London (Pollyanna)

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London (Pollyanna)

Originally Posted by paulry
When I was last there (end 2010) the Oyster card was only good for buses. It was daily travel cards that worked for them all provided you were "in zone" - including Docklands Light Railway. The travel card is great for blazing the tourist trail. I think it was around 12 quid for zones 1-6, will probably cost more than that now though.

The zones 1-6 daily travel card can be got from Heathrow but it's Underground only (from the airport). The good thing about this is you'll still have it for the rest of the day for out-and-about travelling. The Heathrow express is around 30 squid, if I remember correctly.

The travelcard also entitles you to a good discount on the Thames Riverbus from near Embankment to Greenwich.
Oyster is now good on the tubes and overground, you must have left as it changed cos I've had mine since 2010 and its almost solely been tube usage. Advantage over the Travelcard I guess is that it has no end date
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oyster is now good on the tubes and overground, you must have left as it changed cos I've had mine since 2010 and its almost solely been tube usage. Advantage over the Travelcard I guess is that it has no end date
Cool. I wonder how it's pricing structure works - in comparison to the old travelcards. It would be good if it auto-calcs the best price deal for you based on your usage.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I wonder how it's pricing structure works - in comparison to the old travelcards. It would be good if it auto-calcs the best price deal for you based on your usage.
Don't know, i think its just a percentage cheaper than pay per trip. Probably on the TFL website somewhere. I just like the easiness, no queuing at ticket machines!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Absolutely! I've had mine for years and always used it on the Tube. A recharge of £10 seems to last me quite a while. I tried the Overground for the first time the other day and Oyster worked on that too.

No, you can't use Oyster on the Open Top buses - they're definitely private enterprise although if you go on one of the Red buses and keep your receipt you can get quite a significant discount on the Red Bus tours in other cities.

We've used the Tower Hill Travelodge - that was pretty good but a bit more of a hassle if you're arriving straight from Heathrow.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by quoll
Absolutely! I've had mine for years and always used it on the Tube. A recharge of £10 seems to last me quite a while. I tried the Overground for the first time the other day and Oyster worked on that too.

No, you can't use Oyster on the Open Top buses - they're definitely private enterprise although if you go on one of the Red buses and keep your receipt you can get quite a significant discount on the Red Bus tours in other cities.

We've used the Tower Hill Travelodge - that was pretty good but a bit more of a hassle if you're arriving straight from Heathrow.
Credit does certainly seem to last, I've hardly ever used it for buses, all tubes an the overground and i hardly ever need to chuck cash it at. Doing Overground as well as tube is dead handy too for the Islington/kings cross end of town

My niece has just dug out her card from 2 years back, ready to meet me in London in November, she thnks its fab going everywhere by tube with just a bit of plastic, oh the enthusiasm of the young! Of course sucker Aunty tops up THAT card too!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

The travelcard also entitles you to a good discount on the Thames Riverbus from near Embankment to Greenwich.
As Polly said you can use oyster now good on tubes and overground and can also be used on the river buses and the cable car that runs from Greenwich.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We could have called our daughter Travelodge ...
It could have been worse, you could have been a fan of Swallow Hotels. !!

Last edited by TheCreature; Sep 22nd 2013 at 9:23 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
It could have been worse, you could have been a fan of Swallow Hotels. !!
Indeed, the other option, Little Chef, is also a fine name for an Native American Indian but I suspect it would not do her any favours at school ...
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Yes agreed I used my oyster card on the tubes for years, definitely since well before 2010 as I left UK then. I am going for a quick trip next month so must dig the old card out, it probably has some credit left on it if only I can find it.

I did the open top bus tour last year when we had a few days in London, even though I lived in London for many years I thought it would be a nice refresher. Anyway it was GBP27 each and was absolutely rubbish, stuck in traffic for ages and the commentary was truly appalling, I don't think they knew anything before 1980 and I know an awful lot more about where Princess Diana got her haircut and liked to buy shoes from.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:54 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes agreed I used my oyster card on the tubes for years, definitely since well before 2010 as I left UK then. I am going for a quick trip next month so must dig the old card out, it probably has some credit left on it if only I can find it.

I did the open top bus tour last year when we had a few days in London, even though I lived in London for many years I thought it would be a nice refresher. Anyway it was GBP27 each and was absolutely rubbish, stuck in traffic for ages and the commentary was truly appalling, I don't think they knew anything before 1980 and I know an awful lot more about where Princess Diana got her haircut and liked to buy shoes from.
If I recall, there was some limitation - maybe it was the trains that we couldn't use the Oyster card on... ?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've just ordered an Oyster card for my trip back in December. Been meaning to sort one out for ages.

S
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall, there was some limitation - maybe it was the trains that we couldn't use the Oyster card on... ?
Well that would be right, you definitely cannot use them on the overground train network.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Well that would be right, you definitely cannot use them on the overground train network.
You can use them on the overground in London, just not the wider rail network.

See:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Famous 5
You can use them on the overground in London, just not the wider rail network.

See:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx
Maybe that is what changed, I am sure I could not use it on my Wimbledon to City trip, but then it is 2006 since I did that particular journey.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:28 am
Banned

Maybe that is what changed, I am sure I could not use it on my Wimbledon to City trip, but then it is 2006 since I did that particular journey.
I'm fairly sure we couldn't use it any any train journeys back in 2010. About time they sorted that out because Oyster was incomplete without the inclusion of trains. I see the zones have expanded. It used to go up to 6, now it goes to 9.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.