Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice re best laptop

Looking for advice re best laptop

Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice re best laptop

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Pfft. Buy a MacBook Pro then.
I think you are offending Scouse. She hasn't been back. Might need to action the report button.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think you are offending Scouse. She hasn't been back. Might need to action the report button.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions everyone, you're good eggs. I won't be buying a Mac, but only because I've never used one and I find it hard enough these days to remember where I left my glasses, without learning new technology.

You've given me some great pointers to start with. I'll do a short list and ask for your learned opinions.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 4:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Thanks heaps for your suggestions everyone, you're good eggs. I won't be buying a Mac, but only because I've never used one and I find it hard enough these days to remember where I left my glasses, without learning new technology.

You've given me some great pointers to start with. I'll do a short list and ask for your learned opinions.
Smart move on avoiding Macs - they really are overpriced and glorified fashion accessories

Have a look at an ultrabook. They are lightweight and slim laptops without DVD drives (not a problem today) and usually have solid state hard drives. I have a Samsung but all the main brands make them
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:37 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
And now that you mention it:

Six reasons to stop buying Apple products | Features | LondonlovesBusiness.com

SoS: For the things you are looking at doing with it, you don't need to spend a mint to get a good piece of kit. My family have owned ASUS laptops in recent years and have not been disappointed yet. This ASUS Vivobook looks good for the price: Best Laptops Under $600-2014 - Best Laptop Advisor
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My Sony Vaio laptop died when I spilled coffee on it. Would appreciate advice on what to get as a replacement. I can use computers but get totally bamboozled by gigabites, ram and other assorted terms, not to mention the staggering array of brands, prices, retail stores and online shops.

My needs are fairly simple:
Laptop - I don't like using i-pads, tablets or notebooks
Relatively lightweight
Fairly fast - hate waiting ages for pages to load
Uses:
Social media, emailing, word docs and general browsing
Short (<5 min) videos, I don't watch TV or movies on it and definitely don't play games

I use a Vivid wi-fi thingy. Don't really want to pay more than $1,500, but could be persuaded (gullible, me).

Thanks
If you have accidental damage on your home insurance, you may be covered for a replacement - but for what you are looking for from a laptop you could easily pick something up for $500 in dick smiths or similar (think young sparks cost me $399 for basic acer which suits his needs)
Old Jul 12th 2014, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
And now that you mention it:

Six reasons to stop buying Apple products | Features | LondonlovesBusiness.com

SoS: For the things you are looking at doing with it, you don't need to spend a mint to get a good piece of kit. My family have owned ASUS laptops in recent years and have not been disappointed yet. This ASUS Vivobook looks good for the price: Best Laptops Under $600-2014 - Best Laptop Advisor
That must be an article from the 90's
Old Jul 12th 2014, 2:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That must be an article from the 90's
The date stamp on the article was from 2012. I've never owned an apple product and despite the "everyone is buying one" hype - especially with music players, mobile phones and tablets, I've so far resisted. Apple products have too much of the look and feel of a captive market. But happy to learn that I'm wrong - provided it doesn't hijack SoS's thread, that is.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Amazulu, Paulry and Sparkles.

Sparkles, to be honest I never even thought about trying to claim on my home insurance, which was probably a bit silly of me. Too late now, I threw it in the bin and really, it was my own fault for trying to type and drink coffee at the same time

Been searching as best I can wîth this old and bloody cantankerous tablet - I'm a bit nervous that most seem to have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I've both read and heard that some people have had difficulty when they've been used to using Windows 7.

Are Windows 8 and 8.1 really so different to 7? And is there a big difference between 8 and 8.1, in terms of ease of use for a luddite who's been used to using 7?

