aware that on the laptop front, the focus is on small, light, expensive laptops - but these have small keyboards (a 10 inch screen means an 8 inch keyboard) and often horribly bad screens. IMHO they are rarely worth the money.

You don't need to be paying $1500 - and given your usage I'd probably focus on a tablet & external keyboard combo first. The benefits of portability and all the sexy things you can do with them. Then look to the cheap laptops or chromebooks.

Oh and Win 8 is something of a dog, with the metro interface interposing itself on you. Look to Win 9 in spring 2015 to dump most of that and hopefully continue the MS that the odd numbers are the workable versions.

PS: even with coffee over it, most modern laptops have a chance of being fixed - the keyboard is usually membraned away from the rest of the hardware. Pity you binned it...
Thanks Garry, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such comprehensive info. You taught me some things I didn't know, such as being able to get an external keyboard for a tablet. I hadn't even heard of Chromebooks! But will take a look at them now.

Re the Sony, I did take it to a computer repair guy but he said it's kaput (he did say he could remove the hard drive as that was fine, but all my stuff was backed up so I didn't bother). I must admit, I really liked my Sony Vaio - no idea if they're considered to be any good but I knew what I was doing with it! It also got me out of a yuk situation with its 'assist' button.

I had some sort of hacking problem (don't know the correct term) - someone/something had gained access to my laptop while I was online and my screen was frozen, showing a 'letter from Interpol'. I wasn't overly bothered about it initially as it was obviously a scam, something about I'd been downloading all sorts of nasties but they'd unfreeze my PC if I paid blah blah blah.

I was hahaaing and pooh-poohing, until I realised that the photo on the letter was me! My webcam, which I'd never even used and had forgotten was installed, had taken a photo of me. It was a horrible feeling! Couldn't even shut down, so pressed 'assist' and took the option to restore to factory settings which fixed the problem. Bastards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.