Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

London is crap, ready to come home now!

London is crap, ready to come home now!

Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London is crap, ready to come home now!

I live in the countryside and I love it, I do regular trips to London OH has worked there for 18 years and I often meet him and we stay in the victory services club, I have had some magic experiences there, open air theatre in Hyde park the London dungeon, the Tate modern, the museums river cruises dinner and dance, Black tie dos at the hotels and a slow walk back to the hotel with all the other partygoers.

London can be awful it can also be magic
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I love London although I wouldn't choose to live there again as I have young kids and a nurses wage packet!

It certainly is dirty and overcrowded. It has a high number of criminals and undesirables. It's expensive and not particularly friendly. Whilst living there I got flashed at 3 times and assaulted twice ( not seriously, thank God!)

I still have a special place for London in my heart though.
It is vibrant, exciting and alive. You can do so many things and meet so many different types of people.

I'm off there in November to take the kids to see Joseph and The lion King and I can't wait
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:05 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Best of luck AF. I like Redhill!
Renth,

With you on this one.

And I am a Londoner, born in Waterloo (not far from the London Eye), lived in south London (Brixton) till I was 18. The riots were fun I have to say as an 11 year old, i remember us all going into school on Monday with loot, some had very expensive watches as I recall.

I used to love London but I hate the place; every now and again I take the train into London from Guildford, enjoy the journey (not peak time so get a seat) but after about 3 hours I need to get away. I do like going to Covent Garden and SANZA just to buy cherry ripes and picnics, etc etc.

But I don't miss it at all.

Some say if you tire of London you tire of life, I say whoever thought of that comment was a twat. Give me the countryside anyday!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:21 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by russmcp
Renth,

With you on this one.

And I am a Londoner, born in Waterloo (not far from the London Eye), lived in south London (Brixton) till I was 18. The riots were fun I have to say as an 11 year old, i remember us all going into school on Monday with loot, some had very expensive watches as I recall.

I used to love London but I hate the place; every now and again I take the train into London from Guildford, enjoy the journey (not peak time so get a seat) but after about 3 hours I need to get away. I do like going to Covent Garden and SANZA just to buy cherry ripes and picnics, etc etc.

But I don't miss it at all.

Some say if you tire of London you tire of life, I say whoever thought of that comment was a twat. Give me the countryside anyday!
Amen to that! Totally agree with everything you say Russ!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:07 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yes of course
Sintra
blooody awful, too many steps beer was warm the view was pants the train was slow i couldnt see the football stadium from there

but the ladeees are skinny and dark

maybe you might have done better if you had chatted' her near the shoe shops
Interesting travel writing, write a book, gotta be more interesting than Bill Byson.

You may be right (about the girl), she did seem lacking in sole.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

he is, as you say, entitled to post anything madam, im sure you will sook up anything he has to offer.

you say you dont know if he worked in london, i am surprised madam since you seem to know just about everything else.

you summed things up when you mentioned renth's calmness or rather his lack of it. im sure he will be most pleased to have one of his favorites comment on his lack of control.
dont worry, he will be home soon and you can give him some time and comfort and listen to his fables about when he braved big bad london.

just dont tread on his bottom lip!

woudy woudy woudy
You're weird
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're weird
And this stands out because?

Nippy this morning innit?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
And this stands out because?

Nippy this morning innit?
It was the first thing I read, only just woke up, seemed a bit odd

Nippy? it's piggin freezing
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:54 pm

It was the first thing I read, only just woke up, seemed a bit odd

Nippy? it's piggin freezing
Aye literally, it dipped below freezing out here and we even have a thin layer of ice in the water buckets outside.

Did I read somewhere that it was OK to leave electrical equipment like TVs outside (under cover,obviously) all year round in Queensland? Well not here it isn't! (insert 'it's a big place' disclaimer here)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Aye literally, it dipped below freezing out here and we even have a thin layer of ice in the water buckets outside.

Did I read somewhere that it was OK to leave electrical equipment like TVs outside (under cover,obviously) all year round in Queensland? Well not here it isn't! (insert 'it's a big place' disclaimer here)
Not seen ice (except in a drink obviously) for a long time. Hope it stays that way. Did you know we live in a sub tropical climate
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone mentioned it earlier, I would like to say that the Fish & Chips and the Kebabs are rubbish in London. However, fortunately, great F&C and Kebabs can be found in other parts of the UK (but not Guiseley ).

It's also worth remembering that London is a big place and has lots of different boroughs which can be completely different. I used to live in Surrey Quays which had lots of space and was really quiet as there were no major through roads. It was also close to The City and was conveniently located for Canary Wharf and Greenwich. Crime was quite bad but not that bad compared to neighbouring areas. I really liked living there but there were other parts of London that I didn't like living (namely Southgate and Wilsden Green) and there were other bits that I wouldn't live despite having higher socio-economic profiles. I loved a lot of the free stuff in London (Hampstead Heath and Black Heath, Kensington Roof Gardens, Museums, Greenwich Park, Houses of Parliament, etc.). Of the paid stuff, much of it was overpriced rubbish; but I would recommend the London Eye, Chislehurst Caves and Westminster Abbey.

On a side note, why do the Aus Knockers think that Brit Bashing is anything worse than what they do? Pots, Kettles and Black come to mind.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 12th 2007 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

hutch
honest now

it does bother me. i cant see the need for it.
let renth love aus, good luck to him, i truly hope he is happy in perth.

that said
why does legoland make london pants!
it seems like he feels the need to justify his move by slagging off london or england.

you are right in what you say of course; about it not being important in the scheme of things but then the same applies to him.

if you're honest here, you knew that renth would post like he did.

ive never been to canberra but your point is well made, ive lived in london but never in aus.
i truly hope that if i evermake it to aus, that i wont become someone who feels the need to slag off england. that is far to common on here.

let aus be good for its own sake.
If anyone wants to compare, then let it be apples with apples.

I have lived in Aus for over 20 years and I can honestly say that I love the UK, but I also love Aus as well.

Plenty of young Aussies love London, ( have you been to Earls Court and seen them all there?)

My daughter spent a couple of uni hols in London, staying with her Gold Coast pals and working for 3 months, she loved it too, and that was December/January weather.

It really isnt a competition.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You're weird
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I think yes of course is sound, but then you two think I am weird as well

I try to be a little less judgmental, and more interested in what others have to say, rather than use every attempt to put them down.But then I love people and interacting.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by auspal
I think yes of course is sound, but then you two think I am weird as well

I try to be a little less judgmental, and more interested in what others have to say, rather than use every attempt to put them down.But then I love people and interacting.
Can't remember calling you weird, you might be I don't know

I just don't see why someone isn't allowed to have a shit day and say so without others telling him he's wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.