I must admit that I've had more than a few looks at the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I know that its specs are higher level than I need for the uses I've identified but it'll be the only computer we have (aside from the aforementioned bastard tablet) and I don't mind spending a bit more. What say you about this brand and model?
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:55 am
Concierge

The date stamp on the article was from 2012. I've never owned an apple product and despite the "everyone is buying one" hype - especially with music players, mobile phones and tablets, I've so far resisted. Apple products have too much of the look and feel of a captive market. But happy to learn that I'm wrong - provided it doesn't hijack SoS's thread, that is.
Hijack away, I might even learn something (she says with a distinct lack of conviction)
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Pfft. Buy a MacBook Pro then.
even bloody sillier..
Old Jul 12th 2014, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Sparkles, to be honest I never even thought about trying to claim on my home insurance, which was probably a bit silly of me. Too late now, I threw it in the bin and really, it was my own fault for trying to type and drink coffee at the same time

Been searching as best I can wîth this old and bloody cantankerous tablet - I'm a bit nervous that most seem to have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I've both read and heard that some people have had difficulty when they've been used to using Windows 7.

Are Windows 8 and 8.1 really so different to 7? And is there a big difference between 8 and 8.1, in terms of ease of use for a luddite who's been used to using 7?

I must admit that I've had more than a few looks at the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I know that its specs are higher level than I need for the uses I've identified but it'll be the only computer we have (aside from the aforementioned bastard tablet) and I don't mind spending a bit more. What say you about this brand and model?
Windows 8 or 8.1 is thankfully faster then Win7 on the same hardware. Not much difference between 8 or 8.1.

Windows 8/8.1 has a bit of a cryptic interface but once you get used to it, it's ok.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 2:11 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

My needs are fairly simple:
Laptop - I don't like using i-pads, tablets or notebooks
Relatively lightweight
Fairly fast - hate waiting ages for pages to load
Uses:
Social media, emailing, word docs and general browsing
Short (<5 min) videos, I don't watch TV or movies on it and definitely don't play games
* Decloaking to answer question, since you have no PM *

Be sure you actually need a laptop before getting into the $1500 lark. Most of your use cases can be handled without the expense/weight of a laptop today.

Firstly, you are ground zero for the benefits of a small tablet. I know you don't want to type long missives on one (makes sense) but add a cheap ($20) external, full size, bluetooth keyboard and most of your use cases are done - with the benefit that the tablet is much more portable (handbags, in-bed, etc.)

Second, nothing in the above really needs a fast processor. Your only reference to speed is page loads - which can better be met with decent ADSL and a 5Ghz ADSL modem/router/access point to speed the data to you (or 4G if on the road). Most people's problem is congestion in housing estates on the 2.4Ghz frequencies.

You could well do with looking at Chromebooks as well as the conventional laptops. Light, thin and cheap - they get rid of windows and have everything managed/stored online. Google Docs etc. remove the need to pay MS for Office - and the thing updates automatically.

Be aware that on the laptop front, the focus is on small, light, expensive laptops - but these have small keyboards (a 10 inch screen means an 8 inch keyboard) and often horribly bad screens. IMHO they are rarely worth the money.

You don't need to be paying $1500 - and given your usage I'd probably focus on a tablet & external keyboard combo first. The benefits of portability and all the sexy things you can do with them. Then look to the cheap laptops or chromebooks.

Oh and Win 8 is something of a dog, with the metro interface interposing itself on you. Look to Win 9 in spring 2015 to dump most of that and hopefully continue the MS that the odd numbers are the workable versions.

PS: even with coffee over it, most modern laptops have a chance of being fixed - the keyboard is usually membraned away from the rest of the hardware. Pity you binned it...
Old Jul 12th 2014, 2:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The Lenovo looks awesome

Get it

Also it's best to ignore the opinions of IT professionals when it comes to buying tech - they can only see things from their narrowly focussed viewpoint. Better to get real word opinions from users - so ask colleagues or friends and look at reviews on sites like Amazon and cnet

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 12th 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:27 pm
Banned

I've heard from a lot of people that they don't enjoy using windows 8. A pity you can't really hold out for 9 or at least a free upgrade voucher for 9.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I've heard from a lot of people that they don't enjoy using windows 8. A pity you can't really hold out for 9 or at least a free upgrade voucher for 9.
I like W8.1

Works well (especially after the latest upgrade) and is better that W7 IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.